The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this. Besides plasticing off the alternator and connectors any other recommendations? The plan is just hose pressure.

I travel a lot of gravel roads and it's quite dirty. I don't want to spend hours doing it by hand though.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
If you do it when hot you could crack the manifold.

For me the more Fluid Film on an engine, the better. Less electrical glitches with Fluid Film protection. Fasteners don't tend to seize up either. A clean engine is open to moisture getting into connections, hoses drying out and corrosion of parts/fasteners..

My Jeep engine looks like a grease pit, but it just keeps on purring, doesn't mind it at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have tended to try to keep engines clean on prior cars using degreaser and hose. I usually had squeaking fan belts that I could not correct with belt dressing. Current car and prior 2005 T&C stayed cleaner and I didn't hose those engines. Fam belts have been quiet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tended to try to keep engines clean on prior cars using degreaser and hose. I usually had squeaking fan belts that I could not correct with belt dressing. Current car and prior 2005 T&C stayed cleaner and I didn't hose those engines. Fam belts have been quiet.
yeah I'm reluctant to do it. I think I'll just hand wash with some brushes and shop rags next weekend.

I'm kinda superstitious about this old van. It's been running great forever now and I don't want to jinx it.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
yeah I'm reluctant to do it. I think I'll just hand wash with some brushes and shop rags next weekend.

I'm kinda superstitious about this old van. It's been running great forever now and I don't want to jinx it.
Yes, don't borrow trouble. Spray the engine bay with something that repels moisture and protects from corrosion plus doesn't gum or harden up (stays wet).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Anyone done this. Besides plasticing off the alternator and connectors any other recommendations? The plan is just hose pressure.

I travel a lot of gravel roads and it's quite dirty. I don't want to spend hours doing it by hand though.
I'm going to blow everyone's minds right now:
Engine bays are not sealed, your engine and connections get wet anytime you drive in the rain, go through a car wash, etc.

Simple degreaser/hose rinsing an engine isn't going to hurt it, if it does, it's because it already had issues such as a vacuum leak or failing electronics.

I usually keep my stuff clean, it helps me catch any leaks before they become bigger issues, and helps keep my vehicles in top shape. This means my engine bays get cleaned at least twice a year, sometimes more.
I use my pressure washer and a spray on solution of Dawn dish soap and water. I only avoid directly spraying the ECM/TCM/connections.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
The wetness/dampness, driving or sitting still, causes corrosion, especially in a coastal climate. Corrosion causes fasteners to seize up or corrode away and green stuff to occur on electrical connections, including battery terminals. Yes, most everybody treats their battery terminals to something oily (starter connections too). Dielectric grease, now that's good stuff, don't want to wash that away.

I spray wash my engine bay right after I de-rock my tires. :)

Reactions: Woody05

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you decide to wash the engine:

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Cover the TIPM (Senile is spot on with this!)
3. Clean engine while cold.
4. If using degreaser, cover your starter motor to protect the bearings from having the lubrication wash out. Alternator too. Should be sealed against low pressure water intrusion, but why take the chance.
5. LOW pressure water stream or pressure washer from a distance.
6. Dry the engine bay with low pressure air (fan, backpack blower, etc). DON'T force water into any connectors - just speed up the evaporation.
7. Reconnect the battery ONCE EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY DRY.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
absolutely do not hose it! you could cause a lot of damage.
Yes, I searched the maintenance manual page by page. Could not find any time or mileage metrics for washing the engine.
Hope someone else is a better searcher than I am.
:)

• Haha
Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Use a protectant/water repellant, not a de-protectant/water inducer.

I don't even leave my push lawnmower out in the rain.

Acid in rain = acid in well water.

Coastal environment and road salt perform their best in dampness.

Armor All Ultra Shine Spray Wash In Engine Bay - Game Changer!

:)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Use a protectant/water repellant, not a de-protectant/water inducer.

I don't even leave my push lawnmower out in the rain.

Acid in rain = acid in well water.
Oddly, the same Acid in rain that gets all over your engine bay every time you drive on a rainy day.........

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Oddly ... ha, ha ... it's hot in that engine bay, especially with the 3.6L I pity the poor rain drop that gets in there. Driving, without a hood, would be no comparison. Driving in pouring rain, without a hood, would give the engine a thorough cleaning though, plus a few un-benefits. :)

Anyway, to each his own, I prefer spraying with Fluid Film. If wiped off it creates a beautiful shine. I don't do that, too much glare. :) FF penetrates, repels moisture, creeps, lubricates, protects, stays wet, doesn't gum up, what more could one ask for? Mushrooms and onions? :)

FF even changes the faded grey fender flares on the Jeep to black. Works on cleaning up headlight lenses too, but eventually wears off.

Krown and Rust Check should work pretty much the same.

Again, to each his own. I water sprayed an engine a little too eagerly one time and cracked an exhaust manifold. That was a lesson learned. The 2.6L had a California exhaust manifold on it and needed to be changed over to get regular exhaust parts, so wasn't a big deal, bur still, a lesson learned in my younger years. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You'd be surprised by how much water actually gets in your engine bay, even on the newer stuff.

My 2018 for instance will get enough water in the engine bay in a mild rain that there will be standing water on the engine cover. If engine bays were as tight as people think, they wouldn't use water tight electronics under the hood, there'd be no need.

Fluid filming an engine bay seems like a great way to ignore potential issues hidden by the film, but hey, you do you.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Better fix that hole in your hood, I've never noticed any water on my engine cover, nor water stains.

I know why. FF repels water. (y)

Off topic, but engine bay, question for you:
When you replaced the top Y in your heater hose, did you cut the hose or disconnect the fittings?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts