The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
well, i think she's finally gone

my speedometer started going everywhere before the exit, and i thought to myself it's probably that instrument cluster problem some vans end up with, especially since it's raining

it started to shift just a little funky and then all the sudden that happened

i'm guessing it grenade'd internally, whatever it did was extremely violent and it made and the smoke is really bad news

i'm just wondering if the transmission was the problem or if the TCM told it to do something it really shouldn't have done at that speed, related to the speedometer thinking i'm going 10 or 90 mph when i'm actually going about 50

we'll see what the mechanics say tomorrow, the smoking ATF smell was horrible and was not at all how ATF should smell

who knows, maybe whatever cocktail of mobil 1 ATF they topped it off with without asking at the oil change place did it in finally ☺

·
Super Moderator
23,790 Posts
That was sudden. WOW!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
298 Posts

my speedometer started going everywhere before the exit, and i thought to myself it's probably that instrument cluster problem some vans end up with, especially since it's raining

i'm guessing it grenade'd internally, whatever it did was extremely violent and it made and the smoke is really bad news

i'm just wondering if the transmission was the problem or if the TCM told it to do something it really shouldn't have done at that speed, related to the speedometer thinking i'm going 10 or 90 mph when i'm actually going about 50

we'll see what the mechanics say tomorrow, the smoking ATF smell was horrible and was not at all how ATF should smell

who knows, maybe whatever cocktail of mobil 1 ATF they topped it off with without asking at the oil change place did it in finally ☺
Oh no :( 😭😭😭 But yes, that was very quick

·
PT Driver
2,674 Posts
Wow with a bang like that I would have walked back and checked in the road see if it let out any parts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow with a bang like that I would have walked back and checked in the road see if it let out any parts.
with it being the interstate, there were little fragments of parts and junk everywhere

i did look but none of them looked like they came off my van

·
3rd gen > all others
2,712 Posts
Glad someone appreciates the bagpipes, although, that's the single most requested tune to play, everywhere I go, someone always asks. There are so many other wonderful tunes out there!
The guy on video playing "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC is awesome! Even has flames shooting from the pipes at certain times!

·
Super Moderator
23,790 Posts
That's too bad, certainly was sudden. Had you been having any problems beforehand? losing any fluid? Didn't even go into limp mode? What kind of a failure is that?

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's too bad, certainly was sudden. Had you been having any problems beforehand? losing any fluid? Didn't even go into limp mode? What kind of a failure is that?
it was perfect and consistent ever since i originally got it going again with a new solenoid pack, i think that was two or three years ago now

i've had my normal continuous slow drip out of my differential cover, but i keep it topped off and i know the fluid level was fine at the time of the accident

the only variable was it being topped off with mobil 1 ATF instead of ATF+4 at an oil change place a few months ago, i'm not sure that would lead to a sudden catastrophic failure

no check engine light came on when i stopped or when it happened, i'd have to ask the shop if it's on now

·
3rd gen > all others
2,712 Posts
Hauled some more of my car parts home from my parents' house. I finally found something that my van couldn't haul - my entertainment center that I made in high school shop class. It was too tall to fit inside standing up, and too wide/tall when laid on it's back to fit inside (51" vs. 48" wide interior in cargo area). It's solid pine, so it doesn't come apart. It DID fit into our 2011 Toyota Sienna on it's back, on top of a spare tire to clear the rear shock humps.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
298 Posts

This is actually interesting. Apparently, I learned that another family member was driving the 09 SE we have about 2 years ago, and going up an icy hill with the traction going on and off nonstop (it was extremely icy). Then all of a sudden, bang (like yours just 50% quieter), the engine responded to throttle adjustments but the transmission didn't respond at all, like it was in neutral. The van was pulled over, and after putting it into park, shutting it off, and restarting it, everything worked just fine.

To this day I have no idea what the heck happened, transmission works just like it did from factory, engine purrs like a kitten, and 100K miles now on it.

I will be replacing the transmission fluid and filter soon as the transmission pan is starting to hint at leaking, I'm curious if I find any metal chunks in the filter, or on the bottom of the transmission pan. Anyone know what could have happened? Again, similar to this, very sudden, no hints beforehand.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is actually interesting.
what gets me is that it has no idea anything is wrong, no check engine light or anything

the TCM might have a code but not one that causes the OBD system to display anything

maybe my differential exploded or snapped and it just wasn't violent enough to crack the casing?

i just can't believe that i was able to pull fine on the on-ramp, and hold it between 70 and 80 on the interstate for 40 minutes like any other drive and then have that happen on the exit ramp

that and where's my speedometer involved in all this? why did it go crazy right before that happened?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
298 Posts
what gets me is that it has no idea anything is wrong, no check engine light or anything

the TCM might have a code but not one that causes the OBD system to display anything

maybe my differential exploded or snapped and it just wasn't violent enough to crack the casing?

i just can't believe that i was able to pull fine on the on-ramp, and hold it between 70 and 80 on the interstate for 40 minutes like any other drive and then have that happen on the exit ramp

that and where's my speedometer involved in all this? why did it go crazy right before that happened?
Well, if you're up for the job, you could buy a used transmission from the auto wrecker and replace it for yours, and tear yours apart to see what happened. Would be interesting to find out

·
3rd gen > all others
2,712 Posts
I can offer this much: the speed sensor likely didn't cause it. Chrysler changed their programming in the 3rd gen van after 2nd gen vans were blowing up engines downshifting to 2nd gear at speed going into limp mode because of loss of speed sensor signal.

Probably a snap ring in a clutch drum let go, or the common planetary gear failure. Something like this happened to my mom's 96 Grand Voyager 3.3L, and the transmission had been rebuilt not too long prior to her buying it. They were driving along in heavy rain doing 40-45mph and boom, something broke and they were stuck in limp mode. Took them 2 hours to drive the normal 40 minute drive home. No external fluid leaks or anything, so it was an internal failure. They sold it to a junker/repair shop that towed it away before I got to see what happened to it. That was their last Chrysler product, after two vans in a row with a transmission failure (first one was using wrong fluid, as we didn't know about the ATF+4 for a long time).

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well, if you're up for the job, you could buy a used transmission from the auto wrecker and replace it for yours, and tear yours apart to see what happened. Would be interesting to find out
right now i'm just shopping around my area, first quote i got was $3,100 for a fully installed reman with a 3 year warranty

if i had an open garage i'd be inclined to attempt it myself but i'm no expert and i don't have much experience dealing with the mechanical parts of my van, i upkeep the simple or interior stuff and i go to a shop for everything else

i also don't have a transmission jack or hoist or anything to get the vehicle off the ground

·
Super Moderator
23,790 Posts
Your speedometer depends on a signal from the transmission's output speed sensor. Your speed sensor was having a migraine headache at the time. :(

61 - 77 of 77 Posts