The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Dodge Grand Caravan with HD brakes
Installed new rear rotors from RockAuto
DYNAMIC FRICTION 60440113 {604-40113} (Fully Coated (Maximum Protection For Rust Prone Areas)) GEOSPEC Coated Rotor Rear; Dual Piston Front Calipers

Once I got in there I decided to change the pads as well. They werent bad but I couldnt stand putting used pads on these pretty things :) I'll come back around with an update and pics in the Spring of 2023. Interested to see how well they survive.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim

Reactions: Scot_W

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Always interested to hear how these "rust resistant" rotors work out. I've replaced standard rotors with "coated rotors" from autozone before and they rusted in a couple of years! I just put on a pair of the E3 electroplated rotors on the front of our van, and they have rusted on the braking surface after one winter - had to scrape the rust scale off. Only found out about that after putting the same plated rotors on the rear, and the front of another van. The iron they use these days is cheap, so even though coated they will rust on the braking surface faster.

Reactions: sstressfl

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always interested to hear how these "rust resistant" rotors work out. I've replaced standard rotors with "coated rotors" from autozone before and they rusted in a couple of years! I just put on a pair of the E3 electroplated rotors on the front of our van, and they have rusted on the braking surface after one winter - had to scrape the rust scale off. Only found out about that after putting the same plated rotors on the rear, and the front of another van. The iron they use these days is cheap, so even though coated they will rust on the braking surface faster.
I keep trying to find a better solution.... but I suspect its just a fact of using salt to melt ice and snow off the roads. If I could get one more season out of these I'd be happy. I will come back around in the spring :)

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
569 Posts
Coating is useful for the non-wear surfaces (rotor hat) but doesn't do squat on the wear surface. If you don't drive regularly, the wear surface will rust. As long as you drive at least every 3-4 days, it should be alright. If it regularly sits for a week or more, the rotors will be done after 2-3 years (speaking from experience).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coating is useful for the non-wear surfaces (rotor hat) but doesn't do squat on the wear surface. If you don't drive regularly, the wear surface will rust. As long as you drive at least every 3-4 days, it should be alright. If it regularly sits for a week or more, the rotors will be done after 2-3 years (speaking from experience).
My cars are driven daily in the winter so I was hoping to slow the rate of rust buying a coated rotor (and this is a diff kind of coating). I know it's impossible to stop the rust, but if I can get a little more life I'll be satisfied. BUT, evenso, the calipers can be a real problem. If they rust up and stop working, then the brake surface of the rotor gets destroyed with rust, even if it's the first winter. I need a huge heated garage (Lord willing, maybe someday?) so I can do mid-winter brake tune-ups. That would be the key to long life.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
I've used them, various -they are like stainless steel-- rust resistant, not rust proof, You might get an extra couple months on the appearance. Salt water is potent stuff. The mounting faces are what is important. Cosmetics, not so much. The edge and vents of the rotor are going to rust, period.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used them, various -they are like stainless steel-- rust resistant, not rust proof, You might get an extra couple months on the appearance. Salt water is potent stuff. The mounting faces are what is important. Cosmetics, not so much. The edge and vents of the rotor are going to rust, period.
Yes I am aware they aren’t rust proof :) I’ve used painted/coated rotors before and they gave me a couple extra months but these are supposed to be a little different. And DFC is a newer company. Great reviews. I’m looking fwd to seeing how they perform.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 winters, 40k miles of hard use on my Powerstop Evolution brakes on my 2018. View attachment 67448
Very nice (y) I used to live in MI and northern IL. The winters were paved and that made a big difference. I've never seen anything like rural Vermont where 50% of the roads are dirt! And we live on one. And in this state they use hardpack (its like cement dust) that gathers in the calipers and brake pad slides. This causes the brake pads to seize which causes the caliper to stop moving which allows rust to grow rapidly. I might be fighting a losing battle. I suspect the only thing that might save me is a mid-winter brake rebuild. Tear them apart, clean everything, put them back together. BUT I am willing to try anything that is supposed to help slow or battle rust. That's why I clean/repaint my wheel wells/suspension and brakes every year.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
WI recently started using liquid salt on the roads, which rusts everything in short order. They spray the crap between snowfalls and really anytime they feel the roads are looking too normal colored......

That being said, I pull my brakes apart every 15k or so and clean/grease everything to keep things in top order.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WI recently started using liquid salt on the roads, which rusts everything in short order. They spray the crap between snowfalls and really anytime they feel the roads are looking too normal colored......

That being said, I pull my brakes apart every 15k or so and clean/grease everything to keep things in top order.
Yes indeed the liquid salt is effective at clearing roads and saving lives but man it sure does a number on the cars. Great job on the brakes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts