The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ugh. I hate electronic nanny BS.
Everyone hates the electronic nanny BS till it saves your life someday ;)

Interesting discussion I started, but very informative, especially with do.dah's experimenting. That's the reason I check on these forums every now and then, because you lot definitely seem to know what you're talking about

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
669 Posts
Everyone hates the electronic nanny BS till it saves your life someday
:rolleyes:

The chances of TC saving your life are slim to none. Having proper tires and actually knowing how to drive will do far more for you than any electronic nanny.

I learned to drive and have driven since then without any of that crap, and I'm still here. And, a better driver to boot. So, I'll continue to take my chances without it.;)

·
Super Moderator
28,492 Posts
You deserve a 1953 Dodge Power Wagon. :)
Yes, all that ABS, TC, SCS, and whatever, doesn't compensate for all the other electronic gizmos (IVIS, U-Connect, etc.) that distract the Driver.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
669 Posts
You deserve a 1953 Dodge Power Wagon. :)
Yes, all that ABS, TC, SCS, and whatever, doesn't compensate for all the other electronic gizmos (IVIS, U-Connect, etc.) that distract the Driver.
I was perfectly happy driving my 1983 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Slant 6 with a 1 BBL carb and a Torqueflite 904 auto. No electronics except for the lights, ignition, and radio, which I upgraded with one that had a USB input. It didn't even have power steering or power brakes.:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds to me like your ABS is activating because of the ice. For ABS to work properly and bring you to a safe(r) stop you need to keep your brakes applied. Letting up and/or modulating your brakes, as you would do with a car without ABS is not recommended on an ABS equipped vehicle. On top of ABS bringing you car to a shorter stop than you possibly could, it also allows you steering control. Trust it, it's a great system, It has saved me a couple of time's from being in a very bad accident. Being able to steer while your are standing on the brakes is invaluable.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Asking because I fixed mine earlier in the year and I've never driven on ice with it before. It keeps raining, freezing, thawing and refreezing here. Was driving on my way home slowing to a stop and my brake pedal started thumping and pulsing pretty hard for a few seconds. Went around the block and it did it again, assumed it was TC.

When that happens, do I maintain pressure on the pedal? Or do I let off a bit and let the ABS do its thing? Thanks.
Hi, Wouldn't it be for traction and not braking? That would just be the ABS system, which they all have. I have it in my '05 GC which I bought a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I have to drive the van thru this winter (not happy, but no choice). Anyway, it has the "trac off" button on top on the steering column. I haven't seen any difference to date whether it is on or off. What was wrong with yours that needed to be "fixed"? Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi, Wouldn't it be for traction and not braking? I haven't seen any difference to date whether it is on or off. What was wrong with yours that needed to be "fixed"? Thanks!
Well, the only times that traction control kicked in was while I was slowing to a stop but I'd imagine it would work even if accelerating. I had the ABS light on my dash back in April and it was due to a corroded wire under my fusebox that I had soldered back together, that had the light go off and allowed the TC to come back on

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
TC, on these vans, is only engaged during acceleration. ABS is activated during braking. Simple as that and both work great.

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
51 Posts
Trac and ABS should be mandatory. I have no abs and trac because of a module failure. I slammed on the breaks due to an emergecy and the wheels locked and car went towards oncoming traffic. In a panic, I turned the wheel and nothing happend, then all of a sudden the van went sliding sideways and I was about 1 inch away from getting t-boned. It is very difficut to control any car without it if the road is skewed to the left or right adding to that avoiding obsticals at the same time. I may have overreacted in my breaking and turning, but it is difficult to do the correct maneuvers on a turn with obsitcals in the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Asking because I fixed mine earlier in the year and I've never driven on ice with it before. It keeps raining, freezing, thawing and refreezing here. Was driving on my way home slowing to a stop and my brake pedal started thumping and pulsing pretty hard for a few seconds. Went around the block and it did it again, assumed it was TC.

When that happens, do I maintain pressure on the pedal? Or do I let off a bit and let the ABS do its thing? Thanks.
If it was a violent pump there might be air in the system and you need a machine to bleed it. I had a problem in my vovlo xc90 and the break pedal would pump so bad the car could not stop properly.

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If it was a violent pump there might be air in the system and you need a machine to bleed it. I had a problem in my vovlo xc90 and the break pedal would pump so bad the car could not stop properly.
It was definitely an erratic and clunky brake pump. Dunno if I wanna go through the trouble of bleeding the brakes though

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was definitely an erratic and clunky brake pump. Dunno if I wanna go through the trouble of bleeding the brakes though
It is not something that should be done without a proper computer. If you decide to go that route, just pay a professional

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It is not something that should be done without a proper computer. If you decide to go that route, just pay a professional
You don't need a computer or a helper to bleed or do a brake fluid change. Use a fluid extractor, which is what I use. It works great for brake service and changing other fluids too. I wish I would have bought one years ago.

Eastwood Manual Fluid Extractor Review - YouTube

Quickly & Efficiently Extract Fluids from Cars, Boats, ATVs & more - Fluid Evacuator - Eastwood - YouTube

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Everyone hates the electronic nanny BS till it saves your life someday ;)

Interesting discussion I started, but very informative, especially with do.dah's experimenting. That's the reason I check on these forums every now and then, because you lot definitely seem to know what you're talking about
Haha! I'll take my chances with a 1965 Corvair Monza.....
🤣🤣

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
975 Posts

One thing to know about TC that nobody mention here yet is this, when the van gets stuck in the snow, do NOT use TC, deactivate it. Then you can finally rock the van out of the hole you got it into. TC is for road use, not being stuck in the snow.

Learned this when the DW got 2 miles from home and stranded on the hwy that wasn't plowed. The drifts were high. She got the van stuck in 3FT deep snow. I told her to get in the truck and head home, I'll join yah all later. I took TC off, and bet her home. LOL

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
975 Posts
You don't need a computer or a helper to bleed or do a brake fluid change. Use a fluid extractor, which is what I use. It works great for brake service and changing other fluids too. I wish I would have bought one years ago.

Eastwood Manual Fluid Extractor Review - YouTube

Quickly & Efficiently Extract Fluids from Cars, Boats, ATVs & more - Fluid Evacuator - Eastwood - YouTube
I got a H-F knock-off of that product for $9. Been using it for 4 years now. And works with 2X D-cell batteries. No pumping. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually, Mopar-Mofun,, if you go back to page 1, there was a test done, that seems to contradict that idea of the trac cntrl in our vans. In my experience, in other brand vehicles, turning off the trac cntrl worked great to get unstuck, and my owners manual for my t&c even says to turn off trac cntrl when stuck. BUT,, my experience with my t&c,, along with my test from page 1, seems to say that leaving trac cntrl on, at least for my t&c, gets you unstuck about as well, maybe better, than turning it off. But I'm a very humble, unassuming guy,, so my vastly superior driving skills, maintenance abilities and selection of proper equipment, may not reflect correctly on your out come...

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,234 Posts
^^ So, if you get stuck, try it BOTH ways...

TRAC on, and TRAC off.

Let us know what does the trick. (I bet it will vary, depending on the exact circumstances)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
When I get stuck or going through a lot of snow, I turn TC off. You get all the horsepower and torque, when TC is off. Also, I switch the trans. to DL.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts