The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,257 Posts
I've heard of rust, isn't that the stuff that makes Mars red?

Yes, it's over 100° already, but we don't get rust here in Dallas. 436k miles, 25 years old.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Tire

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,257 Posts
Doing anything without airtools is a bear. Just replaced a rear driver side shock. It was a bitch to get the bolts off - there's not room at the upper bracket next to the brake lines to get a wrench on the inner nut. I had to take the top bracket off (all 4 bolts were rusty tight on every turn) to reach both ends of the top fastener , then struggled to get the 2 bolts holding the shock itself- also tight as ****.
What should have been a simple job (6 bolts) took me 3 hours. For ONE shock. Damn rust.

One thing about bolts is they have threads. The upper 4 bracket bolts each started to loosen then got tighter and tighter as they were turned. The last thing I wanted was to twist a bolt off, or ruin the thread in the metal-- there is NO space to work for a broken bolt or thread. Lots of quarter turns in each almost endless, 2 in bolt.
Air ratchet. It won't help break the bolts loose like an impact, but it'll turn then with a decent amount of force, faster than you could with a regular ratchet.
Tool Font Engineering Auto part Electronic device

Reactions: Sienile
1 - 2 of 2 Posts