Super Moderator
27,739 Posts
Bring back the "slant six".

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
Bring back the "slant six".
For what?

You get more HP out of the present 3.6 engine.

3.6 Pentastar engine is also lower, so no real reason to bring back the slant six thing.

It was good back on it's time, not anymore.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
517 Posts
I really liked the slant six in my '83 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Not the fastest thing in the world, but as reliable and as simple to work on as it got. It also got 18 MPG, which is exactly the same as what the 4.3 in my '04 Chevy 1/2 ton gets.

I don't really care about HP. A person doesn't automatically need a high HP vehicle to get where they are going or to pick up building materials at Lowes. Faster vehicles have just enabled more people to drive like complete a-holes. :rolleyes:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
Some people don't understand that HP doesn't necessarily means speed.

Modern small engines generates more HP (payload) than some old bigger engines.

Some people doesn't understand slant six were not designed for pick ups either.

Slant six were only offered on the lower trims of pick ups (cheaper ones).

Real pick up guys would buy one with at least a 318 CID engine, but more likely a 360 or 440.

Back then it was a shame to open the hood of your pick up truck if you had a slant six, at least in Texas.

Slant six was a winner on "some cars", but never on a pick up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chevys were good too. That Chevette was among the last good Chevys. Engine reliability started to decline in the 80s, death trap ignition switch went from early 90s until a few years ago, production of small engines was moved out of the US to Korea in the early 2000s, and a lot more reasons why not to buy a modern Chevy. For a reliable Chevy, make sure it came from the factory with a carb.

GM took Chrysler's 90s reputation and said "hold my beer". Now they make pretty cars that barely last the warranty, if that. Remember the 57 mile Corvette anyone? Got a customer at 600 miles until the end of her warranty that needed nearly $1,000 in work. Thankfully I got her into the dealer before she ran over the miles so it didn't cost her anything. Another Camaro owner doesn't want to sweat this year because his heat is stuck on full blast. We have to remove the windshield and dash to open the air box to replace a $20 air door that broke. His bill, if he chooses to go ahead with it will be around $1,500. He's 1 year out of warranty. I could go on for days on why modern Chevys are crap.

You saved these people a lot of money and aggravation. Geez. I think that would be the last Chevy I would purchase if it was me. :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Funny, Chrysler put slant sixes in pickups for years, and they worked just fine for a lot of people's uses. I even towed a few smaller vehicles with mine.

And, torque is what moves payload more than HP does.

Some guys didn't need to prove their manhood (or lack there of) by opening their hood and showing a v8.;)

·
Super Moderator
27,739 Posts
Some Manufacturers, Mazda and Mercedes. are going the inline six route for certain vehicles. They need tp put a slant on it. :)

Chrysler had the slant 6 in their trucks until 1987, their cars until 1983.

The Chrysler Slant Six Engine (170-198-225)

The 1960 HyperPak option, added a four-barrel carburetor and other parts to push out a V8-like 196 horsepower. Modern racers have used turbochargers and different carburetion and manifolding to produce far more.
Heavy-duty slant six engines used in industrial and some truck/bus (perhaps fleet as well) applications used a double-row roller timing chain, chrome-plated upper piston rings, and other features depending on service duty (polyacrylic valve stem seals, positive valve rotators, stellite-faced exhaust valves, and/or a high-volume oil pump).

Reactions: beat_truck

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
Some Manufacturers, Mazda and Mercedes. are going the inline six route for certain vehicles. They need tp put a slant on it. :)

Chrysler had the slant 6 in their trucks until 1987, their cars until 1983.
Technically, it should last longer due to fewer moving parts.

If it is going to be used in a low profile car, then a slant would be a good option.

City guys first time truck buyers were the main customers for a truck with a slant engine. They had their dream truck at an affordable price.

And yes, those engines lasted, don't remember seen one with a broken rod.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I never intended to use my old Dodge for serious work. It was mostly a toy that I had antique plates on. It was flat black, lowered ~2", and had old Mopar cop car hubcaps and white wall tires on it. It was FAR from mint, but I got a bunch of complements on it. Even with manual steering and brakes, I still really enjoyed driving it. Shame I hit a freakin' deer with it. :mad: Hopefully the guy that bought it ended up fixing it. It was a really solid truck.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,034 Posts
No experience with the Dodge inline 6s other than a couple Jeeps customers had. One was alright, the other was rusted out inside and would overheat in under 5 minutes.

My Taurus with the small inline 6 was a beat though. If they updated that design with modern tech it could probably outperform the 3.6. Inlines are more torquey.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
When you want to preserve someone else's post, quote it. Editing a post will not change it if someone quoted your post (quoted post).

Before moving to this platform, editing your post would also edit your post quoted by somebody's else, not anymore.

I think is better this way.

Moderators still can edit your quoted posts if really needed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
just curious: I was wondering how many miles has anybody put on these vans.

how many does it have now?, how many did it have when it retired?

year

make

model

engine

miles

I'll start
chrysler
town & country LXI
3.8L V6
as of today 140893

chrysler
town & country