The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
167k on my 99 T&C 3.8L.... it decided to start causing headaches again though.. first the starter, then new brakes all around, rotors, now I have a major coolant leak I can not find to save my life.

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
167k on my 99 T&C 3.8L.... it decided to start causing headaches again though.. first the starter, then new brakes all around, rotors, now I have a major coolant leak I can not find to save my life.
A few questions:
  • How much coolant and how often?
  • What does your oil look like? Cloudy or milky?
I ask because the two "O" rings in the timing chain cover have been known to leak coolant down into the oil pan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few questions:
I ask because the two "O" rings in the timing chain cover have been known to leak coolant down into the oil pan.
Its a constant spray. Had to park it because I'd lose everything within 30 minutes. It's coming from passenger side behind engine somewhere but I can't get a good angle to see

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Its a constant spray. Had to park it because I'd lose everything within 30 minutes. It's coming from passenger side behind engine somewhere but I can't get a good angle to see
Ahhh, probably the lines to either the front heater core, or the metal lines heading down under the floor to the rear heater core.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
2000 GV 170,000 miles currently in shop for antifreeze leak at intake manifold and freeze out plug $$ouch
Sorry to hear about your leaks! I also had to do my intake manifold gasket at about 200,000 miles IIRC. Very slight coolant leak had developed. Never heard of anyone having freeze plug troubles though.

- G

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
Finally hit 400,000 miles last month, pushed it the last tenth of a mile. Down a hill of course...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1996 Voyager SE 2.4L, ~230,000 miles, original owner. Biggest things I recall were changing to MLS head gasket to stop oil leak, timing belt bearings failed twice causing strandings, 3 spd transmission lost reverse 3 times - once due to torn servo piston seal, once due to broken rear band, and currently disabled w/ trans out investigating (bad front oil leak). On the plus side, still on original wheel bearings front & rear, driveshafts, heater core, ball joints, struts, steering components, and many other things that were wear items in vehicles thru the 1980's. I did re-ring the engine when I changed the head gasket at ~100K but they still had in-spec ring gaps and cylinders still had honing marks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just made over 134,*** with our '99 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. We've had it for about a couple of months and enjoying it. Still fixing or replacing little things here and there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2000 GC with 65,000 miles

It's reassuring to see these high mileage readings; I just picked up a 2000 GC with 65,000 miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A few questions:

I had this problem going up the mountain being there... I came down to look at it and get it fixed.... the problem went away after coming back down from the mountain a few days

O ring on the water pump contracts and expanded? I think thats what happened to mine.

291km... about 180 miles on a 99 voyager SE. pretty incredible... but I have a output speed sensor thats being REALLY stubborn and won't come out. plus while going to reverse for 5 seconds i forgot to plug in the hoses from the tranny cooler to the tranny... lost a lot of tranny fuild and now its defently a slap in the face- filled er up and shes...

well I'll give you an update later. looking at your posts I know I can go further with alittle love'n'care. people in my some neighborhood are haters- they tell me these vans are throw aways and mine will become one soon... we'll see

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thought it was interesting have seen many getting the miles and some not, like earlier posted responses, ones driving habits play a huge part in the miles one gets. I love the way mine drives even better after getting new tires, AWD goes more places than most can imagine...have driven it much less after being retired but never would sell after owning it for almost 20 years. Have driven a lot of different rides in AWD, and four wheel drive, for me hands down would never trade off my mini unless ground clearance was a major issue. Still drives like an "older" Mercedes, pretty good gas mileage for a heavy vehicle and the miles it can actually take is very impressive. Lots of haters but damn these 3rd gens IMO are the best of the bunch, for me made better as an AWD...screw what everyone thinks about a mini van these are nice rides that can take a lot of miles with preventive maintenance,,,,keep on driving friends...

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
Minivan > truck/SUV anyday. I can do anything a truck can do, except haul manure. I can also carry 7 people unlike a truck. The floorboard height is much better than an SUV or truck as well. It's much easier loading something like a motorcycle into my GV than my old pickup.
Clearly, the pu*** magnet in my minivan is the reverse polarity of my hatchback and motorcycle, it seems to repel women rather than attract them. But, the GV is a perfect vehicle for me.

403,000+ miles and still going strong!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
46 Participants
Philip
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing