The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Welcome To ALL

81K views 131 replies 71 participants last post by  John.K 
#1 ·
I want to again, welcome all ( new and old) to this fantastic forum that Glen has set up for us. I know that there is a lot discussed in here and I hope that we all learn something each day from here.
One thing I have noticed and I hope that we can change it. I know we get alot of new members posting for thier first and second and third time with a question on a problem with thier van. They come in and ask a question. Many on here try to post a reply to help them. I would like to ask a few things of all of you ( new and old alike).

PLEASE Post the model, year, engine and miles on the vehicle you are asking about. The second and very important thing to me is -- AFTER you get all the answers from the members -- PLEASE come back and let us know how it is going and if the replies helped you. I see so many threads just dropped and no idea if we helped them or not. If we didn't, PLEASE don't be afraid to let us know. We may come up with other ideas and/or someone new may come in and they might have the answer. Alot of times, a KISS answer is the best one to start with and then we can go deeper if needed. Besides, if it helped you , we can know for future postings and problems.

We are not looking for a thank you from you, (although not necessary, that would be nice) only a confirmation that we helped you out or that we didn't and ( instead of being disheartened and leaving us) we needed to dig deeper to get to the problem.

Thank You for your attention and go on back to having fun. :w00t

See less See more
#2 ·
Well said DSMLVR,

I suggest that everyone should include the name, year and engine size in their signature. That way, it will be handy just incase ya forget to include the model and engine in question..

Thanks!

Have fun! :)

#3 ·
I suggest that everyone should include the name, year and engine size in their signature. That way, it will be handy just incase ya forget to include the model and engine in question..
Great Idea, however most who do this are NEW members and they don't know thier way around here yet. They also are only on here to ask a question and then disappear. You would not believe how many times I see these same EXACT question on 2-3 other forums by the same people. I don't mean to say that everyone is doing this, but some do.

Changing my sig now. :tup

#4 ·
Hi everybody, I'm a new member with a 1996 Chrysler T&C LXi. I had an explorer and decided I needed more room for kids. I researched around and found that the 96-98 T&C's were excellent luxury minivans and were relatively cheap. So I had to have one and the only one I could find that was privately owned was purple. So about three years ago I became the proud owner of a purple Minivan. Love it!! I bought a 2000 T&C(red, more manly) but didn't like the way it drove. It seemed heavier and more ponderous to drive. It had heated seats and I felt as if I was seating on the seats instead of in them. So away it went. I've had a few problems, ECU, front hub, brake cyclinder, door lock modules, the usual, nothing that I would say is excessive. I just bought a 98 Volvo v70 T-5(high pressure turbo wagon) to replace my van and realized I still really, really like my van. So now I'm thinking of doing some maintance on it. Its got 125k and I need to do the waterpump, but I was thinking of changing the trans fluid. The trans has been working fine exceept two or three times its gotten hung in second. I parked it and it worked fine and hasn't done it in 18 mons or so. Do you guys think its worth doing? I know to change the filter and was going to get aftermarket ATF +3. Thanks for any imput and am glad to be a part of your forum.

#5 ·
Yes, it is worth changing the fluid. Aftermarket ATF+3 should be fine.

#7 ·
DSMLVR said:
One thing I have noticed and I hope that we can change it. I know we get alot of new members posting for thier first and second and third time with a question on a problem with thier van. They come in and ask a question. Many on here try to post a reply to help them. I would like to ask a few things of all of you ( new and old alike).

PLEASE Post the model, year, engine and miles on the vehicle you are asking about. The second and very important thing to me is -- AFTER you get all the answers from the members -- PLEASE come back and let us know how it is going and if the replies helped you. I see so many threads just dropped and no idea if we helped them or not. If we didn't, PLEASE don't be afraid to let us know. We may come up with other ideas and/or someone new may come in and they might have the answer. Alot of times, a KISS answer is the best one to start with and then we can go deeper if needed. Besides, if it helped you , we can know for future postings and problems.

We are not looking for a thank you from you, (although not necessary, that would be nice) only a confirmation that we helped you out or that we didn't and ( instead of being disheartened and leaving us) we needed to dig deeper to get to the problem.

Thank You for your attention and go on back to having fun
well said DSMLVR, well said :thumbsup:.

It's a rpet peave of mine to follow the whole thread with a problem and get to the end and then thats the end :mad:It's like reading a book and the last 10 pages are gone.

I would love to see this happen as well.

Rob/HBT :wave:

#10 ·
#9 ·
Welcome to the forum mini-89.

Thinking of buying a new engine for my baby when it gets 300k miles.
NEGATIVE THINKING. :jpshakehe Drive and enjoy your 89 mini. IF you have engine problems by 300k , then decide what you are going to do. Think positive and enjoy your mini. :thumb:

#11 ·
Hello all. New member here from Raleigh, NC Just bought 2000Dodge Grand LE caravan....102+K miles....now I'm the 4th owner. Has all options that I care about and then some. 3.8 auto, power everything. I need an owners manual and would like to find the smll net that mounts between the front chairs.I'm 69...just retired from Time Warner Cable and WRAL-TV (newsman) and am looking forward to some trips with the eife and our dog Duffy. Guess he's the real reason I bought the van! Also have 99 Toyo Tacoma and a 2000 Buick Century which I wil lsell as we don't need 3 vehicles. I had the LE checked out by a shop which I trust and they said it's in good shape...will soon need front pads and one of the valve covers is seeping some oil. I've read a lot about window regulators....are they a weak point with these vans? Formwer owner also had AC completely re-done....seems to work fine. Look forward to hearing from you folks....let me know if you have a front seat net you want to sell. Best, Tom Lawrence tom lawetal

#13 ·
...just retired from Time Warner Cable and WRAL-TV (newsman)
Welcome! We watch you all most every night. Love "the Fish" and his geeky plays on words! :thumb:

#12 ·
Hey Ya'll! I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country I bought from some friends. I have a 66 Chevy Pickup that I have owned for 23+ years and have pretty much redone it all. I participate in "Chevy Talk" quite a bit so I was very happy to find this site. When I was a kid in the 50' we always had MoPar's, my old man loved them. We had a 51 Chysler that had the "Automatic" three speed on the column and that was the care learned to drive as we drove back and forth from Chicago to LA on 66! I have already posted a question and got a reply so, thanks!

#14 ·
Introducing myself.

Hi!

I'm Slow Sam. I own a 1990 Caravan, Base model, 7 passenger, 2.5 liter turbo with a 5-speed transmission. I bought it about 10 years ago with 120,000 miles on it. It now has about 275,000 miles. Needs some work, but still runs pretty well.

I do most of my own mechanical work, which helps with the Caravan.

Got to go now and finish buttoning up after replacing a headlight switch. More on that later.

Slow Sam

#126 ·
Introducing myself.

Hi!

I'm Slow Sam. I own a 1990 Caravan, Base model, 7 passenger, 2.5 liter turbo with a 5-speed transmission. I bought it about 10 years ago with 120,000 miles on it. It now has about 275,000 miles. Needs some work, but still runs pretty well.

I do most of my own mechanical work, which helps with the Caravan.

Got to go now and finish buttoning up after replacing a headlight switch. More on that later.

Slow Sam

"turbo Gus Mahon" 89-91 2.2L and 2.5L

#15 ·
hello

First posting to any forum. Owner of a 1997 T&c lxi AWD. Am looking for advice/experiences with replacing rear nivomat shocks. Trusted mech said "naw" just replace with good gas charge light truck shocks same thing. 6 Mths later and watching 3rd row person bouncing of the headliner in the mirror was wondering if anyone has used the sachs replacement units. And being Canadian have you imported them from US vs local purchase. Love the van and want to use for as long as economical (gas $$$$)

#16 ·
First posting to any forum. Owner of a 1997 T&c lxi AWD. Am looking for advice/experiences with replacing rear nivomat shocks. Trusted mech said "naw" just replace with good gas charge light truck shocks same thing. 6 Mths later and watching 3rd row person bouncing of the headliner in the mirror was wondering if anyone has used the sachs replacement units. And being Canadian have you imported them from US vs local purchase. Love the van and want to use for as long as economical (gas $$$$)
Welcome! :beerchug:

To say that your mechanic misinformed you is an understatement. Your van (which apparently has the towing package) actually has lighter rear springs than the standard vans, and absolutely, positively needs the Nivomats to be safely operated.

Regarding the Sachs replacement units, I've heard generally good things about them and they can be safely used as direct plug-n-play replacement parts.

Keep us posted.

#17 ·
New to this site and forums in general. Just became the proud owner of a 1994 Grand Caravan 3.0 and am looking for some knowledgeable companions. 176,000 miles and no complaints at the moment; slight oil leak from pan gasket and the radio (factory) is not functioning (no indication of juice) but the price was right. Looking forward to conversation and wise counsel.

arcanius
South Bend, IN

#18 ·
I am new and have been finding some great information on this site. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I have a problem with my 2003 Grand Caravan with the radio and AC going on and off. When they are off, the windows don't work either. I replaced the accessory relay but that did not help. I switched relays and the problem still exists. Could it be the main control modul or a breaker of some sort?

#19 ·
Hi I'm Kimbo and I'm a newbie. I have a recently purchased '93 Caravan to replace my aging 84 Cutlass diesel. It has a 2.5 4 cylinder and 144xxx miles. The dealership I work at was good enough to sell it to me instead of wholesaling it out :thumb:
I'm a single mom :help_wsig , and although it's not considered cool to have a minivan, I'll probably buy a newer one when I can afford it.

#20 ·
Don't worry Kimbo. I'm a single mom also. Hated the idea of needing a minivan after T-bug was born. After a couple of adventures and bumper stickers, I've grown quite attached to my "Lucy". And as far as cool... I was thinking of adding undercarriage lighting someday. :biggrin: Just be happy you have enough room for kids and groceries. Now if they'd only start putting in the limo dividers to separate the driving mom from the kids.....:ninja:

#22 ·
let me try this again...

Hiya, guys... and gals...

I have two vehicles, one running, one not...

The 'eternal problems'... things going wrong, not enough information in the owners manual or the 'fixit book', don't know whether to trust dealers, mechanics, or the people at the auto parts store...

I could do much of the needed work myself, with the right tools, and the right information... and save a bunch of money...

I stumbled onto this site 'by accident'... and I am glad that I did...

I have learned a lot from my 'dead' vehicle, and hope to find some good info to keep my 'new' vehicle running well...

Quick question... a year or so ago, I heard on the news that Chrysler was being 'bought', as 'they' say, 'lock, stock, and barrel'... in order to become a privately owned company which would not have to publicly reveal certain info... like profits...

I assume that the deal was done... Has this resulted in any change in the quality of support I will receive from Chrysler as the owner of an 'older' ( 'legacy' ) Chrysler vehicle???

I realize that this question is off topic, and I know that the answer may be already on the forums somewhere...

Please respond privately, and point me toward the information if it is already here, or advise me of where to post the information where others will find it...

All for now,

regards...

dnorm

-----------

#23 ·
Welcome to the forum!

You heard correctly -- Chrysler is now private. I do not recall hearing anyone complain about a reduction in support for legacy vehicles, so far.

#24 ·
A New Newbie

Hello All .. Newbie here.

I must admit, I discovered this site quite by accident while seeking out a recent mechanical prob. Owning a Dakota and a Voyager with high mileages however, I thought ... this is my kinda site! I'm looking 4ward to sharing some thoughts and experiences with members here.

'88 Dakota 3.9L .. Dunno the mileage (but it's high) and it's parked and I won't part with it cause it's been good to me but my Dad gave me his Voyager.

'92 Voyager 3.0 L - (379,000k or 235,500m) - My present mode of transportation and still tickin' ... er, I mean kickin'.

Would add pics if I knew how. Already spent an hour tryin to downsize & insert em (yes I read the FAQ). :ask_wsign

Anyways ... nice to be here!

John

#26 ·
:hi2: acisidro and welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forum. We hope your experience here is a pleasant one.

What's your vehicle repair experience level? lots? backyard mechanic? as a hobby? as employment?

Following are some tips to help with giving / receiving information when using the site:

Signature / Site Use:
Including your vehicle information such as model, year, engine size and odometer reading, with your signature, will help tremendously with getting good feedback (less guesswork). Good, you have done that?
To thank a Poster for their feedback / information, click on the Thanks icon in their Post (bottom right). Most times, that button works, and the thanks will show up at the bottom of their Post, if not, come back later and try again.
If you think a Post is inappropriate and needs to be reported to the Moderators, check the icons in the upper right for "Report Post".
For the general breakdown of content for the site, click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/
For the rules of the road for the site click on http://www.chryslerminivan.net/legal.html
For FAQs regarding "General Forum Usage", "User Profile Features" (including private messaging) and "Reading and Posting Messages" click on FAQ in Menu or click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/faq.php

Library Information - General:
Your local Library subscribes to various data bases of information, some of those may be related to automobiles. Typically, using your Library card # and a Library password, you can access this information at home. It may be worthwhile checking with your local Library to see what they have available and how to access it from your home computer.

Library Information - ARRC:
Public access to this has been changed. If your library has access to EBSCOhost Databases, then go to the Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC), and submit your vehicle model year and take it from there.
Note: If info isn't there for your year / model, try another year or similar model.

Haynes Manual:
- inexpensive, about $30.00
- gives replacement / repair procedures
- gives maintenance schedules
- gives torque specifications
- gives fault codes
- gives information on regular maintenance
- gives information on tires
- gives information on body work
The manual is a worthwhile investment.

#28 ·
welcome acisidro from a fellow newbie ... I appreciate the response u recieved from Jeepman cause I'm feelin somewhat lost in here. good luck and happy touring.

:hi2:
:hi2: jonbovy and welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forum. We hope your experience here is a pleasant one. No need to send you the other stuff, you have already seen it. :thumb:

Any questions that need answering or things that need explaining :ask_wsign

#29 ·
Hello everybody, Newbie here from Kamloops BC Canada.. :thumb:

#30 ·
Hi Bart68 (Darren) and welcome to the Forum. A fellow Canadian, eh. What's the year and engine for your Dodge minivan?.
For an extended welcome, click here.

#31 ·
I have noticed lately that a lot of newbies are not putting their vehicle year,model, or engine size in their signature. Is there a way to bring this to their attention. It makes it easier for us not to have to turn back to their first post to identify it.:blink:
Thanks.

#37 ·
Bump: how about bold letters. PLEASE Post the model, year, engine and miles on the vehicle you are asking about.

#32 ·
Hello all!

I have also stumbled to this website by accident and I must say it is great! Bought my car couple of months ago imported from US from it's previous owner and love it all they way, as do my 3 kids and wife!

Thanks