The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there have been some issues - - some nit picks from the start.
My distain for the 6 speed - - the need for a completely new wiper motor and transmission on a 2016 model vehicle.

But after I found this - -
- 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - - -

and this - -

My jaw dropped!!!

I honestly can't believe that a company in this century would produce a vehicle for families and have this kind of a result. It is deplorable.
40mph is not that fast at all.

At any rate - - - I should have known better and actually did some research, about crash tests.
I normally do - - - - parent brain.

This was our first Chrysler vehicle and will definitely be our last.
They could have made improvements over the years but never did.

I am taking a loss selling it - - however I do not care.

As a side note - - - the lubegard in the transmission has made such a huge difference.
Even the sales persons <two if them> at the dealer we are trading it in for said it was the smoothest shifting Caravan they have ever driven.

I wanted to post this for others, like me, who may not have know how badly this vehicle scored on the small overlap drivers side crash - - I am only assume it will score the same for the passenger side.
Thanks for all the advice.
Take care

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,131 Posts
Passenger side is only slightly better because there's no steering wheel to contend with. But yeah, many of us know about this already. That's why I say, if you ever see yourself getting into a front end collision, don't dodge, ram.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As much as I understand your fear of the vehicle, clearly there's one simple problem .... there isn't enough body strength between the door pillar and the front of the vehicle. Why it hasn't been improved is a good question.

That said, there are plenty of vehicles that have a bad area like this. Shame. Still as a vehicle it represents good value. I specifically wanted a minivan after having a rust bucket very popular CUV. If I had an accident with that, the whole thing would have crumpled. Couldn't afford Toyota etc. And nothing but nothing but nothing would get me into a Kia or Hyundai.

I bought one with a 62TE transmission and haven't had a complaint other than the fact that it provides enough torque to spin summer tires when pulling away!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
What do the tests really mean? What's the real world accident data? What's the insurance cost comparisons?

If you hit a truck, good luck with whatever vehicle you drive except for another MACK.

LEVY is the test pilot here. He uses his Van in enemy territory. Something to be said for that. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do the tests really mean? What's the real world accident data? What's the insurance cost comparisons?

If you hit a truck, good luck with whatever vehicle you drive except for another MACK.

LEVY is the test pilot here. He uses his Van in enemy territory. Something to be said for that. :)
The tests are the only real unbiased method to determine occupant safety.
The data you are inquiring about is not posted publicly.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I honestly can't believe that a company in this century would produce a vehicle for families and have this kind of a result. It is deplorable.
wait until you watch the small front overlap tests for...

any other vehicle on the market.

this is the hardest crash test for all vehicles to do well in, very few do a GOOD job, the large majority are poor or marginal

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait until you watch the small front overlap tests for...

any other vehicle on the market.

this is the hardest crash test for all vehicles to do well in, very few do a GOOD job, the large majority are poor or marginal
I did watch them
Our 2019 santa fe scored good on both sides.....the 3 other mini vans on the market also scored good. Highest rating.
Dodge simply does not care about safety of its drivers......you and me.
The brought the test in 2012 because it was happening more and more to people on the road.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
seems like the new one is doing perfectly fine to me

i'm assuming your van is a 2016 model, by your name, so lets compare it to some other 2016 minivans

the odessey has a good score, the sienna is only acceptable.

the frame in the van you own (owned) is based off a design from 2007, if we're going to criticize chrysler about something let's do that, not claim that they "don't care the safety of it's drivers"

let's remember that it scores highly in literally every other crash test except for the small front overlap

if they didn't care they wouldn't waste money on additional safety features, and the pacifica would be doing no better

whenever front overlap discussions get started i love to bring up this video

closing speed of 67 mph.

the van takes it like a champ, and the car is absolutely demolished, the driver would surely be dead

and remember, that's the design that predates yours.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems like the new one is doing perfectly fine to me

i'm assuming your van is a 2016 model, by your name, so lets compare it to some other 2016 minivans

the odessey has a good score, the sienna is only acceptable.

the frame in the van you own (owned) is based off a design from 2007, if we're going to criticize chrysler about something let's do that, not claim that they "don't care the safety of it's drivers"

let's remember that it scores highly in literally every other crash test except for the small front overlap

if they didn't care they wouldn't waste money on additional safety features, and the pacifica would be doing no better

whenever front overlap discussions get started i love to bring up this video

closing speed of 67 mph.

the van takes it like a champ, and the car is absolutely demolished, the driver would surely be dead

and remember, that's the design that predates yours.
The pacifica is NOT the Caravan.........
I'm not talking about the 40 percent overlap test......
Please read the post and contribute accordingly.
Stay on topic

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
sure, best of luck to you, enjoy whatever you buy to replace it. ☺

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
When it comes to collisions between vehicles, bigger is normally better. There are a lot of RAM trucks on the highway, best one doesn't collide with a RAM, regardless. The chances there are higher than the particular test being discussed.

The Smart car has good test results but ............. (1:40)

So, what does it all mean and how valid are "not quite real life" test results. Indicators, yes, but absolutes, no. I don't drive down the road worrying about my vehicle (Jeep Wrangler TJ or Van) getting in an accident described by the tests. If I did I would get into an accident from being distracted.

How high are the chances of hitting a deer and throwing the steering "under the bus". Any on here that haven't hit a deer? How do the vehicles rate in the "hitting the deer" test? A higher up test - moose? :)

Solution: Don't drive, especially at night. The bad things that can happen to a vehicle driving down the highway makes for a long list and it's best to not have check marks by any of them.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,131 Posts
Deer strike on a small front overlap you say? :p

Bambi's neck was just at the grille when the collision happened. Wife hit it so hard that the front of the body tucked under as the hind legs went in the air. She continued driving for over a mile (I told y'all she's dumb.) before pulling over and calling me. Had to show the officer the dashcam video because she left the scene and the officer thought she might have hit a person.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
145 Posts
I’ve seen this crash test multiple times before and it got me a bit concerned as well. However, you MUST realize how extreme of a test this is. 40MPH is quite fast and you are hitting a solid wall with the whole impact being absorbed by about 25% of the front of the van. This test is very extreme. If you hit anything solid/immovable (building, big tree, etc.) at 40MPH it’s sure to cause lots of damage, especially when the impact area is so small. If you hit another car at 40MPH that’s a different story since cars can crumple and move (which absorbs force). If you were to hit something moveable at 40MPH and 25% overlap, I’m sure the van would do better.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve seen this crash test multiple times before and it got me a bit concerned as well. However, you MUST realize how extreme of a test this is. 40MPH is quite fast and you are hitting a solid wall with the whole impact being absorbed by about 25% of the front of the van. This test is very extreme. If you hit anything solid/immovable (building, big tree, etc.) at 40MPH it’s sure to cause lots of damage, especially when the impact area is so small. If you hit another car at 40MPH that’s a different story since cars can crumple and move (which absorbs force). If you were to hit something moveable at 40MPH and 25% overlap, I’m sure the van would do better.
Honestly
It would be different if other vans had similar results....but they don't.
Only 1 van was worse, that nissan POS.
Aweful, go watch it.
Iihs said it was the worst they have ever seen.

Any rate.
Drive safe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So you are selling and thrashing the vehicle based on events (crash tests) that you have not experienced.

As noted, 40 mph is a very severe crash. You would be extremely fortunate to walk away in most any vehicle..

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you are selling and thrashing the vehicle based on events (crash tests) that you have not experienced.

As noted, 40 mph is a very severe crash. You would be extremely fortunate to walk away in most any vehicle..
That is simply not true....go and read some reports on the IIHS website. If a vehicle scores good you have a very high chance of walking away from the accident.
40 is nothing now, the way people drive.

I am not trashing anything. Just posting info for others, sorry some are so sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Add to that, Post 13, what happens after the collision. Some vehicles bounce around depending on how big, small, stiffness right into the path of something, maybe. The Smart car, a previous Post, did well but bounced around afterward. Take a look. It ain't over till it's over.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a difference in survivable and walking away. I am not referring to what the vehicle looks like but consider the forces on the body regardless of any intrusion into the passenger space. A 185lb person in a 40mph crash, buckled in, would experience forces equivalent to being hit with 15,000 lbs or over 7 tons. Yes it does depend on the angle but is none-the-less severe coming to a full stop in under 10 feet, deceleration forces exceeding 80 g. Just can't ignore the laws of physics.

If you are concerned about crash safety you should be driving a tank \sarcasm off

·
Registered
229 Posts
Going by memory, as its a few years since I saw the results, but the Honda, Toyota, and Caravan had pretty similar results in real world, statistics.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going by memory, as its a few years since I saw the results, but the Honda, Toyota, and Caravan had pretty similar results in real world, statistics.
Some might be interested to see these real world results you are speaking of, where did you see this?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts