The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
2 questions

Good points. Yes, I have found the upper limit on driveability to be about 25%. No, it's not a true CAI....it's a conical filter but it does have double the filtration area that the 3.8 needs and it's a nice add-on.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Chrysler used TBI on the 318 and 360 starting in the late 80's.

The current crop of vehicles had better be able to handle at least E-20 as that is what Minnesota will be going to in the next couple of years.
The buttholes that run this state don't leave you the option of 87 octane E-0 like other places such as South Dakota.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update--last week I added 6 gallons of E-85 and filled a tank that was already 10% ethanol. That made about 37% ethanol and I have noticed more of a drop in fuel economy. Still no check engine light. I now get 17-18 mpg where I used to get 20-21. $3.05 a gallon beats $3.89, however, even adjusted for worse mileage. The car is slightly more sluggish but still drives well; you just have to be a little heavier with the pedal. On a freeway trip at 70-75 mph right after the fillup, I averaged 19mpg on a stretch where I usually get 21.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I upped my mixture this week to 50% (11 gallons E85 + 9 gallons E6). Still no problems! The T&C seems to like it just fine, with no check engine light. Mileage in the city is down from a normal 16-17 to 13-14.

·
Latent car nut
8,963 Posts
I upped my mixture this week to 50% (11 gallons E85 + 9 gallons E6). Still no problems! The T&C seems to like it just fine, with no check engine light. Mileage in the city is down from a normal 16-17 to 13-14.
Are you not concerned about the long-term effects of running that much ethanol through your fuel system? I'm thinking that if you continue using high ethanol blends that sooner or later, you're going to be faced with a fuel system repair bill that ain't gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
E85 Works

hi Guys!! I have been running E85 in a 93 caravan for about 3 years ,,, about 25000 miles!! no ill effects i can see... except less cost per mile....remember .. E85 is at least 90 octane rated ..I also add a little over-the-road diesel fuel to aid in upper cylinder lube (10%)... it also increases the mpg by 20% ...
the guys at Indie are runnin 100% an goin like mad!
just an afterthought .....

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
Heck, why not throw some bunker oil and in there, while your at it...

Very recent Indy cars are designed & optimized for E100 and it's burn characteristics. Your old van is not, not even for E85. You're giving up power, compromising seals, and not taking any advantage of the higher octane.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy...

-Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
hi Guys!! I have been running E85 in a 93 caravan for about 3 years ,,, about 25000 miles!! no ill effects i can see... except less cost per mile....remember .. E85 is at least 90 octane rated ..I also add a little over-the-road diesel fuel to aid in upper cylinder lube (10%)... it also increases the mpg by 20% ...
the guys at Indie are runnin 100% an goin like mad!
just an afterthought .....
Ive been wondering about E85 for my 93 Caravan 4 cylinder. Some of the mechanics are divided on weather I can run it or not :confused:
Can anyone here tell me for sure :help_wsig ??

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
E-85 will not harm your fuel system. That is an urban legend, old wives tale, or just not true, what ever you want to call it.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
In an old vehicle without viton rubber seals, it is not a good idea. There are mods other than just jets done on alcohol carburetors such as different floats and such.
I have had a friend and 2 coworkers use E-85 in non-E-85 vehicles with bad results.
The most recent one was not as bad as the Toyota Avalon a coworker ran it in was able to correct for most of it, but did throw a code.

I have noticed some stations in the Southern part of MN and in South Eastern SD selling E-30.

MN is going to all E-20 in the near future unless the current Governor's Green bill gets repealed at the deadline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
e85 the big hoax

check this out for yourself,,let us know what you think,,
2002 caravan 3.3 reg unleaded no ethanol=24.5 mpg @3.69gal
10% ethanol unleaded=19.4mpg @3.62gal
the great new hope e85=16.9mpg @3.44gal
Do the math,,you will spend the little extra to get ethanol free gas and enjoy the gas milage benifit,,if I wanted to get 16.9mpg I would have kept my old delta 88 with the 455 rocket,smoked the tires from every stoplight,and slept in the trunk when i needed a place to crash,,just me the newbie inciting a riot,:Charles

on the e85 damage front,,the wife overdosed the sons s10 pickup with e85,two days later he got towed back home,,his in-tank electric fuel pump looked like it was disassembled in the tank,,I guess it needed all the rubber that kept it in one piece,most rubber that was left was like tar putty and a bugger to get off your hands,,126.00 and new lines to fix,,cheap lesson,,she is NOT driving the 68 firebird as I hid the keys,,heh heh heh
CT

·
Latent car nut
8,963 Posts
Do the math,,you will spend the little extra to get ethanol free gas and enjoy the gas milage benifit...
While it is true that adding ethanol to gasoline will reduce your fuel economy, the jump from 100% gasoline (E0?) to gasoline with 10% ethanol (E10) will NOT drop your mileage from 24.5 to 19.4. Most scientific studies report a reduction in fuel economy from three to eight percent, a far cry from the more than twenty-six percent you're reporting.

FWIW, I just drove our 1998 3.8 DGC from Bethlehem, PA to southern New Hampshire two days ago, and my tank was full of E10 fuel. What was my mileage you ask? Over the 323.4 miles I averaged 25.7 miles per gallon, and the route that I took included many-many long grades that were steep enough to cause the transmission to come out of lock-up. Had I been on flat roads, I'm quite sure I would have recorded closer to 27 mpg on E10. Not too shabby.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Assuming all those MPG figures are for the same style driving (it has to be highway, with that 24.5 MPG for regular gas), your experience is far from ordinary. We noticed a 20% decrease in MPG from regular gasoline to E85. We got about 25 MPG, like you, on the highway with our 2003 Grand Caravan. With E85, that figure was about 20 MPG.

You're reporting a decline of about 31% from regular gas to E85. That's quite a lot. Most of us who have used the fuel report a 15-20% decrease. And with the very small price difference, you're right that it doesn't make sense for you to use it. Around here, it's at least 20% cheaper than regular, so you break even when you use it.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
E85 is 90 cents cheaper than E10. The difference in mileage is 8%, which I know from driving with it daily. One or two tanks is not enough to give you a true determination on mileage loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
93 dodge caravan 3.3 l

I have a dodge caravan also with 3.3 liter only thing i recommend is change fuel lines since my fuel lines started to leak after about a year use of e85. been using e85 for over 2 years now and van runs great on it.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
Dad runs his 1974 Barracuda on E85 with no problems at all (3000 miles a year). We changed the fuel lines when restoring the car in the early 90's.

He runs 50/50 with his 01 Ram and has no problems at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading this forum sometime ago, I too tried, E85 in a 1992 Dodge Caravan, and after about 27,000 miles I have not had expensive fuel system repairs, leaks or any other problems that others on this tread are so worried about.

There is one issue accurately discussed, what mpg do you obtain with E10 vs E85. My mileage drops from 23 to 19. I appreciate the original post.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
23 to 19 sounds about right. My van goes from 17 in town to high 13's. I've only tried a couple of highway tanks, but I match you for the highway.

·
Registered
369 Posts
FWIW, I used to mix E85 and 87 regular gas w/10% ethanol in my 2005 Dodge Neon (non FFV). There was a break point where the car would run worse. If I filled it up w/E85, you could feel the hesitation, loss of power, etc. It would start hard in the cold.

However, if I added about 25-35% E85 to my tank of regular gas (already 10% ethanol), I would actually notice an improvement in performance. I suspect this is due to the higher octane rating of E85.

Like everyone else has noted, I would lose about 15-20% MPG efficiency when running ethanol though.

I tried running a blend of ethanol and gas in my 2003 Ford Focus SVT (requires 91 octane), and it didn't like it at all. I thought maybe the higher octane rating of E85 would allow it to run OK, but I'm guessing it couldn't adjust the fuel curve to give me adequate A/F ratio when running ethanol, compared to gas.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as most of you....I believe the idea of not being able to run ethanol in a "newer" car a joke, or scare tactic, to drum up new car sales.

There are definitely some instances where it might cause problems (high mileage cars) due to being such a strong solvent that it will cause debris that has been in the lines/tank for years to suddenly come free and clog up filters. But once the filters are changed you shouldn't have any negative effect.

The only holdup is the limited flow of your injectors, and the ability of the PCM to adjust the A/F ratio as needed. But even that has its work arounds (bigger injectors, custom tune, etc.)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts