The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys update your navigation? If so, how often do you do it? And where can I find the update here in Canada?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
Do you guys update your navigation? If so, how often do you do it? And where can I find the update here in Canada?
I don't believe is worth it.

Not sure, but I believe someone here posted that update is not available anymore.

You should get another response with the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks, do you think it's worth it? It will end up being about $250.00 with taxes and shipping?
Maybe, it depends on how you will using it. If you use it to find local places, a lot has changed in the last decade (assuming the base has never been updated), so an update is helpful. On the other, for travel on highways it can quickly be out of date. If I remember correctly you are in Kitchener, and the 401 is being widened through west Mississauga/Milton to express/collectors, so the GPS becomes hopelessly confused as every stage opens. It's easier to just follow the signs on the highway.

GPS can be quite funny at times when the geocoding is off. I was driving east through New Brunswick and it suddenly said "off route". It thought I was going east in the westbound lanes, which were separated by about 200 yards. Maybe the highway was widened an new eastbound lanes built way away from the original?

·
Super Moderator
6,507 Posts
Thanks, do you think it's worth it? It will end up being about $250.00 with taxes and shipping?
I don't think so.

Factory GPS maps in my experience aren't great. I remember in 2016 driving on a road trip with my buddy in his new 2016 Ram. The GPS was missing an entire new highway that was several years old at the time.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Caravan 35th Anniversary Edition
92 Posts
I have NAV on my 2019 DGC and if I was to do it again I would just buy a Garmin unit with lifetime maps and traffic (LMT noted after the model number). The factory updates are expensive and the factory unit doesn't have traffic. Lastly, the factory unit isn't as customizable.

The only pluses for the factory unit that I see, is that the sound comes through the speakers and you don't have to have anything mounted up above the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts