The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1521 - 1540 of 1568 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
I guess your van was initially in better shape or new! Once a new opened Krown did a very lousy job... after that everything was properly done every year with the more additional job by myself!
I guess that not all vans are rusting the same... some are getting worse faster than others... my doors are all ok, rockers panels are gone, fenders, rear gate and hood are just starting to rust too... overall it's not looking so bad but is on the way to get worse... maybe GTA salt was treated to be more aggressive... too many factors are in the equation... the only one to blame is the manufacturer... we should not have to perform any additional job if they would do theirs properly! They just wish the vans are dying ASAP!

Yesterday, installing all seasons tires, I took a look at the rocker panels, strangely, the passenger side looks to be in good shape but the driver's one is pretty affected by rust! Usually, it is the other way around!

All those older Toyotas are gone because they were not so many in the first place! Sic!
:) Yes, but those old Toyotas must be around and kicking somewhere, wouldn't you think?. Surely they don't rust out or suffer catastrophic mechanical failure, being that they are so great. Then again, maybe they are just "run of the mill" afterall. Ha, ha.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
:) Yes, but those old Toyotas must be around and kicking somewhere, wouldn't you think?. Surely they don't rust out or suffer catastrophic mechanical failure, being that they are so great. Then again, maybe they are just "run of the mill" after all. Ha, ha.
Maybe some people get bored to keep driving the same van for so many years and decided to get a newer one... they just decided to toss it :p and buy a Hybrid Pacifica using some tax money from me!

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Maybe some people get bored to keep driving the same van for so many years and decided to get a newer one... they just decided to toss it :p and buy a Hybrid Pacifica using some tax money from me!
Ha, ha. No, saw another one, I figure they only bring them out on sunny days, for some reason. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Aha... like that gentleman is doing with his Ford T on Manitoulin Island :)
See more Chrysler Sebrings and Crosfires than older Toyota vans. Go figure. Haven't seen any Plymouth Prowlers though.

Beautiful day here today. Took a little trip down toward Peggy's Cove, along the Atlantic Ocean. Beautiful scenery.

75,165 km (46,706 miles) on my 2016 GC.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ya. Been driving our 01 DGC Ex with 261K miles for over 16 years now and still love driving it. Just did a 300 mile road trip with the kids and just loved the drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '05 3.3 T&C short just turned 175K miles. I have the rust issue like everybody else. I have patched the rust up a couple times already but should do a better job. Is there a place to buy aftermarket body parts such as door panels, rockers ect? Might make my life easier. I have found front quarters but nothing else.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My '05 3.3 T&C short just turned 175K miles. I have the rust issue like everybody else. I have patched the rust up a couple times already but should do a better job. Is there a place to buy aftermarket body parts such as door panels, rockers ect? Might make my life easier. I have found front quarters but nothing else.
I think I feel better reading these. My 2003 GCV 3.3 has a 113,000, and I hope it lasts a while. Although mine has a timing chain that should be replaced, it’s a little bit loose.

I needed a complete passenger side rocker panel, and I honestly went through advance auto parts online. They were the cheapest. Very high quality rocker panel.

And here’s what did not make sense to me. Anything over $25 ships free. It came from a major distributor through them but I forget the name. Keystone Collision I think. But I paid for it, and they shipped it free! I only paid $32.00 and the box was huge, I have no idea how they made any money on that. The shipping had to be 30 bucks or 40 itself.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/keystone-collision-passenger-side-rocker-panel-rrp2010/11757171-P?searchTerm=Rocker+panel

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think I feel better reading these. My 2003 GCV 3.3 has a 113,000, and I hope it lasts a while. Although mine has a timing chain that should be replaced, it’s a little bit loose.

I needed a complete passenger side rocker panel, and I honestly went through advance auto parts online. They were the cheapest. Very high quality rocker panel.

And here’s what did not make sense to me. Anything over $25 ships free. It came from a major distributor through them but I forget the name. Keystone Collision I think. But I paid for it, and they shipped it free! I only paid $32.00 and the box was huge, I have no idea how they made any money on that. The shipping had to be 30 bucks or 40 itself.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/keystone-collision-passenger-side-rocker-panel-rrp2010/11757171-P?searchTerm=Rocker+panel

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's all about good will. Next time you need something in a hurry, you will feel better about visiting one of their brick and mortar stores and they'll get you there! I think it's still good business though.

My 2002 Caravan has 191,000 miles now. (over 305,000 km) Starting to have a few issues, but hopeful for 200,000!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might actually consider looking down there if I get to the point of buying another one. The thing is, my van has been with me since 35k miles, I know everything about it (and it's paid for). Hate to think about starting over with new problems. Doesn't look the prettiest, but it'll get me there for sure (and it's paid for)... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, it's true.
In southern California, and the only rust I have it around a hinge on the liftgate (from a collision). I treated it and it seems to have been stopped.
I even have a dent in the driver front fender that is probably 12 years old and has no rust despite bare metal showing.
Sadly, at 230,000+ miles, it has some other issues.
Headliner falling, AC Clutch element died, wire harnesses for power doors are mostly dead, TPMS Sensors started to die . And a few other things I'd love to fix, but just keep driving.
Of course something like the TPMS is recommended to replace after 5 years and I have the originals, 18 years old, only one has actually stopped working ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
193,000 mi. and going strong. Just replaced the flex plate, and control arms, rack and pinion/power steering, bearings, bushings, and engine mounts to get the best german engineering possible "Gudntite" :) Hopefully the tranny holds out for awhile more. But will probably rebuild it when it goes. Replaced the headliner last year. Wish the dashboard wouldn't swell upwards as the interior is good, with the exception of cracking on the driver's seat next to the door. Will probably get a replacement seat tomorrow with PickNPull's $15 seat sale.

·
Registered
507 Posts
2005 3.8L Town & Country Limited just passed 250,000 miles with original motor and transmission!

It has, of course, had a ton of maintenance done to get there!

Engine mounts, control arms, and subframe bushings replacement at around 225,000 did wonders... now amazingly quiet in the cabin and tires are no longer wearing oddly... imagine that!

Only obvious engine noise is the original timing chain making "rock tumbler" sounds. Still trying to decide if it's worth the effort to replace or not!

1521 - 1540 of 1568 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
305 Participants
Finnvoyager
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing