The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I've looked high and low but can't find the output wattage for the 430 touch screen radio system.

Does anyone know what the output is on this radio and or how many speakers are in the 2013 Town and Country?

·
Registered
48 Posts
James,

Great question, and never really thought about it myself. I have a 2014 T&C S model with the 430N system and have six speakers. After about 15 minutes of looking through my manuals (owner's manual & Uconnect manual) and the sales brochure, the only answer I could find is that the Limited models (for 2014...but should be the same I think) have nine amplified speakers and a separate 506-watt amplifier. Not a word on the standard output. Now I'm interested in the answer...

Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The world sure has changed, used to be stuff like that would be clearly listed in the owners manual.

My van arrived today but I didn't get a chance to try out the 430. Maybe tomorrow? Things were too hectic today.

I so totally love the back up camera! This van is wheelchair accessible so the rear end is up taller than stock, that doesn't help the view from the rear view center mirror. :)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Okay, there are 3 different audio options offered in 5'th gen vehicles (In terms of speaker setup). The first 2 are the same, and in fact if you have the base system you can add 2 additional speakers that sit in the dash because the wiring is there already.
-The base 4 speaker system has one speaker in each front door and a speaker on each side of the 3'd row seats. They are 4 ohm, 15W each. From the radio, wires go direct from the radio to each speaker and back, same goes for the intermediate system below.
-Then next available config is a 6 speaker system, same as the 4 speaker system except you add 2 dash speakers, one in each corner (mid-high range speakers with a bass block) They are wired as parallel circuits, and are 4 ohm as well I believe, although I am not 100% sure, I saw some have 8 ohm.
-The premium audio system has 9 speakers plus one sub woofer, this system is entirely different then the other 2 systems which are the same. There are 3 dash tweeters, one speaker in each front door, 2 speakers in the 3'd row, a sub woofer right above where the jack is in the driver side rear behind the 3'd row seats. In addition, there are 2 tweeters mounted facing forward and are located in the upper rear D-pillar. This system uses the Infinity brand speakers, and contains an audio amplifier behind the sub woofer. These premium speakers are all 2 ohm, and I believe are still 15W but I don't know 100% because they are only labeled with a part number and no specs listed. The amplifier is 506W total at max volume. The speakers are wired different for this system, the radio sends 4 pairs of wires to the amplifier, (as if for 4 speakers) then the amplifier splits the frequencies for each speaker then sends it to each speaker. The return then goes back to the amplifier and back to the radio.

-You don't need a build sheet to see what system your vehicle has, firstly, open the rear gate and look to your left. Above where the jack sits there is either a storage bin or a speaker grille. If you see a speaker grille, then you have the premium 10 speaker system and the sub woofer is behind that grille.
-If you have a storage bin above the glove box then you either have the 4 or 6 speaker system. If you take a flashlight (even a phone flashlight) go to either side of the vehicle in the front and look at the windshield. If you look at the whole plastic piece that runs along the windshield base, you will see the windshield defrost outlets, you will see 3 circular "holes" that have a speaker like grille there. It's one piece of plastic that includes the speaker grilles. Shine the light into one of those outer ones and see if you see a speaker there. Be aware you actually see a speaker there, chrysler and dodge both added these foam pieces to cover those holes below the plastic grille to try prevent more noise going into the cabin. So if you look, make sure it's a speaker and not a piece of circular foam. If you see a speaker there in the dash, you have the 6 speaker system, and if you do not see a speaker there, then you have the base 4 speaker system, which if you're looking to upgrade I recommend adding a pair of dash tweeters there since the wiring is there already, just have to do some looking along the main harness to find the connector.

-I don't know the output wattage for the radio itself (as how mich power it uses), I don't know where you would even find that. But I do know the output for the speaker systems. If you have the 4 speaker system the radio puts out 4 15W signals to each speaker, meaning you have a 60W output to all the speakers combined. The 6 speaker system might have either 15W or 10W dash speakers, making that system output to the speakers 70W or 80W. The premium speaker system has 506W going to the amplifier at max volume but it draws power from the fused B(+) wire, which is the same wire that goes to the radio. That wire goes to the TIPM which draws power from the battery.
Any more questions just let me know, I did a upgrade from the base 4 speaker system to the factory 10 speaker system except I wasn't able to get the center dash speaker going, I used 2 way crossovers for the front and 3 way crossovers for the rear. and I made the system the premium system minus the center speaker and I didn't hook up the amp, although I partially hooked it up just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
1 Posts
Hello Michalb and thanks for the great information, i just bought a 5th Gen Dodge (430N radio and 6 speakers) and was searching for radio and speaker information, you mentioned that you did an upgrade an added the front dash speakers, i would like to upgrade all 6 of my speakers and wondered how difficult it was to get to the ones in the dash ?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Our '14 seems to be more powerful than 15 watts/channel. Maybe 50. I don't know if it's 4 or 6 speaker. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is great information. I have either the four speaker system or the six speaker system. I'll have to get one of my friends who can walk to lean over the dash to look for either form or a speaker. Or I'll have to just use my phone camera and move it around up there.

I can say that at least with the windows up going 70mph on the freeway, I set the volume control to 25 and it's plenty loud so I guess it doesn't matter how many watts the stereo is rated for, it's just me being curious. :)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Hello Michalb and thanks for the great information, i just bought a 5th Gen Dodge (430N radio and 6 speakers) and was searching for radio and speaker information, you mentioned that you did an upgrade an added the front dash speakers, i would like to upgrade all 6 of my speakers and wondered how difficult it was to get to the ones in the dash ?
I upgraded to the OEM premium infinity speakers, the dash speakers are really easy to get to, I have an 09, Dodge/Chrysler did an interior update in 2011 which they changed a lot of stuff, but I believe the procedure is still the same. By the windshield where the dash speakers are located there is a strip of large plastic which has the speaker grilles and the defrost vents on it, it's one piece of plastic. You just have to grab a small flat head and stick it in between the gap of that plastic piece and the dash. Just pry it, the plastic piece will pop up, and you have to go along the whole piece as there are multiple clips there. Once you got the front clips all out, then you grab one side of the plastic piece and pull (either the driver side or passenger side) and the rest of the clips will come loose and you just pull the piece out and away. The clips by the windshield will clip back into place by just pushing it into where it needs to go. The dash speakers each have 2 cross screws holding them in place, those are inconvenient to get to but with a very small screwdriver you will get at them no issues, or you can also use a longer screwdriver bit for the screws and use needle nose pliers then grab the bit on the screw and twist it out (that's that I did). Just be aware that if you get aftermarket speakers, they might be a pain to get into those holes, crutchfield says they are too narrow for aftermarket speakers with the windshield so close and they recommend tweeters, I think that if you remove the trim piece that sits on top of the radio you should be able to sneak any 3.5 inch driver there using the gap that radio trim piece has then slide the speaker far right or left to it's respective place. But never actually tried it.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
That is great information. I have either the four speaker system or the six speaker system. I'll have to get one of my friends who can walk to lean over the dash to look for either form or a speaker. Or I'll have to just use my phone camera and move it around up there.

I can say that at least with the windows up going 70mph on the freeway, I set the volume control to 25 and it's plenty loud so I guess it doesn't matter how many watts the stereo is rated for, it's just me being curious. :)
It's not a terrible system, I found that the rear lacked bass and the dash speakers really make a huge difference once I added them, it still wasn't the best system out there but it was significantly better then the base 4 speaker system, at least for the front. It also sounds a lot better using a crossover to split the frequencies properly to their respective speaker, the 6 speaker system has the 2 dash speakers wired in parallel with the front door speakers, with a bass block for the dash speakers. That means that the dash speakers play mid and high frequencies and the door speakers play all the frequencies, a crossover can split it better and send the high frequencies to the dash speakers and the mid and low frequencies to the door speakers which allows the speakers to play more accurately. Again, massive improvement with minimal costs, gives more bang for the door speakers and you hear upper notes that you never heard before from the dash speakers. It does require cutting your speaker wires so you can send one signal into it then it splits off the frequencies directly in the small box then sends them right to their speakers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I don't have the dash speakers I'll see about adding them, but I doubt I'll add the crossover. Still, the speakers sound pretty good and it's plenty loud.

The system didn't have enough base for me so I played with the equalizer and brought the base up slightly.

I need to grab a USB3 cable and plug my phone in so I can copy my music over. Yesterday I listened to Pandora from my phone via bluetooth. I rarely listen to FM unless I'm just driving around the small town I live in, and I don't listen to AM at all, though I should at least program the traffic alert frequency in.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
If I don't have the dash speakers I'll see about adding them, but I doubt I'll add the crossover. Still, the speakers sound pretty good and it's plenty loud.

The system didn't have enough base for me so I played with the equalizer and brought the base up slightly.

I need to grab a USB3 cable and plug my phone in so I can copy my music over. Yesterday I listened to Pandora from my phone via bluetooth. I rarely listen to FM unless I'm just driving around the small town I live in, and I don't listen to AM at all, though I should at least program the traffic alert frequency in.
If I'm not mistaken, the 430 system had the 6 speaker system as a standard feature, don't quote me though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could turn it up and feel around the sides of the dash for thumping noises. :)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
I could turn it up and feel around the sides of the dash for thumping noises. :)
Well, since they play mid-high frequencies you likely won't feel any thumping sounds like your door speakers, you could try listening to a normal song at normal volume and place a piece of paper over your side dash grille that's there, see if it makes any difference to the sound, if there are speakers there you will hear the passenger side dash speaker and it will feel like it's missing the divers side :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good idea, and easy to try. Much easier than me trying to video the speaker grilles. Maybe I can plop my cat down on the speaker grille? Probably not, my cat has no sense of humor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried covering the driver's side dash speaker grille with the owners manual while the stereo played. I couldn't tell the difference, then again I am 60, but I'm guessing I have just the four speakers.

I couldn't get my phone camera up there close enough to see in to the grille, even with the phone light shining. I'll have a buddy check this weekend.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
I tried covering the driver's side dash speaker grille with the owners manual while the stereo played. I couldn't tell the difference, then again I am 60, but I'm guessing I have just the four speakers.

I couldn't get my phone camera up there close enough to see in to the grille, even with the phone light shining. I'll have a buddy check this weekend.
Just look through the windshield and you'll be able to see, yours is also the newer version which has circles as the grille instead of a simple lines of plastic. I listed a photo with the speaker, and one without.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As it turns out my powerchair does have an elevating seat so I'm going to give that a try.

Another good tip.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have to say I have a four speaker system. It might be interesting to add two additional speakers but not necessary.

Sorry about the glare, I couldn't get in a position to block it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I was looking at pics of the OEM speakers and I can't decide if what I see on mine is the screen across the speaker or just a hole filler. Mine doesn't look exactly like either of Michael's pics, but I can't make out a speaker.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts