The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
warning you now... tried so many different things over the years and it will STILL fly right back up and slap down on the vehicle at speed, creating a sound as loud as a gunshot inside

i think i'm on my 5th attempt, it's just wrapped around the roof rack now to keep it from flapping around

·
Registered
908 Posts
Mine broke loose one time so far. I actually pulled it up/back a bit further until I hit a point where it seemed well stuck with the original tape, cleaned both mating surfaces with automotive goo-gone, cleaned off the goo-gone with dish soap/water, rinsed with water, allowed to dry, applied 3M molding tape of about the same width as the strip, and then pulled/pressed it all back down while pressing fimly along the entire length of it. Has been good for a few years now.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,381 Posts
That black seal is only cosmetic. Don't rely on it to prevent moisture into the kick panels/ rocker covers.

I have sealed ours (without removing) more than once. The sliding doors and hatch cause the body to flex.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine is coming off on the one side...

Anybody kno View attachment 67484
w part numbers?
I don't know if that is actually a "seal", or if it isn't just a cosmetic strip to cover the seam below it. Industry practice is to spot weld and seam seal that joint where the roof panel is attached to the sides, then put a cosmetic strip on the opening to keep debris out and neaten the appearance. In any case - a good body shop or a place that install windshields should be able to re-attach yours or provide a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if that is actually a "seal", or if it isn't just a cosmetic strip to cover the seam below it. Industry practice is to spot weld and seam seal that joint where the roof panel is attached to the sides, then put a cosmetic strip on the opening to keep debris out and neaten the appearance. In any case - a good body shop or a place that install windshields should be able to re-attach yours or provide a suitable replacement.
i also feel like it helps with cargo roof loading geat info guys thank you for the exclamation

·
Registered
324 Posts
The seam also serves as a 'break' to channel water running off the roof and reduce soaking someone getting in/out of the vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pull the moulding back to where it is still strongly affixed, clean the adhesive off both the moulding and the paint and reattach with 3M Moulding Tape. [edited] I see Jeepman has already posted this solution above, but figure I'd leave my post, since I included a picture of the 3M product.

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,121 Posts
Pull the moulding back to where it is still strongly affixed, clean the adhesive off both the moulding and the paint and reattach with 3M Moulding Tape. [edited] I see Jeepman has already posted this solution above, but figure I'd leave my post, since I included a picture of the 3M product.

View attachment 67591
The 3M product is good stuff.

I've also used Loctite 414

For the 414 to work, everything needs to be very clean. Take the molding and roll it back. Apply the 414 in an even spread every 4 inches. Then apply the molding down about 3+ inches at a time and keep going till there end WITHOUT interruptions. Once this is done, it can not be undone. Apply in the shade or on a good cloudy say. The sun will cure this way too fast.

Loctite 414 is an ethyl-based cyanoacrylate liquid instant adhesive. Blows the doors off of super-glue (aka Loctite 209) any day. Must use caution and not be sloppy with it either. 414 is not typically on store shelves. McMaster-Carr is where I buy the 10z bottles. Its pricey, it works.

Should the 3M product work as well and costs less, that would be the better option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts