The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Water in gas? 3rd Gen 3.0L

Tags
fuel gas water
4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  04anniversaryedition 
#1 ·
Every week or so my van runs really rough, no codes! Then I pour in gas cleaner, dry gas, whatever you want to call it. That fixes it, and it runs great again. I have tried buying gas from different places, no difference. The tank can be full, or 1/4 full, no difference. I buy fuel system cleaner by the 6 pack! There has to be a better way!
Any suggestions? Baroldo.

#2 ·
Crack in fuel filler neck or bad gas cap? Cracked hose or something? You are using 87 Octane right? Somehow water is getting into your gas tank. I'd investigate further and check all lines and stuff for cracks or something strange.

#3 ·
+1 on rusted/ broken filler neck.

Do you have a CEL? Because a leak in the gas tank would cause an evap code.

#4 ·
No codes, no rust or obvious leaks. Always does it at home instantly on start up. Clears up right away when I put cleaner in. I am beginning to suspect fuel filter, or pick up screen in the tank. I don't want to go there unless I am 100% sure that's what it is! Thanks for your input. Baroldo Florida.

#5 ·
Is yours a flex fuel engine? I have read that some of them sense the fuel incorrectly, setting it for E85 and it doesn't run well with normal gas. I understand "dry gas" is mainly ethanol, so you might be effectively mixing your own E85, i.e. at high expense. I don't think water in the gas is an issue today since most gas has 10% ethanol already, which dissolves water.

#6 ·
3.0 never came factory to accept flex fuel. It was a 3.3 thing only.

#7 ·
Well, I found the problem! It started running rough when I started it a couple of days ago. I left it running (barely) and got out a little bottle of gas cleaner, and headed for the gas filler. When I released the gas cap, there was a whoosh of air, and then the engine started to run perfectly well. I was still standing there with the unopened gas cleaner in my hand. The gas cap wasn't venting, causing a partial vacuum in the tank, as fuel was being pumped out. I guess this prevented the fuel pump developing enough fuel pressure for the injectors. Neither the gas cleaner, or what I believed to be water in the gas had anything to do with it.
I can't believe this simple little problem fooled me for weeks! I hope this helps someone else!

#8 ·
Good to hear it was something simple. Its mind blowing that a gas cap can cause those problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.