The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I just returned from a 3,000 mile road trip. Spending that kind of time on the highway, you tend to notice many trends. One thing that stood out is the number of minivans driving around with the center of the tailgate bashed-in. Damaged as if it took a hit from a cannonball or a drop-kick.

The damage is limited to the center of the tailgate, the general license plate area. Bumper, tail lights and glass are all fine and unscathed but the tailgate is hurtin'.

Anyone have the answer to this mystery? Is a swift kick to this area a way to unlock a minivan tailgate? I saw hundreds of these during my trip, and I must know the answer. :cry:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Probibly because of people who dont know where their van ends, and run into things. I've noticed this too that the rear bumpers are in tact but the tailgate is banged in.

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
Probibly because of people who dont know where their van ends, and run into things. I've noticed this too that the rear bumpers are in tact but the tailgate is banged in.
I've noticed on 4th gen's especially the corners of the plastic bumpers will be pushed in.

People really need to learn better as to where their rear end is lol

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Parking spaces are too short. Ford trucks back into them to protest minivan production. :blink:

Hey Benny, I had one of those dents in the right end of my bumper (backing up in the turning area of my driveway and the snow I thought I was easing into was, in fact, ice). A piece of 2"' x2", about a foot long, and a hammer got rid of that dent on a warm day. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
I wouldnt doubt that SUVs and pickups run into them because those vans arent "big" enough to see...

lol
:lol: Maybe it only happens to black vans in the dark.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can think of few vehicles with a bumper high enough to hit this spot. It's waist-high on most minivans. That, and to hit ONLY the center of the gate?? You'll all start seeing these more and more now that it's in your head. It's very odd.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
When you close the tailgate, where do you push at?
Center of the gate, right.....

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Should never push on one of those powered liftgates. They may push back. :eek:

I believe most dings and dents in vehicles are happening in parking lots. They use your vehicle as a back stop or a door stop.

Haven't noticed any abundance of dented tailgates around here. Lots of pushed in corners on rear bumpers though.

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
Parking spaces are too short. Ford trucks back into them to protest minivan production. :blink:

Hey Benny, I had one of those dents in the right end of my bumper (backing up in the turning area of my driveway and the snow I thought I was easing into was, in fact, ice). A piece of 2"' x2", about a foot long, and a hammer got rid of that dent on a warm day. :)
lol you mean the Ford Trucks from the early 90s that are about a foot off the ground and have no wheel covers and have plenty of rust on them lol.

Good to know so it can be fixed if it happens to my mom's van lol.

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
lol you mean the Ford Trucks from the early 90s that are about a foot off the ground and have no wheel covers and have plenty of rust on them lol.

Good to know so it can be fixed if it happens to my mom's van lol.
Those Ford trucks whose headlights shine right through your rear window directly into your rear view mirror.

Some of those truck drivers forget they have an extended bumper or towing hitch on board.

Heat is a big help when removing dents from the ends of plastic bumpers ... hair dryer stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Ford trucks back into them to protest minivan production. :blink:
Within 2 weeks of our 98 being brand new, a ford pickup backed into the passenger fender and left a deep but not wide dent. The driver then sped off and we never got the dent fixed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I have the answer.. Mine looked like that once too. When you pull in the garage and raise the tailgate it DOES hit the garage door. My wife didn't realize how it got dented until I came out one day to carry groceries in and I asked her to look at the tailgate from the d-way. $400 beans later its fixed. She now pulls in until the tennis ball touches the windshield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The garage door sounds likely to me. When I bought my 03 used, the area above the license plate was pushed in slightly but It was so neatly and evenly done that I asumed it came that way until I looked at other vans and realized that it didn't.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Someone in a 2003 Town & Country backed straight into my van a few days ago:

:mad::mad:

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks, hopefully they are paying for it!

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks, hopefully they are paying for it!
You better believe they are. I don't know how you can't see a big white minivan in broad daylight. :jpshakehe

·
Registered
527 Posts
You better believe they are. I don't know how you can't see a big white minivan in broad daylight. :jpshakehe
They'll probably hold you liable for interrupting a very important phone call. :nut:

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
They were attracted to the light coming off of your white minivan lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts