The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
During the first year of useage,the 87 Voyager V6 where I worked was hit from behind by a local garbage truck.It pushed in the left side of the gate right above the bottom edge for about a foot across.The body shop did a poor repair job,filling it with bondo and painting the gate (ice blue) right over the original finish without scuffing it first.Paint started peeling within 12 months.

Also,a local female (aka drunk female) rear ended a Grand Caravan at night with a mid 80s full size Blazer.This wasnt just a tailgate dent though,the damage took out the entire rear end,and impacted the 3rd row seat,killing the elderly female sitting in it.The driver got 3 years in the womens prison.Just goes to show,even these vans can be hard to see....especially if your as drunk as a skunk and your night vision is poor.Although the garbage trunk incident was during a Sunday afternoon (yea,the business owner shouldnt have been using the company vehicle on the weekend,thats my thought)....but that "garbage man" was pretty old and messed up...and was known to drink a bit as well....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I got hit from behind by a 1987 Chevy Corsica. bumper went in but popped right back out as for the tail gate no such luck! It was a lite tap but i had to replace lift gate which was not closing properly.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Well I have the answer.. Mine looked like that once too. When you pull in the garage and raise the tailgate it DOES hit the garage door. My wife didn't realize how it got dented until I came out one day to carry groceries in and I asked her to look at the tailgate from the d-way. $400 beans later its fixed. She now pulls in until the tennis ball touches the windshield.
It almost happened to me but I just got a light scratch :)
As it was said, I just saw bumpers hit in the corners, the size a little more than a tennis ball... last winter a lady hit my rear bumper in the center but all I got was a few inches scratch which I later decided to cover with some reflecting red tape. We went to the dealer body shop and they asked for $400 to repaint the whole bumper... the lady paid and I saved $400 minus $5 paid for the tape :thumb: A new bumper cost was $570 + $400 to paint it, so the lady was also happy to pay $400 only.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You better believe they are. I don't know how you can't see a big white minivan in broad daylight. :jpshakehe
You'd be amazed on how stupid people REALLY are :ask_wsign

The idiot that hit my wife and took off is still at large. He just better hope that I dont find him first. Unfortunately I have a feeling that will never happen, but I believe in Karma.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that in minivans, you typically back up using your side mirrors, leaving the area right in the middle blind, and anything lower than the rear window is invisible. I really appreciate the back up warning buzzer and lights on our 05 TC LTD. They don't tell you much for things right on the corner, but the mirrors tell you that. You can get this as an add on attachment at the Chrysler accessory website, if you are interested.

·
Vendor
180 Posts
I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that in minivans, you typically back up using your side mirrors, leaving the area right in the middle blind, and anything lower than the rear window is invisible. I really appreciate the back up warning buzzer and lights on our 05 TC LTD. They don't tell you much for things right on the corner, but the mirrors tell you that. You can get this as an add on attachment at the Chrysler accessory website, if you are interested.
Having the rear backup camera in my 09 DGC has been VERY helpful when backing up! Especially out of my tight squeeze of a garage with limited backup room and an active garage behind me as well as a walkway on the driver's side too.

The fact that the wide angle camera sees "around corners" is GREAT! I'm still using the side mirrors, but I'm also checking the dash display for anyone/thing behind me.

I've got some experience backing up larger vehicles since I used to work for an airport parking lot in Boston and Avis rent-a-car. Mostly driving oversized vans to deliver people to their airline/pick em up.

Backing up with the Sebring Convertible isn't anywhere near the issue...of course, being able to eliminate all blind spots with the push of a button helps. ;)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
my 03 had a small dent toward the bottom of the tailgate, too. When I first noticed it, I asked all of the drivers in my family and nobody knew how it happened. Probably said F150 in a parking lot.

I hit it with a wire brush and primer, and some touch-up paint. It looked kind of funny, but it never rusted. It's still there. I see the van from time to time.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Having the rear backup camera in my 09 DGC has been VERY helpful when backing up!
I also have a rear backup camera (from CTire) and is very good for small kids always 'hiding' lower than the rear window, exactly when I back up from my garage. In parking lots I always avoid parking in reverse... or I try to find double spots so I can go through at exit ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
I try to find double spots so I can go through at exit ;)
Me too. Backing up is about the worse thing you can do. That's where a lot of people collisions and fender benders happen.

Guess one could get one of those back up alarms. :biggrin:

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
I personally have concluded that is the first sign of old age, when you have to pull in three times to park in a space. I will share this with you from my lease car company (Buick). They stated that over 80% of the accidents they experience are in backing up out of parking spaces. They encouraged us to back into parking places instead of pulling in. The logic being, there is usually nothing behind you but a curb when parking, but pulling out, who knows, the person across could be pulling out, a van parked next to you, etc. I have found that it is less stressful for me pulling out when I am facing out. But in Walmart, you may end up being shot if you pass a space and try to back in to it, so there is a balance there somewhere.

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
I personally have concluded that is the first sign of old age, when you have to pull in three times to park in a space. I will share this with you from my lease car company (Buick). They stated that over 80% of the accidents they experience are in backing up out of parking spaces. They encouraged us to back into parking places instead of pulling in. The logic being, there is usually nothing behind you but a curb when parking, but pulling out, who knows, the person across could be pulling out, a van parked next to you, etc. I have found that it is less stressful for me pulling out when I am facing out. But in Walmart, you may end up being shot if you pass a space and try to back in to it, so there is a balance there somewhere.
This is why you find two where you can just pull right on through. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
All the dented tailgates I've seen also are accompanied by a trailer hitch, at least of the class 1 variety.

I always assumed that the dents were just poor judgement on hooking up the trailer, even though for most of them, the trailer's tongue would have to be extremely high, as though they originally had it hooked to a full size truck. I beat up my Father's license plate for awhile, until I got used to the new trailer and his S-10.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dent is an imprint of an early '90's Mazda pickup. He was tailgating me at 85mph and I let him taste steering wheel.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
My dent is an imprint of an early '90's Mazda pickup. He was tailgating me at 85mph and I let him taste steering wheel.
Does this mean you brake-checked him? lol.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

like this? I snapped this t'other day.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Another garage door person here. Noticed a dent right above the silver bar in back one day, wife had no clue how it got there (uh-huh) about two weeks later as I was pulling in she was opening the back hatch and then hit the garage door opener also, so door van door was going up and garage door was going down and crunch (just barley as I got there to stop it) but it was in the exact same spot as the dent that was there and I could tell by the dent that this is what had happened the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does this mean you brake-checked him? lol.
I can speak for all of central PA, when I say that the dumbass drivers of these minivans do not really know how to drive them that well. I see so many....I thought I was the only one who thought this was a thing....since it's now 2020.....this thing has been around a while.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
I can speak for all of central PA, when I say that the dumbass drivers of these minivans do not really know how to drive them that well. I see so many....I thought I was the only one who thought this was a thing....since it's now 2020.....this thing has been around a while.
Towing a trailer will stop that. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts