The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to troubleshoot a rattle on my 2004 Grand Caravan 3.3 V6.

It is generally only present at idle, and increases in volume when the A/C is on or I'm actively turning the steering whee

I pulled the belt and everything spun fine. I pulled the power steering reservoir and cleaned the screen. In the process of reinstalling the reservoir I knocked the line off to the brake booster, so when I started it, the rattle was 90% gon

I noticed a high idle, and after a quick check I popped the line back on, then the rattle came back full force. So, I pulled the line and it decreased. While I can't imagine the problem is specifically brake booster related, I now believe it has to be air related. This is a video of what THAT sounded like.

Today I started spraying starter fluid along some vacuum lines. When I hit the 3-way connection at the batter box the rattle instantly went away, but came back during a short test drive around the block.

I'm kind of wondering a bit more about the physics of that battery box. I see no visible cracks in the lines or box, and I guess my next step is to just start replacing them one by one. But does anyone have a quick fix here that they may have experienced in the past?

Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
My 2005 3.8L used to make a similar, but decidely less intense, version of that sound at idle when the oil was a bit low. Yours is definitely more severe and vibrational sounding though... so may be altogether different; however, it couldn't hurt to try topping off the oil if it's a bit low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts