The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Which are cooler?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m all about appeal and those eye catching subtle details.

Choice 1 are 16X7 American Racing Torque M’s with a +35 offset. This is a fit testing tire but will have Firestone 215/60R16 with raised white outline white letters.

Choice 2 are 15x6 mag slotted steelies with Cooper Cobras 205/65R15, trim rings, and center caps are coming. Going to go taller and wider if steelies win out.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,323 Posts
I like a good factory fitting wheel, but those 5 spokes just look too good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mag clones look good to be sure ....but maybe not the best match to a primal minivan. It's an '86, right?

Are there steelies which resemble any Chrysler product of the era? Did Chrysler even do the trim ring thing?

·
3rd gen > all others
3,769 Posts
Dark gray metallic steel rally wheels with trim rings and chrome lug nuts/center caps look more period correct. The white letter tires bring out the sportiness of it, and contrast the darker rims.

I like torque thrusts, but not so much when they are front wheel drive offset. I put gray anthracite 17" Mustang Bullit wheels on our 2011 Sienna though, as they have a little lip and a more neutral offset. The rust showing through the spokes is a real thing. You have to buy expensive plated brake rotors and refinish your calipers to keep the brakes looking good. Coated parts don't cut it (unless you live in the south with no salt in the air).

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dark gray metallic steel rally wheels with trim rings and chrome lug nuts/center caps look more period correct. The white letter tires bring out the sportiness of it, and contrast the darker rims.

I like torque thrusts, but not so much when they are front wheel drive offset. I put gray anthracite 17" Mustang Bullit wheels on our 2011 Sienna though, as they have a little lip and a more neutral offset. The rust showing through the spokes is a real thing. You have to buy expensive plated brake rotors and refinish your calipers to keep the brakes looking good. Coated parts don't cut it (unless you live in the south with no salt in the air).
To add to that, the big air gap around the rotors with the 16" wheels makes the brakes look tiny. Showing it off is like bragging about having big wheels with no brakes.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
932 Posts
For 100% appeal and some performance, the 16X7 American Racing Torque M’s sure are exciting to see vs the steelies that still make the van look like grandpa is driving it.

The black of the 16X7 American Racing Torque M’s match up with the van's lower black stripe as if it was intentional. The gray steelies not so good. And if the steelies got painted black, then they look no different than the spare tires in the Gen4 vans making the appeal effect to be ridiculous.

So what if the brakes look small thru the 16X7 American Racing Torque M’s. Think of the coooooling effect on those brakes overall. They will not over heat as easy. Still paint the calipers to prevent corrosion. And the Raybestos Element-3 rotor discs would be the final touch of performance and appeal.

That's my 2 pennies. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts