The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

What this cable is responsible for and where should it be connected? (pic.)

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  FabricGATOR 
#1 ·
*Chrysler T&C 2004 (3,8 L)

There are 3 cables coming from the ceiling, two of them go to the overhead console, but I can't think of a place where should 3rd one go.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Robertschreiber99 beat me to that answer... Good call.

The mirror in the picture, the one hanging on the windshield, it does not seem to be one though...
My 2002 AD mirror is thicker, and has a light, a sensor, and button below the mirror glass (and no flip lever).

#4 ·
The auto-dimming mirrors just don't do a good enough job these days from the vehciles behind you with those blazing LEDs. I converted to a regular flip the tab mirror and the blindness decreased drastically. If you drive at night frequently or in the winter as there is less daylight, the manual flip tab mirrors are the way to go.

#9 ·
Yep, the main mirror sensor on the center rear view mirror sends a current (according to how much is needed) to the driver door module, then to the driver side mirror. In my 09 the mirror is as dark as the center rear view mirror is, and it also can be lighter/darker based on how bright the lights behind are.

#12 ·
HIJACK:

I looked on the FCA build sheet website:FCA Dodge I did not find confirmation I was looking for.

I have the 2002 auto dim rear view inside.
I notice my driver's side view mirror is becoming discolored around the perimeter and considered replacing it.
My question is if anyone can tell me how to determine if that side view mirror is auto dimming also.

I see autochromatic listed on the dealership parts lists, though some are NLA.
I have the memory mirrors, but doubt that has anything to do with the lens. Mine are heated, supposedly.

Wiring, can I determine anything by looking at the wiring going to the actual glass?
Can someone tell me how to release the glass for changing it? (I knocked it out one time in a reversing accident in my driveway) RH/passenger, hanging by the wire, luckily it popped right back on as if it were meant to be changed easily...

#13 ·
HIJACK:

I looked on the FCA build sheet website:FCA Dodge I did not find confirmation I was looking for.

I have the 2002 auto dim rear view inside.
I notice my driver's side view mirror is becoming discolored around the perimeter and considered replacing it.
My question is if anyone can tell me how to determine if that side view mirror is auto dimming also.

I see autochromatic listed on the dealership parts lists, though some are NLA.
I have the memory mirrors, but doubt that has anything to do with the lens. Mine are heated, supposedly.

Wiring, can I determine anything by looking at the wiring going to the actual glass?
Can someone tell me how to release the glass for changing it? (I knocked it out one time in a reversing accident in my driveway) RH/passenger, hanging by the wire, luckily it popped right back on as if it were meant to be changed easily...
After going through a 06 GCV owners manual it quotes "Driver's side outside mirror auto dimmer-if equipped This mirror automatically adjusts for annoying headlight glare from vehicles behind you. You can turn this feature on or off by pressing the button at the base of the rear view mirror."

I imagine it was available on some town and country vans, not sure how you'd identify it from a non dimming outside mirror. Possibly find a pin out sheet for the mirror plug and see which wires are for the auto function? The outer auto mirror should get 2 wires which come from the center rear view mirror, a power and a ground.

In my 09, the outer mirror doesn't do as good of a job at keeping the glare away because the edges don't dim. There is about a 1/4 cm gap all around where the dimmer doesn't reach, otherwise I think it does a pretty good job otherwise. And the mirror is darker then seen in the photo, the camera didn't show it well.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Now I've gone and done it... If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

You know what happened next. I got lookin, then touchin, then prying and pulling...
And while I didn't earn seven years bad luck... I did verify that I have (actually, more than likely 'HAD') the auto chromatic mirror. After I satisfied my curiosity, I tried to reinstall *snap the mirror assy back into place, carefully applying more and more pressure... carefully, easy, easy.

I became aware that I was getting some sort of fluid on my hands... I guess I let the magic juice out of the mirror!

I learned how to (and how not to) remove the mirror glass from the folding door assy for replacement. Had I done it that way, I wouldn't have applied so much pressure (well, any pressure, actually) to make the heated, magic glass assy 'leak'

So, then I watched a youTube video...

Reactions: Michalb
#15 ·
Now I've gone and done it... If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

You know what happened next. I got lookin, then touchin, then prying and pulling...
And while I didn't earn seven years bad luck... I did verify that I have (actually, more than likely 'HAD') the auto chromatic mirror. After I satisfied my curiosity, I tried to reinstall *snap the mirror assy back into place, carefully applying more and more pressure... carefully, easy, easy.

I became aware that I was getting some sort of fluid on my hands... I guess I let the magic juice out of the mirror!

I learned how to (and how not to) remove the mirror glass from the folding door assy for replacement. Had I done it that way, I wouldn't have applied so much pressure (well, any pressure, actually) to make the heated, magic glass assy 'leak'

So, then I watched a youTube video... View attachment 59432 View attachment 59433 View attachment 59434 View attachment 59435
Does it dim with your center auto mirror? Or do you have a manual center mirror?

#18 ·
Most of the online parts dealers don't have them. NLA

*note:
What you see in the last pic above IS NOT HOW to remove the mirror. The round section on the mirror pic above, the "tilt tray' should still be attached to the servo. Then the mirror section mounts (and dismounts) from that.

~> If I take my wife's bamboo flat spatula from the kitchen, the one she likes to make omelette, and insert it on the bottom space below the mirror, center. Then gently pry the mirror up in a sliding flat motion, it should raise like a 'key hole' type fastener. It should slide up about 1/4-3/8 inch and stop, then you can have it in your hands.
Careful not to simply pull on the spade connectors, they will likely need to be pried between the slot and tab to slide them off as the tab is not real secure to the heat strip.

#19 ·
Most of the online parts dealers don't have them. NLA

*note:
What you see in the last pic above IS NOT HOW to remove the mirror. The round section on the mirror pic above, the "tilt tray' should still be attached to the servo. Then the mirror section mounts (and dismounts) from that.
Rockauto maybe? Pull-A-Part ?

I know Rockauto has the heated mirrors in stock and mirrors that are powered and some with memory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.