The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
316 Posts
How are you measuring the transmission temperature to get 52C/126F? Scanner? IR Thermometer? After a 15 mile drive?

Your "cold turkey" reading, at 80 mm, is lower than expected.
Measuring temp using OBD Fusion. I’ve tried different PIDs but they all show the same temp. I added the custom dashboard that was shared in the forums somewhere. The one that shows min max and nominal level at said temp.
My usual trips have been about 15km in city traffic and then about 20-25km of highway after that.

I actually got a 1L bottle of Mopar’s ATF+4 but I’m not rushing to top it off based on cold measurement only. And then I’m also not able to get the temp past ~50C so yeah, I don’t know.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
314 Posts
Edited Feb. 21, 2022 to provide additional trans. fluid readings)

February 20, 2022
I just checked the trans fluid on my ‘14 T&C. The van had been sitting level without having been started for ~15 hrs.

The temp was 36*F in my garage. I used the oil dipstick to check the trans fluid level.

My fluid level read 82.5mm.

February 21, 2022 - AM
I checked the trans fluid after the van had been sitting level for 17 hrs in my garage. The temp was 41*F at the time of my checking.

I used a Dorman transmission dipstick tool (P/N: 917-327) I bought about a year ago.

The fluid level read 116mm.

February 21, 2022 - PM
I drove the van on level roads for 30 minutes - mostly at 60mph. I parked it in my level garage, turned the engine off and used the Dorman dipstick tool to check the trans fluid.

The fluid level read 85mm.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
I just checked the trans fluid on my ‘14 T&C. The van had been sitting level without having been started for ~15 hrs.

The temp was 36*F in my garage. I used the oil dipstick to check the trans fluid level.

My fluid level read 82.5mm.
Is this number consistent with past "cold turkey" measurements?
Lower than I would expect.
I would take it for a 15 mile drive, check it for comparison purposes, and report back. It should show somewhere around 38 mm then, I would think..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Took the van to a drive. Photo from OBD Fusion and from one side and the other side of the dipstick. The line that can be seen is the 2cm line.

Gadget Communication Device Grey Font Screenshot
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Tire Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Good job on the dipstick, you hacked it well. :) Have mine hack marked at 95 mm on the back side with letters facing me when in the tube

Your 20 mm would be okay if the transmission fluid temperature is actually 37C/99F. Sounds like a real short drive. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Think I want to ride along with this thread and read what others are finding.
I have a 1993 with a 4speed over drive... 6T2E? I dunno.
I have just completed a engine swap where I drained and pulled the transmission with it ... in the process of filling it with trans fluid.
I am simply a little surprised what I have found in 3 days and a total of 21 miles driven.

Day 1: I started it and ran the engine for a hour or more ... I filled the transmission to the warm level on the stick. Drove it 4 or 5 miles and was happy and parked for the night.

Day 2: I was going to drive it to the auto parts store, trans was slipping as I backed out of the driveway. pulled back in and added 1.5 quarts atf+4 Drove 5 miles and happy.

Day 3: Drove it and got it good and warm, I added another 1/2 quart. To get it to the warm level on the stick.

Day 4: Cold start, 50 degrees temp. Engine running. Fluid level was 1/2 way from bottom of stick to the add line. Way below the add line. I did not add any.
Drove it today through town and filled it with gas, then wife drove it ... is exactly where it should be when warm.

Seriously adding fluid to it 3 days in a row trying to get it set. I am looking for leaks but there is none, Then I am just doing short shake down runs looking for issues. (21 miles)
Seems it takes some miles to get the torque converter filled.
Today is the day to get it out on the freeway and give it a good run with the new/used engine. Curious what the atf level is in the morning.
I only dropped the pan and drained the fluid ... 35k on a rebuilt trans. I am going to order a filter and change the fluid again with a new filter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good job on the dipstick, you hacked it well. :) Have mine hack marked at 95 mm on the back side with letters facing me when in the tube

Your 20 mm would be okay if the transmission fluid temperature is actually 37C/99F. Sounds like a real short drive. :)
Maybe car models with the heavy duty transmission cooling overall have lower trans temp? Those trans fluid level charts for 62TE that are available everywhere are not heavy duty and non-heavy duty specific AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Maybe car models with the heavy duty transmission cooling overall have lower trans temp? Those trans fluid level charts for 62TE that are available everywhere are not heavy duty and non-heavy duty specific AFAIK.

Heavy duty cooling = lower actual operating temperature, I assume. Did the early 5th Generations, say 2008 to 2010, have heavy duty transmission cooling for the 62TE? Rockauto doesn't show the MOPAR 4677509AA listing after 2010. Something is different as other listings, TYC 6382 for example, carry through the same for 2008 to 2020.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Heavy duty cooling = lower actual operating temperature, I assume. Did the early 5th Generations, say 2008 to 2010, have heavy duty transmission cooling for the 62TE? Rockauto doesn't show the MOPAR 4677509AA listing after 2010. Something is different as other listings, TYC 6382 for example, carry through the same for 2008 to 2020.
I don't know the specifics.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

I checked cooling component spare parts of some of the older car models and they didn't have trans oil cooler. But overall it was just a thought. I could be totally wrong here.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
The transmission cooler is part of the ac condenser unit and doesn't show up under transmissions at RockAuto.com.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Automatic transmissions, since I had my first one many years back, have cooler lines to the front and a cooler up front. That cooler could be part of the radiator, a separate unit sandwiched in between the radiator and the ac cooler (early 4th Generations), or be part of the ac condenser (later 4th Generations.). Funny thing is they had some leakage problems way back then (vibration and corrosion) and still have leakage problems today. I think cooler line leakage is worse today though. Go figure on advancement in technology or is it "made in China" itis.

Plastic cooling parts now days = junk, IMO.

Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Measured mine today, cold turkey, after a 12+ hour shut down.

March 19, 2022; 1:00 PM local time; 4C/39F; 95 mm. WOW, that's consistent, no cold weather leaks or oil cooler line leaks, I'm thinking. Lowest reading during the winter has been 92 mm.

Checked oil also, right at full mark, changed it yesterday 11305 km, no discernible oil use since previous oil change.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Measured mine today, cold turkey, after a 6 hour shut down.

April 6, 2022; 6:00 PM local time; 12C/54F; slightly above the 95 mm mark, say 96 mm. That's consistent. Lowest reading during the winter was 92 mm.

Checked engine oil also, slightly above the full mark as well.

Differences could be due to the Van being parked in a different location than for previous readings.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Measured mine today, cold turkey, after a 6 hour shut down.

April 6, 2022; 6:00 PM local time; 12C/54F; slightly above the 95 mm mark, say 96 mm. That's consistent. Lowest reading during the winter was 92 mm.

Checked engine oil also, slightly above the full mark as well.

Differences could be due to the Van being parked in a different location than for previous readings.
Measured mine today. Haven’t measured it after my trans cooler lines were replaced. Which side of the engine oil dipstick should be checked? It has the kink in it. On one side the measurement is lower. I guess the higher measurement is the correct one aka the side where the kink is the bump?

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Measured mine today. Haven’t measured it after my trans cooler lines were replaced. Which side of the engine oil dipstick should be checked? It has the kink in it. On one side the measurement is lower. I guess the higher measurement is the correct one aka the side where the kink is the bump?

I use the dipstick with the lettering facing me (not upside down), the same as when I check the motor oil. I read the backside of the dipstick, the unscripted side in my case, which I have marked at 95 mm. Yes, it.s the higher reading by 4 or 5 mm. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the bumped out side.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Measured my transmission fluid level yesterday, cold turkey, after a 18 hour shut down.

May 3, 2022; 5:00 PM local time; 12C/54F; right on the 95 mm mark. That's consistent.

What are others finding?

I'll be doing an oil change and transmission fluid change on a 2010 Hyundai Elantra toward the end of the month. It will be interesting to see the cold turkey reading on that vehicle.

Previous report on the Elantra:

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
The "cold turkey" method for measuring transmision fluid level:
  • for comparison when exchanging transmission fluid
  • for routine checks for (a) normal maintenance; (b) monitoring leakage

Staging:
  • vehicle on level service
  • fluid drained down to transmission pan - 6 hours minimum after fully warmed up/driven for 15 miles or so. This is for consistent readings. Over night, or longer drain, even better. Shorter times, say less than 6 hours, may result in slightly lower readings.
  • use motor oil dipstick and mark on the back side, from the motor oil readings, two marks (using a file edge for example), one at 95 mm (3.74") and one at 408 mm (16.06"). 95 mm is a typical factory? fill reading and 408 mm is the distance the dipstick goes down the tube before hitting the stop at the bottom (not the bottom of the pan). You will feel that contact. Both are important references.

Procedure:
  • remove the transmision filler tube plug. It's hidden under some heavy wire harness likely, but you will find it. Twist the plug CCW (about 1/4 turn) and pull while turning CCW. Some times I need to use small vice grips on mine to get it started.
  • wipe the motor oil dipstick, if not already wiped, and put the dipstick down the filler tube with black on yellow lettering facing you (my dipstick, others may vary, don't know) so that your new markings will face rearward. The 408 mm mark should be at the top of the filler tube.
  • pull out and see what you have.
  • repeat a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Measured my transmission fluid level today, cold turkey, 1:30 pm after a 14 hour shut down.

June 16, 2022; 1:30 PM local time; 26C/79F; right on the 95 mm mark. That's extremely consistent.

What are others finding?

Checked oil level as well, right on the full mark. That's extremely consistent also.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
915 Posts
Measured my transmission fluid level today, cold turkey, 1:30 pm after a 14 hour shut down.

June 16, 2022; 1:30 PM local time; 26C/79F; right on the 95 mm mark. That's extremely consistent.

What are others finding?

Checked oil level as well, right on the full mark. That's extremely consistent also.
I guess that means you don't have any leaks and your engine isn't burning any oil. :) In all seriousness, the 95 mm datapoint is good info for anyone that wants to check their fluid level while their engine isn't running and is near outside temperature. (y)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts