The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Chrysler Town & Country Limited
16 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the speakers only, especially the front door speakers?
What was the result? ... better sound? worthwhile to do?

Thanks.
I’ve upgraded the speakers in my 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE and my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport and I honestly recommend just replacing the dash speakers and rear speakers, I did it with my 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Limited and it sounds amazing and I got new infinity speakers on the dash and some $55 Pioneer 6x9 3 way speakers for the rear at Best Buy. Also remember that the door speakers are supposed to have a lot of bass and will ruin the quality if you decide to change them I did it to my 97 Grand Caravan and it made them vocal with low bass and sounded terrible

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,980 Posts
I upgraded all the speakers in my 2009 caravan except for the subwoofer which is on the list (I added the premium infinity amplified system to my van which is exactly what you have in yours).

If you like sound I definitely recommend upgrading the doors and all 3 dash speakers. However my biggest complaint on the system is on the lower volumes (16 or less) the front door speakers and subwoofer are almost not audible, which left me cranking the volume to about 20 for a decent sound mix which is not something swapping speakers can really fix.

I ended up swapping to a amplifier from a 2012 Dodge Durango with the alpine sound system, the amplifier looks a bit different but has the same pin outs, same speaker locations, mounts to the caravan amp bracket with the same screw holes, and is plug and play. Sounds much better then the amps in these vans, way better sound mixing across all volumes too.

If you decide to swap the amplifier, be ready to purchase aftermarket speakers for the front doors, the factory infinity speakers produce little to no bass with this setup. I hadn't tested the factory dash speakers with this amp but I think they'd do alright.

Edit:
-The front door speakers and rear quarter panel speakers are 6x9's
-All 3 dash speakers are 3.5's,
-Rear D-pillar tweeters are 2.5's or 2's
-Subwoofer is dual coil 8" subwoofer. Very few subs fit, check fitment with crutchfield.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
9 Posts
I upgraded all the speakers in my 2009 caravan except for the subwoofer which is on the list (I added the premium infinity amplified system to my van which is exactly what you have in yours).

If you like sound I definitely recommend upgrading the doors and all 3 dash speakers. However my biggest complaint on the system is on the lower volumes (16 or less) the front door speakers and subwoofer are almost not audible, which left me cranking the volume to about 20 for a decent sound mix which is not something swapping speakers can really fix.

I ended up swapping to a amplifier from a 2012 Dodge Durango with the alpine sound system, the amplifier looks a bit different but has the same pin outs, same speaker locations, mounts to the caravan amp bracket with the same screw holes, and is plug and play. Sounds much better then the amps in these vans, way better sound mixing across all volumes too.

If you decide to swap the amplifier, be ready to purchase aftermarket speakers for the front doors, the factory infinity speakers produce little to no bass with this setup. I hadn't tested the factory dash speakers with this amp but I think they'd do alright.
View attachment 67684

View attachment 67685

Edit:
-The front door speakers and rear quarter panel speakers are 6x9's
-All 3 dash speakers are 3.5's,
-Rear D-pillar tweeters are 2.5's or 2's
-Subwoofer is dual coil 8" subwoofer. Very few subs fit, check fitment with crutchfield.
So you said you "added" the premium Infinity amplified system to your van. Does that mean your van didn't come with that option to begin with from the factory? If so, I am considering doing the same to my 2010 Caravan with the system from a 2008 T&C but I was wondering if the wiring would be in place in my van already or if I would have to transfer the wiring from the T&C too? Also, my van came with only 6 speakers, but I was wondering if I could also add the extra speakers that the T&C has?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,980 Posts
So you said you "added" the premium Infinity amplified system to your van. Does that mean your van didn't come with that option to begin with from the factory? If so, I am considering doing the same to my 2010 Caravan with the system from a 2008 T&C but I was wondering if the wiring would be in place in my van already or if I would have to transfer the wiring from the T&C too? Also, my van came with only 6 speakers, but I was wondering if I could also add the extra speakers that the T&C has?
Yes I added the amplified premium sound system which has 9 speakers a subwoofer and 11 channel amp to my van which originally had only 4 speakers. My van was essentially a base model before, now it has almost every factory option available.

The wiring is not the same between the 6 speaker system (4 speaker system is the same as 6) and the infinity system, wires are not present in your van for it, you will have to run wires yourself or swap out the entire harness. This is a lot bigger of a job to do then the auto climate retrofit, you need to run wires all the way to the driver side rear quarter panel where the amplifier sits for power ground CAN pair and amp feeds/returns from the radio, then run wires from the amplifier to each individual speaker via 11 channels from the amp.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
9 Posts
Yes I added the amplified premium sound system which has 9 speakers a subwoofer and 11 channel amp to my van which originally had only 4 speakers. My van was essentially a base model before, now it has almost every factory option available.

The wiring is not the same between the 6 speaker system (4 speaker system is the same as 6) and the infinity system, wires are not present in your van for it, you will have to run wires yourself or swap out the entire harness. This is a lot bigger of a job to do then the auto climate retrofit, you need to run wires all the way to the driver side rear quarter panel where the amplifier sits for power ground CAN pair and amp feeds/returns from the radio, then run wires from the amplifier to each individual speaker via 11 channels from the amp.
Yeah, sounds like too big a job for me. Maybe I can find a car audio installer willing to tackle it. What I am trying to now I am trying to do on my own, just getting the main radio unit swapped over and get the Bluetooth and Nav working. Do you know anything about the "programming" that may be required to get it to work in my van or these radio codes I keep seeing mentioned? I know it's just a straight swap and install the GPS antenna, but I am not clear on if it will have to be programmed at a dealership or what?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,980 Posts
Yeah, sounds like too big a job for me. Maybe I can find a car audio installer willing to tackle it. What I am trying to now I am trying to do on my own, just getting the main radio unit swapped over and get the Bluetooth and Nav working. Do you know anything about the "programming" that may be required to get it to work in my van or these radio codes I keep seeing mentioned? I know it's just a straight swap and install the GPS antenna, but I am not clear on if it will have to be programmed at a dealership or what?
The radios are swappable as long as their can system speed is high. If your radio is the 730 RER then no programming is needed for BT or for the nav, you just need all the wiring hooked up properly. Radio codes are for the antitheft system which started late 2011 I believe. This code is needed only if the radio says antitheft on the bottom left of the radio and if you are buying it to put into your van. If you need one, a local dealer will be able to get you the code for 20$ if you give them the serial# part# and a vin to record the service for you.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,980 Posts
Thanks very much for the into!

What door speakers did you put in?
Sorry, forgot to specify what speakers i used.

the front door's and rear quarter panels I used Infinity Reference 6x9's (REF-9632cf which is an older version)
All 3 dash speakers and one D-pillar tweeter are Infinity Reference 3.5's (REF-3032cfx)
The other D-pillar tweeter I will need to modify the bracket to fit the reference 3.5' speaker. The factory are 2.5's or 2' speakers.

If you don't want to buy new speakers and have access to you-pull yards nearby, ram trucks which had the infinity system from 2004-2008 use the same size 3.5's for the 2 corner dash speakers and a same size center speaker as our D-pillar tweeters. The difference is they do not use a paper cone speaker, but a metallic like cone, and decent quality surround material opposed to foam. They sound way better then the factory speakers in out vans, and are completely plug and play. The ram truck infinity door speakers are the same in our doors.

The 3.5" infinity dash speakers in our vans originally:

The 3.5" corner dash speakers from a 2005 ram 1500 with the infinity system:

The center speaker in the ram trucks is also the same metallic material and is the same size as our D-pillar tweeters which are paper. The center speaker has no bracket on it but it still slides into the D-pillar brackets and are secured there very well.

I listen to louder volumes and I hated the distortion from the factory paper speakers, the door speakers were okay but the 3 dash speakers and the rear D-pillar speakers presented a "loudness" and "harshness" at moderate volumes that was irritating for me and a reason why I kept trying different speakers. Not only do these metallic speakers sound better and are more accurate, they also play to full volume without distortion which is really impressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts