The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have some shifting issues in my 96 3.3l GV.

Sometims (three so far) it won't go above 2nd. All of the times it has started after after about 20 minutes of driving coming into town. Doesn't stop by it self, though I haven't driven more far with it. Next day it works fine again.
Revved it to like 5000 and didn't shift.

Speedo starts acting up at same time, occationally the needle drops. Car studders sometimes.

All has happened in the last week. It was serviced (including gearbox fluid and filter) two weeks ago and driven a 1000miles to the Netherlands. So now I'm a 1000miles from home with a car that is acting up:blink:

The fluid isn't burned, looks just fine. Doesn't slip either which makes it feel like there is hope for it.

Any tips? Electrical gremlin? Speed sensor problem?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check your input and output sensors for loose connections, culpurt is probably the output sensor. Also check make sure solenoid pack connector could have moisture in it causing the limp mode. Stopping and turning engine off, wait a minute or 2 and restart sometimes this helps.

I believe the output sensor activates the speedo and shifting.

Was ATF+4 fluid used when serviced???

How many miles on vehicle??

Have you checked for any codes with the key dance???

Do a search in this forum, it has been talked about before hopefully you will find more helpful info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!!
I had comletely forgotten that function. It's not normal on european cars and I normally stick to old BMW's.

It shows some codes! And if I've found the right information they are:

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
32 EGR gases not working (1988) - check vacuum, valve
21 Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change (stays at 4.3-4.5V). Probably bad oxygen sensor
15 No speed/distance sensor signal

Guessing the guys servicing the car disconnected the battery.
32 and 21 seem a little strange, runs good and passed emissions quite recently. Do the code stay on until being reset?

15 yeah output speed sensor definetly seem to be the problem.

Drove it some more today and right when the speedo started hesitating the problems start. So this seem to confirm it.

Right now I'm completely out of tools, so I have to get some.
Is the sensor soldered on or just a cable lug?

Isn't it placed on the front side of the gearbox, under the air intake?
Any online wiring diagrams?

Don't know what fluid was used, has 200k on it. I've been in Holland since december, my wife left it the shop. I just flew home and drove down with the family. That's why I didn't service it myself.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Code 15 is totally your clue because according to the service manual diagnosis, a code 15 is the output speed sensor which tells your transmission computer how fast and what gear your in and if your computer cant see that it doesn't know what gear your in and if this sensor is bad, the engine computer PCM cant tell the speedometer how fast your going and your cruise wont work either, so for a few bucks, you can toss in a new sensor it looks like if you remove the air cleaner housing it would be a lot easier to get at you'll need a 1" deep socket. From what I read, any chrysler FWD overdrive transmission output speed sensor will work from any year 1989-2007 and even the trucks use the same sensor because my neighbor said that his van was acting up and to verify it he found the output sensor on his 1999 dodge cummins was the same and it fixed his van so he then knew to spend the money on a new sensor which set him back like $30... a bit too rich for me, I would have just gone junkyard hunting for a used one

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for replying so late. But I found the problem to be bad connection on the output speed sensor.

·
5000 Club
5,753 Posts
Great to hear about an easy fix from time to time. Those extra Euros in your pocket feel good don't they. Good call in post #3 tempfixit. And hey, thanks for posting the fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts