The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I use an app called Fuelly to track MPG on all my vehicles. I was looking at it today and saw my old 05 TC (swb) was actually better than my current 10 GC. I'll post my numbers below but am curious how I'm comparing with what y'all are getting.

2005 Town & Country (swb) 3.3L 4sp 117 fillups and 33894 miles tracked 75% city 25% hwy averages 17.8 mpg

2010 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L 6sp 77 fillups and 18506 miles tracked 63% city 37% hwy averages 16.6 mpg

Obviously the 10 being long wheel base and having stow'n go is going to be a heavier vehicle but I would think the 6sp trans should also be more fuel efficient than the 4sp. Anyway, how are y'all doing on mpg?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,467 Posts
Numbers are useless unles you provide more data, as average hwy. speed, AC on/off, windows open/closed etc.

It is a waste of time if you don't keep track of that info too.

My AC is on all the time, summer or winter.

I never keep track of mileage on any vehicle. Many people post mileage like this, without important data, seems useless to me.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I thought I posted more than most (miles tracked, number of fillups, etc.) I do get your point with some of the other factors. Maybe for a specific trip it would be worth noting but if one tends to drive the same way over the course of months or years, all that should average out. I can add that our A/C is typically on if the temps are over 50 outside. The exception is the A/C is not currently working (hasn't been for about a month now as I'm trying to get that figured out and fixed) so there has been a lot of windows down driving (but that is not typical). Hwy speeds are usually 75 mph max but I couldn't tell you the average because I don't track that on every trip and keep spreadsheets of info, plus these were both my wife's daily and our family trip vehicles so I don't see how I could get her to track all this if I even wanted to. Using the app I have when I fill up each time is the most I can do. I realize if someone is only taking hwy trips with no city driving and staying 5 mph under the limit that they will have better mpg but I'm just curious and provided my city/hwy breakdown hoping to find similar to compare to.

Reactions: LEVY

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,467 Posts
Your numbers looks realistic.

Many people post unrealistic numbers that no one believe are true numbers.

Thanks for posting.

·
Vendor
1,511 Posts
My 2014 T&C runs 15-16 in town and 23-25 on the highway. My 02 with the 3.3 was the same.

Last tank calculated to 14.7. Full AC and in town only, short tripped. Prior to that was 20.1. Same weather, but 75% highway and 25% town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
396 Posts
I'm currently averaging 20.5mpg according to the computer. I'm still on the same tank of gas the van had in February though. Most of my trips are short, no more than six miles round trip.

Considering how few miles I put on my vans I don't expect to ever had a very accurate mpg figure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've seen as high as 26m/usgal... (9l/100km)
But that was a rare 90kph(55mpg) trip for 4hrs...

I normally see 12-14l/100km (19-16mpg) on a daily basis, with long trips getting better than 24mpg... (70-75mph cruising speed with A/C)

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
662 Posts
(I have a 09 3.3L) On average my cluster shows 11-13 liters for 100 kilometers all city driving, when filling up it's usually a liter more then what the cluster shows, comparing distance traveled and fuel put into the tank.

On the highway 8.5-11 liters/100K, although usually comes up to ~10 actually calculating it from the last stop.

If I follow the Trans Canada Westbound from my city, it's mostly downhill, then a small portion uphill, then a long stretch that slopes down and only needs brakes and no gas. I average ~8.3 on the bottom of the hill but I managed to get 8.0 L/100K 2 times. The actual calculation was 8.2 L/100K (but again, smooth driving, and that massive downhill stretch plus the normal downhill 90% of the way so this is unfair. Going back it was 10.8 actual)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
My 2007 GC 3.8L gave me a little better gas mileage than my 2002 GC 3.3L and my 2016 GC 3.6L gives better gas mileage than either one. The engine on the 2016 GC 3.6L turns about 500 rpm slower at highway speeds. The engine on the 3.8L turned about 200 rpm slower than the 3.3L at highway speed. 2200 rpm versus 2000 rpm.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
342 Posts
I also never track fuel mileage .I just make sure my vehicle is up to par far as maintenance and just drive . I knew when I bought it I was going to have to pay for fuel.

The best fuel mileage ( if that's what you worry about ) you'll ever get is to leave it parked . If you drive it it's going to use fuel.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
If you are stopped more than 10 seconds, turn the engine off. That's what they say.
Turn off your ignition if you're waiting more than 10 seconds. Contrary to popular belief, restarting your car does not burn more fuel than leaving it idling. In fact, idling for just 10 seconds wastes more gas than restarting the engine.
Engine RPM comparisons, my experience, highway driving, 110 kph (68.4 mph)
2002 GC 3.3L: 2200
2007 GC 3.8L: 2000
2016 GC 3.6L: 1700
2003 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 5 speed manual: 2000

Guess which burns more gas. :)

Reactions: Michalb

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
342 Posts
Well I've always had vehicles I like. Most could be considered gas guzzlers
When I start worrying about gas mileage that's when I'll stop driving.

There was only one vehicle i owned that I got rid of due to excessive fuel consumption. It was a 67 Buick Riviera 430 4 barrel .Base model no ac no power acc at all.

Burned more fuel than my friends Cadillac Eldorado fully equipped ac and all 472 ci 4 barrel . And that's when fuel was 50 cents a gallon for hitest . More than 45 yrs ago

·
Registered
157 Posts
I average about 20 mpg. I do mixed driving with short trips the norm. I used to track with Fuelly but realized a waste of time. I got the best ever today at 50 mpg :ROFLMAO:. I happened to check out what cluster stated since I had to leave the van running for over an hour with Wife and dogs waiting on me to pickup a few things.(She is a stroke victim.) Anyway I went to go back to odometer and cleared fuel mileage while I was going 40 mph then coasted when car in front decided to turn. The mileage showed 18.2 which h'ad not been cleared in close to a year.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I keep a log book and my 2019 is at 20.4 mpg (US gal) overall, That is about 75% highway and all warm weather.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use Fuelio to track my van. Average 17.344 MPG, almost all short trips. The EVIC is fairly close showing 18-19MPG. On the occasions I take longer highway trips the EVIC starts showing 20-21 MPG pretty quickly.

With the whole work from home thing it's sort of a moot point...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find that all my new cars do worse, both performance and fuel efficiency, than my older cars. It is a trend in my opinion. The manufactures have found ways to optimize for the tests that don't have much in common with real world driving. Again in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
I find that all my new cars do worse, both performance and fuel efficiency, than my older cars. It is a trend in my opinion. The manufactures have found ways to optimize for the tests that don't have much in common with real world driving. Again in my opinion.
Just the opposite here. My 2016 GC is noticeably better in power and fuel economy than my 2007 GC and 2002 GC were,

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I use an app called Fuelly to track MPG on all my vehicles. I was looking at it today and saw my old 05 TC (swb) was actually better than my current 10 GC. I'll post my numbers below but am curious how I'm comparing with what y'all are getting.

2005 Town & Country (swb) 3.3L 4sp 117 fillups and 33894 miles tracked 75% city 25% hwy averages 17.8 mpg

2010 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L 6sp 77 fillups and 18506 miles tracked 63% city 37% hwy averages 16.6 mpg

Obviously the 10 being long wheel base and having stow'n go is going to be a heavier vehicle but I would think the 6sp trans should also be more fuel efficient than the 4sp. Anyway, how are y'all doing on mpg?
I took a ride trip this weekend, going I was at 30 mpg, no a/c going about 75-80, holding mainly at 75. On my return trip I was at 22mpg with a/c on holding at 80mpg. 22mpg seems normal for me. I don't track city driving but think I'm going to next.
I drive an '08 T&C with a 3.3L and 107,000 miles, overall good condition.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts