The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is required to upgrade a 2010 grand voyager standard LX head lights to the limited version with the projector lenses?

Is it just plug and play? Or is it a wiring harness change also?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This upgrade is not plug and play, you will need to either swap out the headlight harness (easy to do with the bumper removed which you will need to do), or modify the existing harness plugs for the headlights slightly by changing the low beam plug to the larger HID plug and the colors are the same between the versions anyway. Either way not too difficult to do.
You will also need programming to enable the Bi-Xeon headlights, I recommend alfaOBD.

Having done the retrofit.... literally 2 weeks ago to my 2009 Dodge caravan, yours will be much easier.

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Michalb.
I picked up one of the HID lights today to try it out while my car is in pieces. I connected a couple wires to see what would happen and the HID’s seem to work without having to program it. Maybe once running it will error or something?
I am hunting for wiring harnesses now to give it a good go and see of. Fingers crossed it all works.
I’ll have to have a look at alfaOBD just incase, thanks for the recommendation.
I take it to add fog lights and allow them to work you would need to program it also? Or do they just work do you know?

I have in the past completed the H9 mod but to be honest it was only very minimal improvement.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Without programming it is sending the bulb check voltage spike, which will kill the HID ballast quickly. Fog lights will also require enabling to work.

My advice... Abort your plans and get LED bulbs. Still enable HIDs with AlfaOBD to stop the voltage spike (it kills LEDs too). You'll get better lighting instead of worse.

If you insist on going with HIDs, get the fog lights working too, so you can actually see the road well enough. Because HIDs suck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Without programming it is sending the bulb check voltage spike, which will kill the HID ballast quickly. Fog lights will also require enabling to work.

My advice... Abort your plans and get LED bulbs. Still enable HIDs with AlfaOBD to stop the voltage spike (it kills LEDs too). You'll get better lighting instead of worse.

If you insist on going with HIDs, get the fog lights working too, so you can actually see the road well enough. Because HIDs suck.
I am with you, the OEM HIDs are not exactly prime time in teh retrofit world. The projector bowls are old design and while they have great high beam, the low beam is sort of narrow and not great. Also the bowls do tend to burn out over time and you get worse and worse lighting.

My goal with my projector light finds is to remove the oem projector and swap it for something more modern, there are EVOX-R projectors that bolt in and that will be my only upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I might have to rethink what I am doing. The car had been in a collision so need to replace the headlights. Was only looking at the Limited lights with OEM projectors as the LX lights suck badly on the open road. Even with the H9’s we can leave our high beams on and don’t get flashed by oncoming traffic as the light output is so pitiful.
Compared to our Falcons the Gran Voyager light output with high beams on is just on par to the lows of the Falcon.
As we do a fair bit of night driving on the highway, that is riddled with Kangaroos, we really need better lights. I did fit a light bar but was installed in the lower grill. Being so low to the ground didn’t really improve the light that much.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Instead of the HIDs, just get the '11+ halogen housings. They have much larger reflector bowls and that will improve lighting. Combine that with good LEDs and you will see clearly for about 1/4 mile. I never used my high beams with LEDs, but use them often with HIDs.

Reactions: syco26

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
It's up to you what you'd like to do, if you're going with used HID's, you'll pay a lot for a set and probably won't feel justified with the results. In this case, LED's really will be the best bet.

I definitely like the projector experience and the look, so I'm going to upgrade the internals of the headlights to newer, better projectors with better bulbs and possibly stronger ballasts.

Otherwise I agree that the factory HID's (at least given that mine are 13 years old) aren't really all that great. Maybe brand new never used factory ones would be worlds better then my 13 year old used ones, but factory components means they are mass produced, so every part has a few weak areas.

The main thing I love about projectors is you have a wider range of vision to the sides that you don't get with the reflector version. I retrofitted 2016 golf headlights to HID (aftermarket headlights) and the brightness is worlds better then the halogens it had before, and also worlds better then the HID's in my van now.

This is my van with LED's (low beam only comparison);

Automotive lighting Window Road surface Asphalt Sky

And this is the same spot with the HID projectors (again low beam only). Notice the grass on the far left of the images and the sharp cutoff line;
Automotive lighting Automotive design Car Window Road surface

My HID's are aimed a bit low in the photo, and these are really dull bulbs. After I replaced the bulbs to newer (but still used) bulbs, they improved a decent amount over these ones, and while I feel they are better then the LED's I had before I swapped over to the HID headlights, to me the cost isn't justified for a used ebay set or new set. But I also had the benefit of finding these at pick and pull in fantastic shape, and for the 20$ I spent on both headlights it was worth it.

I went on a week trip with the van after the retrofit, and while the headlights were still aimed lower then they should be, here's 2 videos with me driving at night with the HID's. I love the cutoff line on highways, but on a small bumpy and hilly side road with lots of turns, the HID's sometimes have a range of less then 5 meters ahead as the road swoops up, and they struggle on sharp left turns as well, but LED's and halogens would struggle more with them.
HID's 1 Highway
HID's 2 Side road Twists & Climbs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to be asking more questions about this.

I got a pair of fog lights and went to plug them in to try to get them working and they don’t fit the plug that I had assumed were for fog lights.

Anyone know what this cable and plug is actually used for?

This is where they are located, one on either side. They were cable tied up out the way but drop down to roughly where the fog lights would be.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

This is the plug on the end of the cable

Automotive lighting Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

This is the fog light and connection to the globe

Camera lens Camera accessory Gas Cameras & optics Auto part

is there a missing loom maybe?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
You grabbed the wrong fog lights for that connector (DGC and T&C use different bulb types). The connector is for PS24W bulbs. So you have 2 options, exchange those for the correct stock type or change the connector to fit the bulb.

Reactions: syco26 and Michalb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Sienile. The odd thing is this is in Australia and we never received the T&C only the Chrysler Grand Voyager (believe the DCG) may be the same. The fog lights are off a 2010 GV Limited where as my car is the base model GV, had assumed they would have use the same bulbs if fitted.
I have never even heard of PS24W bulbs over here. Have done a quick search on line and can’t find any local retailers that stock them either. Guess I’ll be changing the connectors over to the H10.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Thanks Sienile. The odd thing is this is in Australia and we never received the T&C only the Chrysler Grand Voyager (believe the DCG) may be the same. The fog lights are off a 2010 GV Limited where as my car is the base model GV, had assumed they would have use the same bulbs if fitted.
I have never even heard of PS24W bulbs over here. Have done a quick search on line and can’t find any local retailers that stock them either. Guess I’ll be changing the connectors over to the H10.
I'm on the same boat, the harness I swapped into my van also had the exact same connector, I cut it and soldered on the Dodge variant.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
I'm on the same boat, the harness I swapped into my van also had the exact same connector, I cut it and soldered on the Dodge variant.
Really? On all I've seen, Dodge use PS24W and Chrysler use H11. I don't get why they make them different. I'd much rather have H11s, which are much easier to find no matter where you live.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Really? On all I've seen, Dodge use PS24W and Chrysler use H11. I don't get why they make them different. I'd much rather have H11s, which are much easier to find no matter where you live.
The harness I installed for my TPMS sensors/HID's came off of a T&C limited and it had the PS24W, vs the Dodge fog light harness I removed which had H11's. I heard that apparently the H11's are brighter then the PS24W, but I don't know for sure.

The 2011+ Chrysler T&C uses H11's as fog lights, they use projector fog lights instead of regular reflectors like the Dodge counterpart, I'm not sure what bulb the newer Dodge caravans use but seems the PS24W according to you.

I'm thinking of installing the T&C projector fog lights, just because I have them.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
H11 is tons brighter than PS24W. Just a better overall bulb design in general. I haven't seen fogs on a pre-facelift DGC/T&C, but it seems odd that they would change them. Those were both reflector fogs and not projectors, right?

Still haven't put those PT Cruiser fogs in. That's how I'm getting H11s in mine.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
H11 is tons brighter than PS24W. Just a better overall bulb design in general. I haven't seen fogs on a pre-facelift DGC/T&C, but it seems odd that they would change them. Those were both reflector fogs and not projectors, right?

Still haven't put those PT Cruiser fogs in. That's how I'm getting H11s in mine.
Pre face lift were both reflectors yes, the Dodge version had H11's (Like mine was), and the T&C had the PS24W. I always wondered why that was, and to add the H11 is the high beam bulb for the quad headlights so it's odd they didn't just keep fog lights as H11's. I didn't even know fog lights could be projectors until I saw them laying on the ground recently, I'll probably modify a set of normal fog lights and place these projectors inside then install them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts