The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 DGC SXT 3.8L.... 270K KM. Ive been on a blitz the past 6 months to clean up any loose items with the van. It came down to this... The van was running normal, but after driving for some time and well warmed up i could hear the power steering pump whining, especially during low speed turning. After some quick research I ended up ordering a replacement power steering pump reservoir. The filter/screen inside the old one was clogged with tiny particles and sludge, limiting the fluid flow into the PS pump causing cavitation.
Easy job... 20 min... Undo nut from reservoir, push washer fluid neck down out of the airbox slot and bend toward engine to create room to slide out PS reservoir around it. Once PS reservoir is in front of alternator, take off cap and drain, i used a combination of small paint tray and bottom of washer fluid jug i cut out to catch the oil. Undo hoses, be careful because you dont want any PS fluid to drip out so keep rags and catch trays handy. Install new reservoir and move back into position by bending the washer fluid neck out of the way again. Finish torque the nut for and secure the washer fluid filler neck into the airbox hole.. Fill PS fluid to max and start engine... Test steering and re check fluid level.
Nice and quiet now, running like new.
Love 5th gen vans!

·
Registered
2010 Routan
35 Posts
Mine is a bit noisy as well. When i first test drove it, i thought there was something wrong with the engine because it whines at idle. The fluid looks old and dirty so I'm going to clean or replace the reservoir first and pray that solves it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
replacing the reservoir also completely fixed mine, had the same whine after long drives

some claim you can simply clean the filter inside the reservoir to fix it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replacing the reservoir also completely fixed mine, had the same whine after long drives

some claim you can simply clean the filter inside the reservoir to fix it
Im thinking i will try to clean the original and save as a spare... My other van is a 2016 and has the same reservoir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts