The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
It's not THAT bad. Winch it down, use the handle to grab the tire, fold the hook and stuff it through the wheel, then reverse the winch. Would be better if it was a full size though.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
Yeah, I cut a small window in mine so I can access the stem. That reminds me... time to check it again. Been about 2 years, it's probably low.

Reactions: User6573

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Whoever designed the screwy undercarriage compact spare storage on these minivans needs a beating.

That's what I said.
Whoever's twin brother deleted the spare wheel all together and provided a jackless system with a can of air.

I heard a sister designed a transmission without a dipstick to check the fluid level.

The whole family is nuts. :)

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
185 Posts
I thought of doing that as I have the factory hitch on mine, but it would be in the way of opening the rear hatch unless you unpinned it and slid it off. I had designed a swinging arm for it to be receiver mounted but have not have time to weld one up.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Good bug and deer deflector, hood latch security, and keeping track of tire wear solution. (y)
Sky Cloud Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

:)

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
185 Posts
I'd get a ticket for "blocked vision" in 24 hrs. I have seen people with them on the roof though, especially homeless people, sleeping and living in their vans.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
That's good. I know what Im doing saturday morning. Thx.
Make sure you get a large "Christmas tree fastener" before you do. You'll want to use it to lock the rotation on the wheel inside the cover. I had a hole between the lugs on my 16", but my 17" had to use the lug hole. No sense cutting the window if the tire spins around raising it up. :p

Reactions: User6573

·
Registered
7 Posts
When it gets real annoying is when you're one of those people who believe in checking the air in the spare regularly.
I had my '07 T & C for 13 years before passing it on to my daughter and during that time, I would check the spare every 2-3 months and bring it up to just over 60psi. However, I soon got fed up using the factory rod system with the plastic handle so I came up with a simple alternative. I used a 18" extension rod that would normally be used with 1/2" sockets and placed the female end over the square winch 'nut'. I then used a 9/16" ratcheting wrench (the double -ended type) over the male end and found that it was a good bit easier and quicker to drop and raise the spare wheel. Both items were kept under the floor, even with the stow-n-go seat sometimes in place and were easier to access than opening up the flimsy plastic cover in the trunk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts