The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed when changing my thermostat a few days ago, the old coolant was red. This was what I was expecting, as that matched my old '04 Ram and my '09 Ram.

The new bottle of coolant I bought at the dealer is now a neon pink color. Also the bottle did not mention the fact that it is a "HOAT" type coolant, like it did in the past.

When did the formulation change? Anybody heard of this before? I know it isn't wise to mix different types of coolant (especially dex-cool and green types with other long life coolants)

Or am I just seeing the difference in color due to time/age of the coolant?

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
I noticed when changing my thermostat a few days ago, the old coolant was red. This was what I was expecting, as that matched my old '04 Ram and my '09 Ram.

The new bottle of coolant I bought at the dealer is now a neon pink color. Also the bottle did not mention the fact that it is a "HOAT" type coolant, like it did in the past.

When did the formulation change? Anybody heard of this before? I know it isn't wise to mix different types of coolant (especially dex-cool and green types with other long life coolants)

Or am I just seeing the difference in color due to time/age of the coolant?
Does it say G-05 anywhere on the container?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it say G-05 anywhere on the container?
Not that I recall.

I've used zerex G-05 before on my previous Ram. Zerex/Valvoline probably makes the coolant for Mopar, but just add a different tint to it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
This year I have noticed that Prestone has changed their color back to green and states it's compatible with all coolants and all engines. So it's what I used this year and I diluted it myself with distilled water as it didn't seem feasible to buy a mix for the same price when I can have two gallons. This is what they say.

AAPEX/SEMA, Las Vegas, Nov. 4, 2008 — With more than 16 million miles accumulated in fleet tests on extended life antifreeze/coolants, the Prestone technical and engineering team is well-versed in understanding cooling system technology and the needs of today's vehicles.
For those individuals just looking to top off or drain and fill the system, Prestone helps remove the guesswork with its Prestone® 50/50 Ready-to-use Prediluted Extended Life.
Antifreeze/Coolant. Featuring a precise blend of 50 percent antifreeze/coolant for temperature and corrosion protection and 50 percent demineralized water for ideal heat transfer protection, it is formulated for use with antifreeze/coolant in both foreign and domestic cars and light duty trucks, old and new.
The brand's concentrated formula, Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant, is also designed for use with antifreeze/coolant in any vehicle make or model. It's perfect for technicians and DIYers conducting a complete cooling system flush and refill. Phosphate-, silicate- and borate-free, this antifreeze/coolant uses a special chemistry and patented technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for up to five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first) when added to any extended life antifreeze/coolant.
"Our 50/50 formula is a great convenience product for topping off or just draining and refilling the system. But it's really important to use our concentrated formula when doing a complete system flush," said Jeff Bye, Vice President and General Manager, Coolants and Car Care, Honeywell CPG. "When a flush is conducted, some water always remains in the system, therefore in order to get the factory fill recommended 50/50 ratio of water and antifreeze/coolant, you have to use a concentrated formula, and then test the concentration levels with the proper equipment or tools."
The reason antifreeze/coolant and water are mixed at a 50/50 ratio is to lower the freeze point of the cooling system to -34 degrees F and to raise the boiling point to 228 degrees F (or 265 degrees F using a 15 lb pressure cap). Problems that can occur with a 30/70 percent mixture of antifreeze/coolant and water include: a raised freezing point, lowered boiling point and decreased metal corrosion protection. Problems resulting from a 70 percent antifreeze/coolant concentration may include slushing, additive precipitation, water pump leakage, poor heat transfer, overheating, and of course, a raised freezing point and possibility of overheating.
Also, the Prestone team highly recommends that shops and DIYers use distilled, deionized or quality soft water during flush and fills to minimize potential contamination. Ions and impurities that are sometimes present in poor quality water can attack and/or adhere to metal surfaces in hot heat exchangers and cause scale build up. Also, some municipal water carries chloride, chlorine and sulfate, which can cause corrosive issues.
"This type of contamination can contribute to erosion corrosion and lead to decreased antifreeze/coolant flow, resulting in poor heat transfer, cooling system components failure and higher metal and oil temperatures," said Bye.
For more information on the Prestone's antifreeze/coolant offerings, technicians and DIYers, should visit their local parts retailer or log on to www.prestone.com. Distributors and retailers should contact their local Honeywell CPG sales representative, call 800.890.2075 or log on to www.honeywellauto.com.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I don't buy the story that one coolant is good for all. There is a reason for the different variety's.

This is what Zerex currently offers:
original green
Dex-Cool
Zerex G-05(HOAT)
Extended Life
Asian Vehicle

Here is an older chart of Zerex's line of anti-freeze, the link on Zerex's website does not work right now.
http://www.whitfieldoil.com/downloads/ZerexAntifreezeLineupChart.pdf

·
Registered
650 Posts
The Zerex G-05 made for Chrysler is pink from what I recall. The G-05 you buy at the stores is yellow however. I don't think there is a difference in the formulations.

·
Banned
547 Posts
The Zerex G-05 made for Chrysler is pink from what I recall. The G-05 you buy at the stores is yellow however. I don't think there is a difference in the formulations.
From Zerex:

Does the color of antifreeze matter? Can you mix antifreeze with different colored antifreeze products?

1. Color is used by many antifreeze and vehicle manufacturers for identification purposes. Color has no bearing on the performance of the antifreeze. Whenever possible, always follow the specifications in your owner's manual for coolant applications.
http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/antifreeze/102

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
HOAT is not an item with Prestone and Peak, two of the big names. Our local Canadian Tire Stores don't stock HOAT either. HOAT is a hybrid OAT, OAT having no silicates or phosphates, whereas HOAT contains some silicates. A lot of confusion for nothing. To add to the confusion, Ford uses yellow HOAT and Chrysler uses pink/orange HOAT.

The Peak Lifetime product looks interesting: http://peakauto.com/antifreeze-peak-global_lifetime.shtml

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.