The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neat YT vid. At first I thought, nah this would be a so-so look-over when buying a Caravan. Actually it does have a good deal of stuff to be aware of.

You heard of people flipping houses by buying low, renovating and then reselling for a bonus sum, well this guy looks for the bargains, renovates the van, then sells it. He's done many and keeps at it.

What to look for when buying a Town & Country or Grand Caravan - A Buyer's Guide

I tend to see folks asking about buying a used Caravan and what to look for from time-to-time here. This 'may' be a resource to point them too. (y)

·
Registered
603 Posts
to add to the part of the video for the interior inspection, look at the top of the dashboard near the window for any cracks, and if the van has a message center, inspect it for cracking or separation from the dashboard

sitting in the sun for years destroys the dashboards of these vans

gauging the level of separation here will tell you how much sun the vehicle has been exposed to and for how long, the smaller the gap the less sun, the larger the gap the more sun

the dashpad shrinks over time with intense heat

good/new condition:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to add to the part of the video for the interior inspection, look at the top of the dashboard near the window for any cracks, and if the van has a message center, inspect it for cracking or separation from the dashboard

sitting in the sun for years destroys the dashboards of these vans

gauging the level of separation here will tell you how much sun the vehicle has been exposed to and for how long, the smaller the gap the less sun, the larger the gap the more sun

the dashpad shrinks over time with intense heat
Same goes for the headliner due to heat. He did say something about that in the YT vid too. BUT, these vans are old, 2001-2007. Thus hard pressed finding a really nice one out there these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 of these, both are the fully loaded versions. One is an 02 Town & Country with a pretty good exterior but well worn inside, the other is an 06 Grand Caravan with a LOT of rust but a great interior. Between the 2, most of these problems I have.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whilst working on the van today installing the Dayton Parts 510-445 Add-A-Leaf Kit and increase the rear load capacity an additional 700-lbs, I also took the time under the van looking at those known trouble spots in the YT vid posted above. Looks like an oil pan gasket is in the future. It's not leaking drops on the ground, just the weep on the edge and nothing more. Other than that, it all looked good down below.

Did the oil change to the winter synthetic grade. The day hit 50F with some sun. We had not had a day like this in a month. It may be the last good day of the year remaining as old man winter will strike back on Friday with a furry.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You southern guys have the interior to worry about where in the northern states and Canada we look at the rust issues in the rockers, tips of fenders, hood and behind the rear doors as well as the sliding doors.

Up here rust is the killer

·
Super Moderator
22,187 Posts
Whilst working on the van today installing the Dayton Parts 510-445 Add-A-Leaf Kit and increase the rear load capacity an additional 700-lbs, I also took the time under the van looking at those known trouble spots in the YT vid posted above. Looks like an oil pan gasket is in the future. It's not leaking drops on the ground, just the weep on the edge and nothing more. Other than that, it all looked good down below.

Did the oil change to the winter synthetic grade. The day hit 50F with some sun. We had not had a day like this in a month. It may be the last good day of the year remaining as old man winter will strike back on Friday with a furry.
Snug up the bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snug up the bolts and nuts.
Jeepman, yes. After the first 50 miles, take wheels off, re-torque them. Drive to work is 40miles one way, thus after the single trip, I'll be at it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts