The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question, on my2002 grand caravan, what does fault code P1684 mean? Would this result in rough shifting? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Here is the Definition of your Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
MakeDodgeYear2002ModelCaravanEngine3.3Vehicle SystemTRANSMISSIONDiagnostic Trouble Code ( P1684) DTC Definition:
Battery Power To Module Disconnected

This is what the actron reader site says. You need to check your electrical wiring harness to the tranny. Could be loose or coroded or bad ground.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
If you disconnected your battery you will get a P1684 code for the next 50 restarts, if you bother to check the readouts. That's the most common source of P1684. It means that there has been a power interruption to the TCM (transmission control module) as dun4now has pointed out in Post #2.

With my 2002, I will get a check engine light a couple times a year (for the past 3 years) and the codes will be P0456 (small evaporative leak) and P1684. However, that has to be a glitch as the battery wasn't disconnected. So, I disconnect the negative battery terminal and clear the P0456 code. After 50 resarts, the P1684 code disappears as well. That problem usually happens this time of year only. I have also had a similar experience with the Jeep. Go figure.

What is your situation as to the P1684 code showing up? It shouldn't cause a check engine light on its own.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If you disconnected your battery you will get a P1684 code for the next 50 restarts, if you bother to check the readouts. That's the most common source of P1684. It means that there has been a power interruption to the TCM (transmission control module) as dun4now has pointed out in Post #2.

With my 2002, I will get a check engine light a couple times a year (for the past 3 years) and the codes will be P0456 (small evaporative leak) and P1684. However, that has to be a glitch as the battery wasn't disconnected. So, I disconnect the negative battery terminal and clear the P0456 code. After 50 resarts, the P1684 code disappears as well. That problem usually happens this time of year only. I have also had a similar experience with the Jeep. Go figure.

What is your situation as to the P1684 code showing up? It shouldn't cause a check engine light on its own.
Not to steal the thread but I have done battery disconects in the past and no codes show up on mine. (scratching my head).

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Not to steal the thread but I have done battery disconects in the past and no codes show up on mine. (scratching my head).
Did you actually check for codes? The check engine light does't come on for a P1684 code, otherwise it would continually annoy you for the next 50 restarts..
Perhaps the 3rd Generations are different .... don't know.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Did you actually check for codes? The check engine light does't come on for a P1684 code, otherwise it would continually annoy you for the next 50 restarts..
Perhaps the 3rd Generations are different .... don't know.
That's what I was saying, after a disconnect I check for codes with the trip button and it does the tests but comes back clean. It doesn't tell me I had the disconnect, that's what I meant.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
That's what I was saying, after a disconnect I check for codes with the trip button and it does the tests but comes back clean. It doesn't tell me I had the disconnect, that's what I meant.:lol:
Any time I disconnect the battery and then check for codes, I will get P1684 showing up. Your 3rd Generation Van is hiding information from you. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe that this is a software bug which will not be fixed by Chrysler/Fiat. I had an 0456 code ie EVAP small leak. Had dealership fix the 5 dollar hose and 100 service charge. The 1684 battery code is now gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P1684 fault code solved

I had the P1684 code on my 2003 Town and Country van but had no obvious reasons for the code until the transmission started upshifting for no reason. After long observation of the problem, I determined that the issue was with the throttle position sensor. Replaced the sensor and the code went away. Transmission shifting returned to smooth shifts. Increased power on gentle acceleration.

Observed symptoms were: upshifting on level and slight inclines with cruise control active (speed did not change), sometimes had slightly rough idle with tendency to stall with gentle take offs until the engine was at operating temperature, occasional hard shifting from 1st to second gear, Codes P1684 and P1699 (intermittently) displayed.

P1684 appears to be a best guess by the computer to a failing throttle position sensor. The sensor is checked at startup, but it seems there is no code for a failing or noisy sensor during vehicle operation. Before going through a time consuming and costly repair process, I recommend replacing this $27.00 part first. I did not disconnect the battery as I wanted to see if the code would clear on its own after the part replacement (which it did after driving the appropriate amount of time).

·
5000 Club
5,754 Posts
I had the P1684 code on my 2003 Town and Country van but had no obvious reasons for the code until the transmission started upshifting for no reason. After long observation of the problem, I determined that the issue was with the throttle position sensor. Replaced the sensor and the code went away. Transmission shifting returned to smooth shifts. Increased power on gentle acceleration.

Observed symptoms were: upshifting on level and slight inclines with cruise control active (speed did not change), sometimes had slightly rough idle with tendency to stall with gentle take offs until the engine was at operating temperature, occasional hard shifting from 1st to second gear, Codes P1684 and P1699 (intermittently) displayed.

P1684 appears to be a best guess by the computer to a failing throttle position sensor. The sensor is checked at startup, but it seems there is no code for a failing or noisy sensor during vehicle operation. Before going through a time consuming and costly repair process, I recommend replacing this $27.00 part first. I did not disconnect the battery as I wanted to see if the code would clear on its own after the part replacement (which it did after driving the appropriate amount of time).
Actually no. P0220 through P0229 are codes for the TPS. P1684 indicates a power interruption to the PCM almost always caused by disconnecting the battery. P1684 is an informational code that won't turn on the CE light.

Reactions: JC1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Twice now in the last couple of weeks, I've had a problem starting the car… meaning that I go to turn the key and there's just a click so I turned the key back, try it again (another click) and usually the 3rd time that I try- the car starts but I get this P1684 code. My thoughts on this before I go under the hood is that maybe I have a bad ground or need to tighten battery terminals?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Twice now in the last couple of weeks, I've had a problem starting the car… meaning that I go to turn the key and there's just a click so I turned the key back, try it again (another click) and usually the 3rd time that I try- the car starts but I get this P1684 code. My thoughts on this before I go under the hood is that maybe I have a bad ground or need to tighten battery terminals?
Getting a click means the relay is working. No click, click, click ......... means the starter solenoid isn't working and it should work, even if the battery is run down a little, sufficiently to not power the starter. Problem could still be at the relay though, I suppose. Check the relay terminals.

Sounds like a power interruption. How did you clear the code, it may be left over? P1684 can be a glitch code at times as well. This time of year I have had P0456 and P1684 show up together, unexplainably, on the 2002 GC and the Jeep. Clear them and good for another year, most times. May happen twice a year. Clear and ignore.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Getting a click means the relay is working. No click, click, click ......... means the starter solenoid isn't working and it should work, even if the battery is run down a little, sufficiently to not power the starter. Problem could still be at the relay though, I suppose. Check the relay terminals.

Sounds like a power interruption. How did you clear the code, it may be left over? P1684 can be a glitch code at times as well. This time of year I have had P0456 and P1684 show up together, unexplainably, on the 2002 GC and the Jeep. Clear them and good for another year, most times. May happen twice a year. Clear and ignore.
Could be the starter itself. Tap the starter with a hammer or bar, to see if that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ran out of gas today and when I went to start van battery was dead! I luckily had a new battery with me so I switched it out, only I had to pull on my cables a little bit to get them to connect. Now I have same code.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Ran out of gas today and when I went to start van battery was dead! I luckily had a new battery with me so I switched it out, only I had to pull on my cables a little bit to get them to connect. Now I have same code.

Do you have a CEL light showing up? If so, there's likely another code showing up as well if you use a scanner or the "key dance".

The P1684 code will hang around for up to 50 restarts after a battery disconnect. Don't worry about it normally. Your situation may be different for some reason. Won't know until you check for other codes.

Some recent discussion on the P1684 code:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a CEL light showing up? If so, there's likely another code showing up as well if you use a scanner or the "key dance".

The P1684 code will hang around for up to 50 restarts after a battery disconnect. Don't worry about it normally. Your situation may be different for some reason. Won't know until you check for other codes.

Some recent discussion on the P1684 code:
I have 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 3.8L. Almost a month ago I got the p1684 code. I googled what it could’ve meant and it discussed like a battery issue, but it mentioned that it shouldn’t have much of a effect on the vehicle and I also didn’t experience any issues besides the fact 2 weeks ago it didn’t want to start. So I kinda ignored it, now today I was curious and did the key dance. It showed two more codes. P0305 and P0456. Could this be related to the P1684 code and what could be done to solve it?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
P0456 is a small evaporative leak code and will usually cause a CEL. Not normally a CEL with P1684 code

My 2002 DGC use to have a CEL come on in the Fall of the year. The codes P1684 and P0456 would be stored. These made no sense, especially the P1684 code, as nothing had been disconnected for some time. I would clear the codes, maybe a couple of times (battery disconnect) but of course the P1684 code would stay stored for several restarts. I considered these codes a glitch as this didn't happen for months, an annual event actually.

P0305 is a misfire code for cylinder #5. I have had that code come up on my 2007 DGC, cleared it and it never came back.

Is the P0305 code persistent on your vehicle?

Clear the codes and see what happens.

OBD-II (Check Engine Light) Trouble Codes
OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

·
Registered
2 Posts
P0456 is a small evaporative leak code and will usually cause a CEL. Not normally a CEL with P1684 code

My 2002 DGC use to have a CEL come on in the Fall of the year. The codes P1684 and P0456 would be stored. These made no sense, especially the P1684 code, as nothing had been disconnected for some time. I would clear the codes, maybe a couple of times (battery disconnect) but of course the P1684 code would stay stored for several restarts. I considered these codes a glitch as this didn't happen for months, an annual event actually.

P0305 is a misfire code for cylinder #5. I have had that code come up on my 2007 DGC, cleared it and it never came back.

Is the P0305 code persistent on your vehicle?

Clear the codes and see what happens.

OBD-II (Check Engine Light) Trouble Codes
OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

I not sure if it’s consistent, I had seen the code yesterday. But I do remember not having it until shortly after the p1684 code

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
The P1684 code should not cause a CEL as there is no specific fault. You can disconnect your battery and hook it back up and there will be no CEL although a P1684 code will be stored for about 50 restarts.The P0456 code would cause a CEL though.
Sounding like a glitch to me. Just clear the codes you can and see what happens. Do you have a scan tool? Otherwise, just disconnect the negative battery terminal to clear the codes. They may come back, they may not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts