The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country base 3.3L
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been smelling gas from the tank area, pretty confident I've got the common cracked fuel pump plastic. I was looking at fuel pumps, and wondering what to buy? I'm seeing these no-name ones online for $55 or local parts stores have Delphi for about $170. Is it safe to try the cheap one?

Another question, has anyone been able to successfully repair the cracks? I've got some flex seal on hand. :).

·
Registered
2006 Caravan 2.4 117K miles
39 Posts
I'm thinking the fuel pump is in the sealed tank...So unless the fuel tank has a leak? You shouldn't smell gas. I would check fuel lines maybe...Good luck on the hunt.
The top of the pump cracks, causing fuel to run down the sides of the tank. I had it too. Replaced with Delphi...not sure about others' success with cheaper pumps.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Yes, don't trust cheap pumps! When my wife worked at autozone she always had a lot of Airtex pumps returned. Delphi - isn't that a GM part, like AC Delco? I wouldn't trust a GM part unless I had to. The OEM pump itself is a Walbro, at least in 2000 it was. A Nippondenso pump should be good quality, as that's what Toyota uses.

Reactions: KOG and Mtfix20

·
Registered
282 Posts
Delphi - isn't that a GM part, like AC Delco?
In the past, yes. GM shaved off Delphi as a separate company in 1999, and the latter's focus became more than car parts. The actual divorce was completed in 2011, and in 2020 Deplhi was taken over by Borg-Warner. Which brings me to...

...the fuel pump replacement on my 2005 Caravan, which I did in early 2015. I bought a Delphi FG0482 (which is the whole assembly, pump/hanger/sender). Imagine my surprise when I pulled the OE pump and it was stamped "Delphi."

To back up virtually everyone else here, don't cheap out. The job isn't hard, but it's a bit time consuming. Do you really want to buy some junk Chinese pump and do the job again in the future?

The Delphi pump is $128-something at Rock Auto. What are these "local parts stores" you speak of? Are those still around?:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the past, yes. GM shaved off Delphi as a separate company in 1999, and the latter's focus became more than car parts. The actual divorce was completed in 2011, and in 2020 Deplhi was taken over by Borg-Warner. Which brings me to...

...the fuel pump replacement on my 2005 Caravan, which I did in early 2015. I bought a Delphi FG0482 (which is the whole assembly, pump/hanger/sender). Imagine my surprise when I pulled the OE pump and it was stamped "Delphi."

To back up virtually everyone else here, don't cheap out. The job isn't hard, but it's a bit time consuming. Do you really want to buy some junk Chinese pump and do the job again in the future?

The Delphi pump is $128-something at Rock Auto. What are these "local parts stores" you speak of? Are those still around?:D
I would be surprised if that Delphi wasn't "Chinese to". Your right it's a job no one should do twice!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I think Walbro is the OEM and has a Denso pump motor in it.

Do it once,

AutoZone has an in-tank pump module lock ring removal / install kit on their Loan A Tool program. I used it and it helped...

I installed the Delphi complete unit and I immediately noticed it was louder that the original. It is still in there though and still pumping. \\
Recalibrate your understanding of when you are BINGO fuel as it will be a new fuel sensor and understanding how many miles remain once the fuel warning light comes on will change.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country base 3.3L
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It's been hit or miss with Chinese stuff, My last 2 gambles paid off - one a starter for my car was $60 Chinese compared to $400 for a bosch. 6 years later and the Chinese starter still working.

I'm going to get the Delphi, Saving $75 isn't worth the risk here.

You'll have to give the local parts stores another look. Many times with Advance after putting in a discount code they're equal to Rockauto pricing.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I replaced the OEM pump at around 268K miles, with a DELPHI FG0425 Fuel Pump & Housing Assembly from Rock Auto. That pump failed, will driving home from work, at 1 a.m. with no warning or anything. (I had to get towed home) It lasted just under 20K miles. I couldn't return it to Rock Auto since they have no Customer Service. Out $130 I went with a Bosch fuel pump.

I went with a Bosch fuel pump, part #BSH67670 for $268. This cost twice as much as other brands, but worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Been smelling gas from the tank area, pretty confident I've got the common cracked fuel pump plastic. I was looking at fuel pumps, and wondering what to buy? I'm seeing these no-name ones online for $55 or local parts stores have Delphi for about $170. Is it safe to try the cheap one?

Another question, has anyone been able to successfully repair the cracks? I've got some flex seal on hand. :).
There is a two part PLASTIC EPOXY that may work. It is an epoxy and solvent weld in one system.
Not only is the pump module a place for a leak but also there are a few places and hoses that could also be causing a leak.

If I remember, there were a few 'qwik connect' hose fittings that I think were a sort of puzzle to de-couple when dropping the tank. Be careful to not damage them as it'll make matters worse.

I presume that your check engine light is ON.
The evap system tests the integrity of your fuel tank by pumping a little air pressure into the tank / hose system and then testing how is HOLDS the pressure.
Congress and EPA concluded that gasoline evaporation nationwide was a big source of pollution (that and tire air leaks) so the automakers created the 'money light' that many people ignore to a fault....

·
Registered
252 Posts
There is a two part PLASTIC EPOXY that may work. It is an epoxy and solvent weld in one system.
Not only is the pump module a place for a leak but also there are a few places and hoses that could also be causing a leak.

If I remember, there were a few 'qwik connect' hose fittings that I think were a sort of puzzle to de-couple when dropping the tank. Be careful to not damage them as it'll make matters worse.

I presume that your check engine light is ON.
The evap system tests the integrity of your fuel tank by pumping a little air pressure into the tank / hose system and then testing how is HOLDS the pressure.
Congress and EPA concluded that gasoline evaporation nationwide was a big source of pollution (that and tire air leaks) so the automakers created the 'money light' that many people ignore to a fault....
You could patch it, but it may not be worth it. My experience has been that pumps are good for 150-200K at most, If you're in that area you might as well replace it now before it leaves you in the road with a high dollar tow bill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts