The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1541 - 1560 of 1568 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
2005 3.8L Town & Country Limited just passed 250,000 miles with original motor and transmission!
Only obvious engine noise is the original timing chain making "rock tumbler" sounds. Still trying to decide if it's worth the effort to replace or not!
From my experience, for such an old van, preventive maintenance is not a good idea!

·
Registered
5 Posts
365,458 MILES on our 2001 GC Sport. Purchased it used in 2002 with about 26,000 miles on it.
Original engine and transmission. Have only done four transmission fluid/filter changes, and the last one was about 6 years ago.

Still runs great, and it made a 20-hour roundtrip to eastern Florida last month. Of course it has had many things replaced over the years (four water pumps, two rack and pinions, power window motors, power door locks, etc.), but nothing major. I've done all the work myself.

It was a daily driver until earlier this year. Now it is the 'spare' vehicle in the driveway for making runs to the hardware store, land fill, or when one of the other cars is being worked on. My wife is driving our Honda Accord now, which has 380,000 miles on it, and is in better shape than the van. Looking to get her something brand new in the near future. This van got all three of our kids from birth to college, and has paid for itself many times over. It has been a good one, but we are finished with the van days.

It hasn't been vacuumed since the last time I hauled some old lumber to the land fill, so there's a lot of dead grass in the pics, but the seats and carpet are still in excellent condition.

·
Registered
37 Posts
365,458 MILES on our 2001 GC Sport. Purchased it used in 2002 with about 26,000 miles on it.
Original engine and transmission. Have only done four transmission fluid/filter changes, and the last one was about 6 years ago.

Still runs great, and it made a 20-hour roundtrip to eastern Florida last month. Of course it has had many things replaced over the years (four water pumps, two rack and pinions, power window motors, power door locks, etc.), but nothing major. I've done all the work myself.

It was a daily driver until earlier this year. Now it is the 'spare' vehicle in the driveway for making runs to the hardware store, land fill, or when one of the other cars is being worked on. My wife is driving our Honda Accord now, which has 380,000 miles on it, and is in better shape than the van. Looking to get her something brand new in the near future. This van got all three of our kids from birth to college, and has paid for itself many times over. It has been a good one, but we are finished with the van days.

It hasn't been vacuumed since the last time I hauled some old lumber to the land fill, so there's a lot of dead grass in the pics, but the seats and carpet are still in excellent condition.

View attachment 55959 View attachment 55960 View attachment 55961 View attachment 55962
Why did u replace the water pump so many times. I ask because mine has 229000 same eng and trans. No major work done but I notice it seems to get hotter more quickly these days. But the gauge reads where it always has just below half. Any suggest would be helpful. Also I carry a special set of tools for my window motors that work intermittently I just tap them and they work for a week or so

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow can't believe the van is at 180,000 Kms now.Only 20,000 kms to go until the big 200,000 kms. Seems just like yesterday I bought the van. Is their any thing that I should be on a look out for at this point?

Also whats the current mileage on your 4th gen?
Do not buy cheap suspension parts online like I did. I had to replace the inner tie rod after 6 months and about 4500 miles. I went to extremes and bought 2 inner 2 outer tie rods and two stabilizers the ones by the strut for 30$. So I'm cheap and I had a strong feeling they'd fail just not so soon.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Why did u replace the water pump so many times. I ask because mine has 229000 same eng and trans. No major work done but I notice it seems to get hotter more quickly these days. But the gauge reads where it always has just below half. Any suggest would be helpful. Also I carry a special set of tools for my window motors that work intermittently I just tap them and they work for a week or so
Then "two" rack and pinion? :oops:

I sold my 2006 DGC with over 217,000 miles. Never touched W.P or R & P.

Replaced AC compressor.

I never changed ATF either. Original engine and transmission, no issues at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow can't believe the van is at 180,000 Kms now.Only 20,000 kms to go until the big 200,000 kms. Seems just like yesterday I bought the van. Is their any thing that I should be on a look out for at this point?

Mine's going on 187 k 2001 Chrysler Town & country LXI with a 3.8 - I know engine is fine they only problems I'm having now are with the torque converter check engine light that has been running for a couple years like that and the electrical wiring harness as getting a little ratty in places

·
Registered
3 Posts

I am over 220,000 miles and going strong. Keep your injectors cleaned out with 44 K, usually at Napa Auto parts. Currently I'm trying to solve a starting problem. Cranks fine but won't start on first try, like it used to. Any problems have been few and far between until now. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I am over 220,000 miles and going strong. Keep your injectors cleaned out with 44 K, usually at Napa Auto parts. Currently I'm trying to solve a starting problem. Cranks fine but won't start on first try, like it used to. Any problems have been few and far between until now. Good luck with yours.
Model? Engine? Year?

·
Registered
252 Posts

Van hitting 275k miles. Original engine. Just swapped transmisión once. It likely happened since it never had tranny oil changed at 150k.

1541 - 1560 of 1568 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
305 Participants
Finnvoyager
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing