The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'm wanting to put the 01+ intake manifold on my 99 engine.

I intend to "delete" the EGR as it doesn't function properly with my free flowing exhaust anyway, so routing that won't be an issue.
I also intend to run the intake plenum "backwards" to keep the TB on the same side.
I know I'll need to rewire the sensors, that's no big deal.

Will my fuel rail work with the new setup?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of to make this work?

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Fuel rail is different, as it is a big central rail in the middle of the lower intake manifold instead of the split one on each side that the earlier engines have. There were some that deleted the pulsation dampener on top of the rail, and those would be the ones to use when switching the plenum around to redirect the throttle body. Or, you could make plenum-to-runner spacers as long as your hood will clear the plenum when shut.

You'd have to make a new upper bracket for the alternator, if it will still fit in the rear upper location. It will be close! Just that flat upper brace that connects the upright bracket to the intake plenum, so should be pretty simple to make.

I also read in an old thread from FastGC (he was a troller here years ago) that there is a bigger throttle body used on some V8 engines. I got one off of I think a 4.7L and it's a little bit bigger, but the butterfly opens in the opposite direction that the van ones do. Might be worth figuring out since you've opened up the breathing of your engine/exhaust considerably.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel rail is different, as it is a big central rail in the middle of the lower intake manifold instead of the split one on each side that the earlier engines have. There were some that deleted the pulsation dampener on top of the rail, and those would be the ones to use when switching the plenum around to redirect the throttle body. Or, you could make plenum-to-runner spacers as long as your hood will clear the plenum when shut.
****. I forgot about the rail being different. That by itself makes this substantially harder as I have the return style rail on my engine and don't want to mess around setting it up for the returnless style.

You'd have to make a new upper bracket for the alternator, if it will still fit in the rear upper location. It will be close! Just that flat upper brace that connects the upright bracket to the intake plenum, so should be pretty simple to make.
This isn't a big deal, honestly speaking it may be fine without it completely judging by the number of 2nd and 3rd gens I've seen with that top bolt completely missing......... But I could easily bend something up for that.
Clearance on the rear alternator may be an issue?
Guess I was figuring that should clear no problem, especially with the plenum flipped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts