The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To save a few dollars, I plan to replace my own Transmission fluid (in 2017 DGC SXT @ 128,000 kms).

Currently waiting for:
  • Internal Oil Filter (Fram FT1240)
  • NEW (better) ATF belly pan - from Dorman 265-833
  • New longer / drain plug (Dorman 090-049CD)
  • Oil Pan gasket Fel-Pro TOS 18757
  • 6 bottles of Mopar ATF+4 synthetic fluid
As suggested many times, I plan a simple drop, natural drain and replace. NO Flushing.

If its underbelly factory ATF rubber / soiled Oil lines are leaking (or being a preventative upgrade), should I also replace with Stainless Steel braded lines? see attachment... Or, stay with factory OEM?

White Light Product Auto part Jewellery

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update:

Today @ 145K kms (83K miles), I replaced my 217 DGC's ATF belly pan, its inner ATF filter and its ATF fluid (as per my opening post). Did the DIY work in my driveway and used car ramps to get my older age body under the van. All went great (as planned). I will re-check its ATF fluid level and any possible leaks in 5-7 days. If wondering, my van's ATF hoses are good (and not touched).

If thinking of saving a few dollars, this ATF fluid change work is an easy DIY task. Especially self taught via U-Tube videos. Note to the guys: New DIY task = must need new tools as well. smiles.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
The hardest and most frustrating part of this project is the little tiny retainer clips that hold the lines on. Very small, easy to loose, easy to bend out of shape or put on wrong, and hard to source if you lose one.

Deceivingly EZ to remove. If you wear bifocals, the 2 on top of the tranny are the hardest.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I highly recommend the Lisle 22930 tool to release the clips. Well worth the $20.
That cheats by not removing the clips, but just releasing them. Pretty cramped and tight areas to use the tool, especially at the radiator side-- not much space to slide that tool into - so not exactly without frustration. (Yeah I bought one, and returned it).

More like worth $5, because that's how much I paid for a replacement set of clips.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That cheats by not removing the clips, but just releasing them. Pretty cramped and tight areas to use the tool, especially at the radiator side-- not much space to slide that tool into - so not exactly without frustration.
Interesting, I found the tool slipped easily onto the tubes up top, quick twist and pop the tube out. Worked very well on the tubes at the trans also. No need to deal with the clips bending, being dropped or flying to who knows where.

Note there are a number of designs for the clip release tools, I specifically called out the Lisle 22930 as it is low profile and designed for tight spaces.

Metal Fashion accessory Household hardware Engineering Machine

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I bought the 22930 also, but I agree with Cciman. It's possible we got a bad one, but it did not work on the Chrysler products lines, specifically the 62TE in vans. Don't know why, but it sits in a box now. Pretty useless for us compared to using a pick with a rag around the clip to catch it.

To change the lines, it is so much easier to remove the front "bumper" fascia. Only takes literally a few minutes and all the clips are easy to get to.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

ggoose, will you post a detailed picture of the inside of yours. Ours has extremely sharp inside edges that seem to bite into the clips more than moving them out of the way. And it was hard to get leverage to turn the 22930 in tight quarters.

So the pick and a rag works for a lot less. YMMV

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
I bought the 22930 also, but I agree with Cciman. It's possible we got a bad one, but it did not work on the Chrysler products lines, specifically the 62TE in vans.
Maybe you did get a bad one, the one I bought worked fine on my 2009.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Did not work for me. I tried on both sides of each line--- failed to work, and not enough space. So back to the old school method of prying the clips out individually. I also learned to place a white rag or plastic sheet around the work areas, so if the clip did fly off, it would not go into the recesses of the back of the tranny, or the dirt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts