The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neither the cassette or the CD work in the OEM cassette/CD player in my 1992 Plymouth Voyager. Where can I get it fixed and what would it cost me? Or, does someone out there have the parts and expertise to allow me to repair it myself?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Neither the cassette or the CD work in the OEM cassette/CD player in my 1992 Plymouth Voyager. Where can I get it fixed and what would it cost me? Or, does someone out there have the parts and expertise to allow me to repair it myself?
Greetings. Your best bet is a Pick N Pull if you want the same set-up. My suggestion is to replace with a new head unit. No-one that I'm aware of would repair your old for a reasonable price if at all. Your talking about a 27 year old head unit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lots of places work on older car radios. Some of them also repair things like clocks, seat and window motors, speakers, electronic control modules, and other electric/electronic items. Here's a partial list:

Southern Electronics
730-A Research Rd
Richmond, VA 23236
1-800-446-2880 or 1-804-423-1100
Weekdays 8:00 - 5:30 Eastern Time
Ron Roop, Radio Service Manager
<http://www.carradio.com>
Also do instrument cluster and speedometer repair.
<Nationwide Instrument Cluster Repair and Speedometer Repair>
Repaired tape player on 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager radio August 2014, and added external Aux jack on a cable. External cable on the Voyager radio was a bit clunky - homemade metal block to house the 1/8" jack. Believe it cuts out FM circuit when active. No separate switch for it on radio.
Repaired tape player on Toyota Sienna radio May 2015. (Note: pinch roller on tape player seems to eat old cassettes, so not fully happy with this repair.)

D&M Restoration
57-B Creekside Park Court
Greenville, SC 29615
864-254-9989
800-722-0854
<Radio Repair - D&M Restoration>
[email protected]
Sam-general calls. Patrick Greer-radios.
D&M Restoration provides general repair or full restoration services for classic and vintage car radios from the 1920’s through 1980. (Also do clocks, gauges, speedometer, etc.)

2016: Repaired '65 Olds 98 radio + added modern electronics (Aurora Design FMR-2), converted Olds clock to quartz; repaired 1991 Plymouth Voyager driver's seat motor. One year warranty. Turnaround on radio 4-6 weeks. Did clock in about 2 weeks, Voyager seat motor in a few days. Work on Olds clock and Voyager seat motor was fine.

On Olds radio, work was very expensive, they replaced the fader control without asking (although did return the old fader control) and did not give us a quote first. Patrick was not able to give good answers, and was never able to connect me with the technician to ask why work was done this way, inspite of repeated calls summer and fall 2016.

Joe's Classic Car Radio
201 Woodbluff Rd
Laurens, SC 29360
<Radio Restoration- Joe's Classic Car Radio>
<[email protected]>
Does stock repairs, conversions, speakers. etc.
Warranty: 5 years on restored radios, 2 years on "converted" radios with upgraded electronics.
Good web site.

WARDS CLASSIC CAR RADIO REPAIR
131 CULPS DR
HUNTSVILLE, AL 35811
256-852-0955
<Ward's Classic Car Radio Repair>
E-Mail:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Warranty: one year
Web site is OK.

Classic Auto Electric, LLC
401 N. Carrie Street
McPherson, KS 67460
Telephone: 620-241-6927
<Radio Repair>
<[email protected]>
Repair radios and clocks.
Web site less complete than others.

M&R Auto Electronics

United Radio
Big operation that works with manufacturers and dealers, but also does individual repairs.

Hunt Automotive Electronics
Claim particular Mopar expertise.

Auto Tech Rescue
This place claims to fix just about anything electronic in a car.

These places sell OEM radios and may also do repairs:

More info on updating the electronics with a removable "board" radio in an older radio:
Rick's Radio Conversions
The Aurora Design FMR-2 is what was put in our '65 Olds radio. It works amazingly well. Wish it had the HD feature they now offer. Also see D&M Restorations above.

Speaker Repair
Jackson Speaker Service
3921 Pine Crest Ct
Jackson, MI 49203
517-789-6400
Ron McGee
2-4 days to do a speaker rebuild, $50 per speaker.
Suggested by D&M Restoration
2016: rebuilt front '65 Olds 98 speaker. $50 for repair, $10 to ship. Said was a Craig (aftermarket) speaker.

The Speaker Shop
North Lima, OH
Nick Dorazio
(330) 758-6911
[email protected]
Speaker restoration for home and automotive speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts