The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,859 Posts
Sometimes the door placard pressure is too low. The ambient temperature is a factor as well. Tire pressure should be adjusted based on wear also.

36 psi or 38 psi at midday, or after driving, could very well be 34 psi in the cool of early morning and no driving. For every 10F rise in temperature, there is a 1 psi rise in pressure. Shops don't allow for that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The reasons why my tires may have worn out early seem to be:
1. City driving
2. low tire pressure, possibly due to crazy temperature swings here.
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires) - however, I'm still waiting for a reply about that.
4. not using nitrogen
5. not being as lucky as Levy. :) (just kidding there)

Did I miss any?

·
Super Moderator
22,859 Posts
1. City driving
2. low tire pressure, possibly due to crazy temperature swings here.
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires) - however, I'm still waiting for a reply about that.
4. not using nitrogen

Did I miss any?
Your big reason is low air pressure/lack of proper air pressure management.

Softer rubber doesn't apply for all season tires. Every all season tire has the M+S symbol, but not the mountain snowflake symbol.

Winter/snow tires tend to have softer rubber and they have the mountain snowflake symbol.

LEVY is a very lucky guy, IMO. He leads a good life. (y) :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,556 Posts
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires)
4. not using nitrogen
Did I miss any?
I usually fill my tires with 38 psi of nitrogen. When I travel, I rise it to 43.

That might help too.

My N.Gen. now shows 43 Hrs. I guess I left it on.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Do you think if I tell the guy I want them at 38 that he will do it? Or do I need to find a friend who will do it for me? ( I have disabilities, in case anyone didn't know).

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,556 Posts
Do you think if I tell the guy I want them at 38 that he will do it? Or do I need to find a friend who will do it for me? ( I have disabilities, in case anyone didn't know).
Yes, as long as you have good tires and don't go over the tire pressure rating.

·
Super Moderator
22,859 Posts
Yes, he/she will. Your may want to do some calculations though based on:
  • time of day the air is being added
  • any additional heat in the tires because of driving
  • A change of about 10F will change pressure reading by 1 psi.
Here's what my 2016 Owner Manual says about tire inflation:
Tread Wear
Improper cold tire inflation pressures can cause abnormal wear patterns and reduced tread life, resulting in the
need for earlier tire replacement.

Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure
is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least three hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of three hours.

The cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall.
Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with
temperature changes.

Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind
when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter.
Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition.
Starting with 38 psi (instead of 36 psi) and 32F as a reference outside temperature locally, I make calculations as to what the pressure gauge should be showing at the actual time of observation.

You have likely been effectively running 33 to 34 psi in your tires.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,556 Posts

Starting with 38 psi (instead of 36 psi) and 32F as a reference outside temperature locally, I make calculations as to what the pressure gauge should be showing at the actual time of observation.

Really? :oops:

I never do any "calculation", just check the tires before I drive for the day.

Every time I check tire pressure is ok.

·
Super Moderator
22,859 Posts
Really? :oops:

I never do any "calculation", just check the tires before I drive for the day.

Every time I check tire pressure is ok.
Depending on the season of the year the average cool 7:30 am morning temperature may be say 32F. I could be checking the tires in the afternoon when the temperature is at 52F. My 38psi at 7:30 is now 40 psi. per calculations, and that is what I expect to see. My nitrogen free tires are wearing even. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

Wow, I read through the owners manual but somehow missed that that was there. Thanks so much for pointing it out!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts