The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know how else to describe it. 2016 SXT: when plugging a device into the glove box USB, it will show the charging indicator, then disconnect, then charging, then disconnect, about 1s apart.
It's regular and goes on as long as the device (Android phone) is plugged in. It's like the USB port is getting power to it every other second or something.
Tried different cables, other outlets, no issues- only this one. and of course means I can't use data from my device (LG phone) with the car so that's not ideal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,980 Posts
As far as I'm aware the USB port in the glove box can only play music from ipods and some memory sticks (not 100% sure about the memory sticks). Should charge the phone just fine, what you can try is connect your phone to the BT audio, play something through the BT audio, and plug it in to charge, see if the BT audio keeps working.

But since the power to that glove box USB comes from the BT module under the dash, the cable is thick and I doubt it to be the problem. Try another device, an older phone maybe the fast charge new phones have confuses the phone? And unless the BT itself has issues indicating a power issue to the module, the most likely problem if it's not the device will be the BT module itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I'm aware the USB port in the glove box can only play music from ipods and some memory sticks (not 100% sure about the memory sticks). Should charge the phone just fine, what you can try is connect your phone to the BT audio, play something through the BT audio, and plug it in to charge, see if the BT audio keeps working.

But since the power to that glove box USB comes from the BT module under the dash, the cable is thick and I doubt it to be the problem. Try another device, an older phone maybe the fast charge new phones have confuses the phone? And unless the BT itself has issues indicating a power issue to the module, the most likely problem if it's not the device will be the BT module itself.
That's good information. I'll poke around there and look for anything obvious and report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does the same. It doesn't supply enough power to charge the phone and is shutting down to protect the outlet and the power port. Lower power draw devices work fine.
Dead on the nose. Would it have killed someone to stick a step down converter on that circuit in 2016? Anyway, I fiddled with my Android battery settings to make it default to USB std 500mAh and it works fine now. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Android Auto is not compatible with 2016, so an upgraded media head unit has gone up a couple notches on the wish list...
Thanks again to both

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine does the same. It doesn't supply enough power to charge the phone and is shutting down to protect the outlet and the power port. Lower power draw devices work fine.
Dead on the nose. Would it have killed someone to stick a step down converter on that circuit in 2016? Anyway, I fiddled with my Android battery settings to make it default to USB std 500mAh and it works fine now. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Android Auto is not compatible with 2016, so an upgraded media head unit has gone up a couple notches on the wish list...
Thanks again to both
Yep, when I got the van I fiddled with attaching an SSD to the USB. No matter what I used would not work. Using a USB power meter I could see that anything drawing more than 500ma would simply not function; the port shuts off power once the current draw exceeds that. The front USB port on the radio seems to be more robust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts