The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Town and Country AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of experience with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation of the Chrysler mini vans. I currently have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport AWD and a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country limited AWD. Both are getting used up and I am ready for a newer year and of course lower miles unit. My old favorites was the 3.0 motor and trans, sorry to see it go, not a big fan of the transmission used on the 3.3-3.8. I am unfamiliar with the motors and transmissions beyond the 2003 year models.
What am I looking for, besides the usual, dependability and good fuel millage?
Not AWD
Must have: stowaway seating and my current, or close to my current, Town and Country options.
Dependability (least amount of serious problems) with the engine, transmission and brakes. My use for this mini van is daily driver and short scenic trips (retirement duties).
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,099 Posts
Welcome,

Of course, buy the newest you can afford.

5 Gen. (2011+ with 3.6L) would be your best option 2013+ even better because of the so-called HD brakes.

2011 vs 2010 caravan interior is a big improvent, make sure you see both 2011+ and 2010- if you are thinking on buying a 2010 or older.

Make sure you listen to your budget before you buy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
520 Posts
Well, I have a 5'th gen 09 SE with the 3.3L and it's really not that bad of an engine/transmission, I do wish it had more power especially in the mountains but I think it will be plenty sufficient for a daily city driver, and you will get good fuel economy. I also wish it had more gears then just the 4 it has, but it has yet to have a single problem and has over 100K miles.

For 08-10 model years there was an available 3.8L, and on top of that there was also the 4.0L (which both had the same new 6 speed transmission) and no AWD option

2011+ you had only the new 3.6L Penstar engine with the 6 speed, but also no available AWD option.

If you're looking for more options, I suggest browsing the Town and Country vans, they had more options at the same trim level when compared to the Grand Caravan, at least until 2010. Most 08+ vans had the stow and go, and even ones with the bench seats had the storage bins for the seats, they just didn't fit being a bench seat.

LEVY beat me to it with the rest he said above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome,

Of course, buy the newest you can afford.

5 Gen. (2011+ with 3.6L) would be your best option 2013+ even better because of the so-called HD brakes.

2011 vs 2010 caravan interior is a big improvent, make sure you see both 2011+ and 2010- if you are thinking on buying a 2010 or older.

Make sure you listen to your budget before you buy.

Good luck.
Thank you
Any issues, that you know of, on the 2013+ models?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have a 5'th gen 09 SE with the 3.3L and it's really not that bad of an engine/transmission, I do wish it had more power especially in the mountains but I think it will be plenty sufficient for a daily city driver, and you will get good fuel economy. I also wish it had more gears then just the 4 it has, but it has yet to have a single problem and has over 100K miles.

For 08-10 model years there was an available 3.8L, and on top of that there was also the 4.0L (which both had the same new 6 speed transmission) and no AWD option

2011+ you had only the new 3.6L Penstar engine with the 6 speed, but also no available AWD option.

If you're looking for more options, I suggest browsing the Town and Country vans, they had more options at the same trim level when compared to the Grand Caravan, at least until 2010. Most 08+ vans had the stow and go, and even ones with the bench seats had the storage bins for the seats, they just didn't fit being a bench seat.

LEVY beat me to it with the rest he said above.
Thank you.
I am not sure what is the issue with the stow and go "they just didn't fit behind a bench seat". My goal would be to have all the seats to disappear when they are "folded" away. Is that a option in all of the 08+ vans?
Do you know if the T&C has the same stow and go situation, per year as the Dodge Caravan?
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
31 Posts
Thank you.
I am not sure what is the issue with the stow and go "they just didn't fit behind a bench seat". My goal would be to have all the seats to disappear when they are "folded" away. Is that a option in all of the 08+ vans?
Do you know if the T&C has the same stow and go situation, per year as the Dodge Caravan?
Thanks again
You can find the stow and go vans with either a bench seat in the second row or captains chairs. The captains chars will fold into the floor and give you the 'all seats disappear' that you're looking for. Avoid the second row bench seat.

I'm on my 5th van, currently a 2010 Grand Caravan SXT. This is my first 3.8 engine (had the 3.3 in the last two and like it.) We've only had it for a year and a half (bough used.) Only issues I've had are leaky oil pan gasket (fixed under warranty), replaced breaks/rotors (it was just time) and now working on an A/C issue with cool on one side. It's been a good van. Our previous van (2005 Town & Country swb) lasted us about 8 years so I'm hoping to get at least that if not more (by then the kids will be beyond college.)

Good luck on your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts