The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

341 - 360 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Pink guitar, eh? ;) :unsure:
Greetings. When it comes to a classic 60's Telecaster you bet! these are all original classic instruments not reproductions. Note the guitar in the stand is a very rare 12 string Stratocaster. This is a band from the 70's who reunited with the original members for this gig. East coast meets West coast meets the Rockies. All original music. 🤘✌Think CSN, Jesse Colin Young...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Greetings. Spent time doing maintenance today. New spark plugs and wires. It took longer to gain access than to actually change the plugs. Good for another 100K!

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Replaced the right front rotor and pads on the 2016 GC. at 87,400 km (54,300 miles). The inside pad still had 1/4" left, the outer had 5/16". The inside face of the rotor was rough and causing vibration when braking. The face was pitting as the smooth surface was corroding. The outside face was perfect.

What's with these heavy duty brakes and the front rotors deteriorating prematurely? I replaced the left front a couple weeks back and that rotor was in worse shape on the inside face - pitted, hard surface full of holes and missing in places. I have seen white box rotors perform way better than that.

For new rotors I used coated Raybestos, for new pads I used Raybestos Reliant.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Replaced the right front rotor and pads on the 2016 GC. at 87,400 km (54,300 miles). The inside pad still had 1/4" left, the outer had 5/16". The inside face of the rotor was rough and causing vibration when braking. The face was pitting as the smooth surface was corroding. The outside face was perfect.

What's with these heavy duty brakes and the front rotors deteriorating prematurely? I replaced the left front a couple weeks back and that rotor was in worse shape on the inside face - pitted, hard surface full of holes and missing in places. I have seen white box rotors perform way better than that.

For new rotors I used coated Raybestos, for new pads I used Raybestos Reliant.
All I can say is: SCARY :cautious: :rolleyes: I know what might be the problem... it is a metallurgical one...

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
Yesterday, was in my 2017 DGC. Had the engine running while waiting for my wife at the mall. I saw heavy smoke coming out from the engine compartment.

Opened the hood only to find the radiator fan smoking.

I was 70 miles away from home. Removed fuse J12 and relay K11 and drove home without a problem.

Fan motor was completely burned out. Replaced fan today but it failed to run.

Ah, forgot to re-install fuse and relay.

Re-installed fuse and relay, problem solved.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #348

Ah, forgot to re-install fuse and relay.

Re-installed fuse and relay, problem solved.
OMG, you are so funny :ROFLMAO:

No overheating, though? I don't believe it was too cold outside...

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
No overheating because I got on the highway right away. The outside temperature was on the 100's and I had AC on all the way home.
Incredible... 100 degrees and AC on... you must have a magic van or you are very lucky! Hot air does not cool down the radiator even at high speed... and AC makes the things worse!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
Incredible... 100 degrees and AC on... you must have a magic van or you are very lucky! Hot air does not cool down the radiator even at high speed... and AC makes the things worse!
While on the highway, radiator fan is useless. When vehicle is not mving, then engine will overheat if fan is not running.

Ambient air temperature is the same, fan or not.

Temperature gauge was on the normal range.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
While on the highway, the radiator fan is useless. When the vehicle is not moving, then the engine will overheat if the fan is not running.

Ambient air temperature is the same, fan or not.

The temperature gauge was on the normal range.
OK, I will remember!

·
Registered
482 Posts
my van stays below the midline if i'm moving, it only ever turns on both fans if i've been sitting for awhile, otherwise just the fan for the condenser is running

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
I was 70 miles away from home. Removed fuse J12 and relay K11 and drove home without a problem.

Reason I removed fuse & relay was, fan motor was smoking, so I knew it was shorted out.

Best would be to disconnect the fan, but temperature was way to hot on that area, no way to disconnect the fan without burning myself.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Reason I removed fuse & relay was, fan motor was smoking, so I knew it was shorted out.

Best would be to disconnect the fan, but temperature was way to hot on that area, no way to disconnect the fan without burning myself.
On the other hand, it is unacceptable that a 2017 van has a burned-out fan... quality gone wild, eh?

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
All I can say is: SCARY :cautious: :rolleyes: I know what might be the problem... it is a metallurgical one...
That's for sure but maybe the ceramic pad on the inside face (more heat) is a little too much for the rotor. I have seen this happen with white box rotors. Then again, there's the whole burnishing procedure that enters the equation.
The consequences of failing to bed in a rotor include reduced braking power, uneven braking power, noisy brakes, reduced lifespan of pads, though not typically the rotors. ... Stopping during the bed in period creates a patch of material on the rotor which can cause the brake to pulse or grab during braking.
Then again, maybe it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Greetings. Spent time doing maintenance today. New spark plugs and wires. It took longer to gain access than to actually change the plugs. Good for another 100K!
Nice hat. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
No, a "magic wagon".;)

341 - 360 of 361 Posts
About this Discussion
360 Replies
21 Participants
Miron
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing