The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1581 - 1600 of 1657 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
southern ones, including mine with a large amount of bare metal exposed, don't really rust at all

the northern ones absolutely fall out from the bottom, i often see three inches or more missing around the entire vehicle including the tailgate

i wouldn't blame chrysler for this though, if you live in a rust prone area with salted roads, and you don't undercoat your vehicle, it's on you

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 DGC SXT 3.8L. Has 184,000 mi. Runs fine nothing major. Just leaks oil everywhere and gets 15 - 16 mpg at best. Anything I should look out for? When should I service the transmission?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Weird, I've got little to no rust on my '01. I wonder if it was just an issue with newer models or more to do with location? Mines been driven exclusively in the south eastern US.
Of course, it is location related... actually snow-salt related! But... the newer models are kind of better protected... time will tell if it is true!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
i wouldn't blame chrysler for this though, if you live in a rust prone area with salted roads, and you don't undercoat your vehicle, it's on you
It is not true... they must ensure ALL their vehicles are protected regardless of your extra measures... the prices should cover extra protection under any circumstances... you should not have to perform any undercoating if they would do a proper job... but they just want you to buy a new vehicle every few years...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I HAD THOUGHT I'D GET A NEW ONE - BUT NO AFTER THE RUST ..
I will get a new used one because it is the best/cheapest option for the money... the purchase, the insurance and the maintenance after... and hope that the new ones are better...

·
Registered
109 Posts
2005 DGC SXT 3.8L. Has 184,000 mi. Runs fine nothing major. Just leaks oil everywhere and gets 15 - 16 mpg at best. Anything I should look out for? When should I service the transmission?
Valve cover gaskets an upstream o2 should help and pretend that there's a rotten egg between your foot and the accelerator

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
In my experience the places for oil leaks are the valve covers, oil pan and front engine seal. As to the MPG's, we need more info. to see if you can change anything. Things to consider: Proper tire pressure, all highway driving, combined driving, any hard stops, floors it when the light turns green, how much weight is normally carried, etc. all effect your gas mileage. I change the fluid in the pan only every 40K by just removing the drain plug. I drop the pan every 80K, or every other trans. service, to replace the filter and fluid that was in the pan. I do check the fluid level and the condition of the fluid every few months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2005 Grand Caravan SE daily driver with 3.3. Purchased used a few years ago for $2000 with 85,000 on her. Now, the addition of another 141,000 miles (total 226,000 for the math challenged) has dimmed neither her spirit, nor her joy of driving. Will I have to replace her? Sure...someday. But for now, it's onward and upward! Hopefully, the impending Ohio winter won't be too hard on her. But, other than some flaky wiring underneath the fuse and relay box, she's given me exemplary service. As has the one before her. And the one before that one, too. All carried me well into the mid-to late 200,000 range. What a vehicle!

DW

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just had to do it and take the attached photo for my 2001 3.3l GC.... Running a lot smoother after recently changing the motor mounts. Hopefully can keep her for another 111,111 miles for the next photo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2005 T&C Signature short. 185k mikes, gotta keep it for a while because I've replaced a LOT in the last year. I do most of it myself and probably spent $1k or more. Van is in tip top mechanical shape but the Wisconsin salt is taking it's toll on the body. It's my work car so doesn't have to be mint but there is something nice about driving a shiny new vehicle. probably that I am not working on it all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 T&C Touring

Just rolled 293.000 miles (471537.792km) this afternoon. Still drive it daily.

It was a Virginia car that has one rust bubble creeping up in the rear lower driver side wheel well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 T&C Signature short. 185k mikes, gotta keep it for a while because I've replaced a LOT in the last year. I do most of it myself and probably spent $1k or more. Van is in tip top mechanical shape but the Wisconsin salt is taking it's toll on the body. It's my work car so doesn't have to be mint but there is something nice about driving a shiny new vehicle. probably that I am not working on it all the time.
Lots of relatively inexpensive CVNs and T&Cs here in Texas. Once you drop your foot through the floorboard (did that one with my Nebraska lived Chevy) just check out CL or EBay and snatch yourself up one to replace it with. If it's a mechanical beater, you have a nice, rust-free shell to relocate your powertrain to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All, I'm amazed seeing all of the issues on here with 4th gen vans! I have an '05 3.3 sxt with 198,000miles in Wisconsin and all it ever needed was two batteries, front disc pads twice, rear shoes once, EGR valve @ 110,000 miles, spark plugs @ 90,000 miles and Opt7 led headlite bulbs from Walmart @ 75,000miles. Has original trans and brake fluid. Change (full syn Walmart) oil at 7 or 8,000 miles. I better go knock on wood! lol :oops:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hello All, I'm amazed seeing all of the issues on here with 4th gen vans! I have an '05 3.3 sxt with 198,000miles in Wisconsin and all it ever needed was two batteries, front disc pads twice, rear shoes once, EGR valve @ 110,000 miles, spark plugs @ 90,000 miles and Opt7 led headlite bulbs from Walmart @ 75,000miles. Has original trans and brake fluid. Change (full syn Walmart) oil at 7 or 8,000 miles. I better go knock on wood! lol :oops:
for the most part, these vans are problem free

remember that places like this have the same effect as review websites, usually the only reason people join is if they have a problem to share

1581 - 1600 of 1657 Posts