The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Mystery solved. I found the build sheet, my van has six speakers.
Good to know, the 6 speaker setup isn't bad I had the 4 speaker system, the moment I hooked up the dash speaker it sounded way better then just the 4 speaker system. I now have the full infinity system (just finished hooking up the amplifier 45 mins ago) Kinda disappointing the sub is... so quiet... Even more quiet then my setup with crossovers. No worries I will steal a sub amplifier from a Caliber and I will instantly have a much more powerful sub! :) The rest sounds good though, did you have any luck updating your 430? I also wanted to ask if yours is Bluetooth steaming capable? I have to add the U-connect cables for the mike, but I saw that these radios are Bluetooth stream capable, my 09 likely has the option but needs an update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as i know only the 730 n is stream capable i just upgraded to that on my van and im happy with the bass the sub does but i got an aftermarket amp sensing about 50 rms to the sub and also upgradednto the infinyty speakers including the tweeters in the back i use tobhave the 6 speakers now i got 8 and a sub

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I did finally update the firmware. Looks like the current firmware is a few years old though.

I regularly steam Pandora from my phone through my 430. It's not foolproof, it once lost contact with the phone while streaming and switched to FM radio. Not sure why, my phone could have been at fault.

Also had it streaming audio from satnav on my phone telling me where to go, I didn't have my phone where I could watch it so relied entirely on the turn by turn voice functionality.

Next month I hope to upgrade to the 430N.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
As far as i know only the 730 n is stream capable i just upgraded to that on my van and im happy with the bass the sub does but i got an aftermarket amp sensing about 50 rms to the sub and also upgradednto the infinyty speakers including the tweeters in the back i use tobhave the 6 speakers now i got 8 and a sub
Did you use crossovers for the conversion? I had the infinity amp and I had some time so i thought why the heck not run wires for the full infinity system, before that I used 2 way crossovers for the front (2 dash tweeters and 2 woofers in the door) and 3 way in the back so I had the 9 speaker system (only missing the center dash speaker). The sub lacks power at lower volumes and somehow steeply increases as you increase with volume with the infinity amplifier, has more kick at lower volumes with the crossovers on their own. I am trying to add a dodge caliber dedicated sub amplifier to amplify the sub signal from the infinity more, I will see what that does but should have enough kick, assuming I can get wiring for the amplifier, also assuming it doesn't destroy the speaker but it shouldn't. But the infinity amp does a fantastic job otherwise, in the front the sound is a lot better then just using crossovers, the rear is still good but equal to using the 3 way crossovers, except the rear quarter panel speakers have a lot more kick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didnt put crossovers just yet i want to waith till a get a smaller amp cause the one i used its old and big and since im planing to put it in the jack location ill waith to disasemble that but i can tell you the sound its good altought the bluethooth streaming is kinda lower compared to radio or satellite i belive i have the latest software but i cant find a place to download the latest one anyway i even try diferent apps i know im probably not using the infinity speakers full potencial since i run them trought the radio but to install the factory amp with can bus involved and the wiring harness needed to be changed i decided to live with that. The sound is good enought for what it is depending on the kind of music it shakes the cabin but what i like about it its that the sound its clarier and richer compared to the 6 speaker system and ren unit before, im not about loudnes but fidelity but i definetly love the bass so in the future im planing to change the sub for an aftermarket good unit since i allready have all the wiring and most likely the newer amp hooked up

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
I didnt put crossovers just yet i want to waith till a get a smaller amp cause the one i used its old and big and since im planing to put it in the jack location ill waith to disasemble that but i can tell you the sound its good altought the bluethooth streaming is kinda lower compared to radio or satellite i belive i have the latest software but i cant find a place to download the latest one anyway i even try diferent apps i know im probably not using the infinity speakers full potencial since i run them trought the radio but to install the factory amp with can bus involved and the wiring harness needed to be changed i decided to live with that. The sound is good enought for what it is depending on the kind of music it shakes the cabin but what i like about it its that the sound its clarier and richer compared to the 6 speaker system and ren unit before, im not about loudnes but fidelity but i definetly love the bass so in the future im planing to change the sub for an aftermarket good unit since i allready have all the wiring and most likely the newer amp hooked up
It actually wan't that big of a deal, I did a parallel circuit from the radio harness to the amplifier, and I simply connected the can bus + with the + and the - with -. Routed power to the amp from the power driver seat, ran the wires along the doors by removing the plastic floor pieces and ran wires for it that way. It's not a bad system, but I really feel the bass lacking, with the sub which was the only reason I actually installed the amp so the sub got more power, which I cannot tell much of a difference until I reach too loud for me then I can tell a difference. The center instrument tweeter wan't a huge improvement either, I was actually quite surprised the tweeter itself isn't very loud, it makes a small difference when i connect and disconnect it (it plays hig mid range frequencies) but nothing huge, I was expecting it to play mid range frequencies like singers singing, it's a confusing system. The sound is a lot better for the 6x9 speakers both in the front and back, these things have more kick to them then the original crossover setup, and the sound sounds nicer and better balanced as a whole, and comparing the front to the rear sound the front is quite a bit better, but I liked the crossover setup too, there is a slight difference but it's nothing huge.
-Regardless of anything else, the goal was to have the sub play louder without using an aftermarket amp (just because I don't have the budget for it) And I got a dodge caliber sub amp (the Premium Boston Acoustics system amp has separate sub designated amp from the main amp) So i will be trying to retrofit that into my van, the nice thing is that the power is already there (there is an inverter above the rear left wheel well which my van was not equipped with, but the wires are there so I can use the power from that) And in theory it should provide the level of bass for the sub I wanted, while having a great sounding rest of the system. I'm also having fun just adding factory options to my van

·
Registered
22 Posts
If u happen to have a pic of thebschematic or how did u get the oem amp working i might think about it altought im not entirely sure since my van has a bit of option and i belive the the electrical load in the system its quite heavy i got factory dvd screens and the power inverter also i can see a bit of a diming in the dash light when i crank the volume around 32 but the temptation is there best case senario i think would be crossovers and a 5 channel amp but those might be to big to install in the jack storage 🤔

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Here are some spare periods I found laying around. Feel free to use them.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
If u happen to have a pic of thebschematic or how did u get the oem amp working i might think about it altought im not entirely sure since my van has a bit of option and i belive the the electrical load in the system its quite heavy i got factory dvd screens and the power inverter also i can see a bit of a diming in the dash light when i crank the volume around 32 but the temptation is there best case senario i think would be crossovers and a 5 channel amp but those might be to big to install in the jack storage 🤔
I did indeed get a wiring schematic, the power shouldn't be an issue, or at least I haven't found it an issue, even cranked up to maximum volume. You will need a diagnostics tool and FCA or other programs to activate the amp, or the dealer can activate the sound system as well. The sound system interestingly receives only 2 input signals from the radio, the rear right signal and rear left signal and each have their own ground back to the radio. The rest is wired from the amp to the appropriate speaker, nothing else is hooked up to the amp. I used a 18 Gauge speaker wire to run everything, including the power to the amp, I bout 30 meters of it too, I think I used 3/4 but you have to remember that I also used the wire when i was adding the crossovers to mount them into a specific place. I did crank the volume up to full for a few minutes to see if anything would overheat, the wires were not hot and the amp was a bit warm, otherwise nothing bad. I for sure won't be using anywhere near full volume when i drive it.
-The amplifier sits behind where the sub is (the OEM infinity amp) and it is out of the way of everything so no issues if you do install it there, like the factory does.
-If you plan to use crossovers and cut your harness, the layout is very logical of the speaker wires, you don't even need to solder on anything to your harness. As long as you tape the crossover box to the harness so it doesn't dangle on the speaker wires.
-I will post the schematic later, I need to get photos first

41 - 49 of 49 Posts