The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Caravan/ Town & Country
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound is maddening of the squeaking squeaking squeaking I tried alternate methods and it's good for a bit and then it squeaks again.

Was just replaced not too long ago I'm thinking it's the grade of belt at this point anybody recommend a premium belt?

What is the best brand if I am building a Superman Edition of the van? Maybe i should call it Black Adam Edition... is that cooler? ::)

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
A Kobra serpentine belt would be cooler.

Product Font Goggles Art Automotive lighting

Product Font Technology Gadget Art

What brand are you using now?

Reactions: godtheater

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Dayco, Gates or Continental are reputable brands. Sienile said the 5th Generation had Continental, I believe. That may vary.

Gates tends to be more expensive = better. :)

I have a Gates (DGC) and a Kougar (Acura) in my stash right now.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
I've read that bent water pump pulleys are a thing with these vans (4th gen) and a sideways bend in one will make a belt squeak every rotation of the pulley. I had a harmonic balancer with a side wobble (not "true") on my 3rd gen that would make a rhythmic squeak at idle, so I replaced the harmonic balancer and it got better. I ran a Dayco poly ribbed belt on that, and it was quiet until the water pump pulley had a wobble. Replaced the water pump pulley with a used one that was true, and it still had a squeak. I used a cheap Valuecraft belt from autozone on it, and the rough crosshatched back of that belt did the trick of stopping the squeaking for quite a while.

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
When the one on the Jeep chirps, I spray a little Fluid Film on it. Quiets things down. In fact, I haven't heard it chirping for a long time. Must check to see if I still have one. :)

Power steering pump pulleys can be a little hard to get on fully.

Never a chirp on my 2002 or 2007 in spite of alternator and power steering pump replacements. Neven replaced a water pump on those, shouldn't have to if the coolant is maintained properly.

I replaced the power steering pump after a major steering rack leak (broken line/corrosion)

The last water pump I replaced was on a 318 V8, decades ago, as part of a timing chain replacement.

Loosen the belt and check for worn pulleys. Any rattling or grinding?

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Maybe replace the unknown AutoZone/Advance Auto belt first and while doing that, check/replace the tensioner.
If the belt is EPDM, not neoprene, it should last a long time.
Back to Post #8 re pulley and belt noise checks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts