The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
661 - 680 of 693 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
I do not see any of the parts you replaced was caused by lack of maintenance.
Why would you change trans fluid and filter after 9,000 miles? and the brake pads after 15,000 miles?

Out of context. I said "didn't care to maintain the car, hence the low price."

He didn't fix the worn brake pads even though they made the indicator noise, he never flushed the trans fluid, it was burned up, tensioner was making noises as well as alternator, never changed cabin filter or engine air filter, sliding door actuator was dead for a couple years, etc etc

His house looked the same way: disgusting mess. He was busy trying to make money with art while his wife was the only real breadwinner, for 6 kids.

· Registered
7,744 Posts
Out of context. I said "didn't care to maintain the car, hence the low price."

He didn't fix the worn brake pads even though they made the indicator noise, he never flushed the trans fluid, it was burned up, tensioner was making noises as well as alternator, never changed cabin filter or engine air filter, sliding door actuator was dead for a couple years, etc etc

His house looked the same way: disgusting mess. He was busy trying to make money with art while his wife was the only real breadwinner, for 6 kids.
OK, more details made the situation clearer but why did you change the trans fluid and the brakes again so shortly? Just curious about what happened :) Was he one of those drivers burning a car while driving? Pushing the gas pedal to the floor followed by strong braking?

· Registered
46 Posts
OK, more details made the situation clearer but why did you change the trans fluid and the brakes again so shortly? Just curious about what happened :) Was he one of those drivers burning a car while driving? Pushing the gas pedal to the floor followed by strong braking?

A flush only removes some 60% of the old trans fluid, a second flush removed more of the burned and nasty oil. Break pads are an ongoing problem with the 2011 due to smaller rotors and a design flaw in the calipers, and I'm not willing to invest more for better brackets / new / larger calipers. With over 7k posts I'm sure you know all this. Anyways...

· Registered
7,744 Posts
A flush only removes some 60% of the old trans fluid, a second flush removed more of the burned and nasty oil. Break pads are an ongoing problem with the 2011 due to smaller rotors and a design flaw in the calipers, and I'm not willing to invest more for better brackets / new / larger callipers. With over 7k posts I'm sure you know all this. Anyways...
Thank you for the response, I totally understood what you did... still, my previous van (2002) had the smaller rotors but I replaced the front brake pads after a minimum of 40,000 miles... mostly city drive... strange...

· Registered
46 Posts
Thank you for the response, I totally understood what you did... still, my previous van (2002) had the smaller rotors but I replaced the front brake pads after a minimum of 40,000 miles... mostly city drive... strange...
The caliper bracket gets easily stuck, so they don't release pressure completely, causing the constant wear, resulting in constantly hot breaks / wheels. I filed the bracket, cleaned it very well, and used some good grease. It's still not right. Pads are cheap, so I just invest an hour and 40 bucks every 2 years.

· Registered
7,744 Posts
The caliper bracket gets easily stuck, so they don't release pressure completely, causing the constant wear, resulting in constantly hot breaks / wheels. I filed the bracket, cleaned it very well, and used some good grease. It's still not right. Pads are cheap, so I just invest an hour and 40 bucks every 2 years.
I assume you never drive far away from home ;) I would not take a road trip with your van...

· Super Moderator
30,425 Posts
169,163 and I don't know how many more this tired old motor has to give 😕
Should make it to 272242

kms ;)

Actually more like 350,000+ km. (y)

· Registered
6 Posts
I do not see any of the parts you replaced was caused by lack of maintenance.
Why would you change trans fluid and filter after 9,000 miles? and the brake pads after 15,000 miles?
He had to get that liberal fluid completely flushed. And, slamming on the brakes to halt progressive policies causes premature wear 😁

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello! This is my first day here and lemme just blow y'alls minds for a sec.

2013 Town & Country
Originally an Enterprise car with 18111 miles
Financed at a dealership and purchased the ADDED CARE PLUS LIFETIME WARRANTY at the same time. Best thing i ever did.
Currently have 407,581 miles on it. Original engine, original transmission!!
Yep you read that right Over 400k!

That said she is struggling a bit right now and needs some things and it's extremely hard to get her in for appts. So I'm here to figure out to fix her myself! 🥰
UPDATE: ::TRIGGER WARNING::
Today I have very much sad face as I am faced with the worst case scenario. 😭😭😭😭 My girl has been at the shop for over two months. The transmission is busted finally after 408K miles. Lost 4th gear. Then was also informed the BOTH cats need replacing.
The transmission SHOULD have been covered by my Added Care Lifetime Warranty but they decided that it would be too much and they have now bought out my service contract for $7k. So now all repairs will be on me. Just the transmission will cost OVER $7k if i have the dealership do it. I'm so freaking sad right now. 😵🥺😭 i think I have to give up the ghost on her. I'm absolutely devastated. 💯 i have been thru a lot since the day the transmission went out. Went to try to get another car the next day and it has been a crazy journey. I am now driving a stupid Ford 😝 okay fine it's not THAT bad but it's not great and it's NOT my awesome van! I had the idea i would just park the van for a while and save the $$ to fix it but... at this point it's just not possible unless i can pull off a bank heist or sell a kidney. 🙈🥴 so yeah. Today is sad and I just want to curl up into a ball and sleep and cry and eat ice cream. But at least i have the 7k to work with. I guess. 🤷‍♀️🙄

· Registered
2 Posts
2011, Town and Country Limited, 145,000 miles. Just replaced both catalytic converters and rack and pinion, one month after a highway road hazard blowout of the driver's side rear tire, tires replaced a year prior. The ceiling console rattles in the back. And just yesterday, the center console elbow slide compartment broke, with only about 2 inches of plastic coming back up. I have the HAYNES car manual and have replaced a few other things here and there. I've even been hit by a deer, all damage has been fixed. This thing doesn't seem to want to die, and for that reason, I think another detailed cleaning is in order. Well, that and all the German Shepherd hair that covers the floor, and muddy paw prints on one of the chairs.

· Registered
46 Posts
UPDATE: ::TRIGGER WARNING::
Today I have very much sad face as I am faced with the worst case scenario. 😭😭😭😭 My girl has been at the shop for over two months. The transmission is busted finally after 408K miles. Lost 4th gear. Then was also informed the BOTH cats need replacing.
The transmission SHOULD have been covered by my Added Care Lifetime Warranty but they decided that it would be too much and they have now bought out my service contract for $7k. So now all repairs will be on me. Just the transmission will cost OVER $7k if i have the dealership do it. I'm so freaking sad right now. 😵🥺😭 i think I have to give up the ghost on her. I'm absolutely devastated. 💯 i have been thru a lot since the day the transmission went out. Went to try to get another car the next day and it has been a crazy journey. I am now driving a stupid Ford 😝 okay fine it's not THAT bad but it's not great and it's NOT my awesome van! I had the idea i would just park the van for a while and save the $$ to fix it but... at this point it's just not possible unless i can pull off a bank heist or sell a kidney. 🙈🥴 so yeah. Today is sad and I just want to curl up into a ball and sleep and cry and eat ice cream. But at least i have the 7k to work with. I guess. 🤷‍♀️🙄
Upload a video with a walk around and the odo showing 408k. Would love to see it.

· Registered
2013 Silver SE, 29E Pkg., Blacktop Pkg., Stow & Go, Keyless Entry, Rear DVD, LEDs, HIDs, 17"s
6 Posts
Mine rolled 117,117 as I merged onto I-20 from I-459 this evening...

· Registered
2013 Silver SE, 29E Pkg., Blacktop Pkg., Stow & Go, Keyless Entry, Rear DVD, LEDs, HIDs, 17"s
6 Posts
What has been your schedule for transmission service so far?
I am going to have the trans serviced @ 127K, I have put 15,200 miles on it since I purchased it 7/2021, and the paperwork says that it was serviced 2K miles prior to purchase.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have ~350,000 KMS on my 11' Caravan with the original motor/transmission. Rarely did I do oil changes or transmission fluid changes. I am only parking it because of #4 injector just went and the body is rusting through. To be fair though the oil cooler has been leaking for years as well as a transmission line. Other than that just the usual parts have been replaced. I am thinking of either using the powertrain for a conversion in my Winnebago Lesharo or cut the rear body off and turn it into a Winnebago.

661 - 680 of 693 Posts