The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2006 Town & Country (3.8L, 163,000 miles) to dealer to diagnose a rough idle condition after I ruled out all the usual suspects. They found low compression on cylinder 2, so I had them pull the head thinking the valves might be pitted or burned. They reported the valves are fine, but the cam lobes and lifters on cylinders 2 and 4 are worn, so the engine will need to be overhauled or replaced to the tune of 2-3X the value of the vehicle. I happened upon a brand new 2006 3.8L Pacifica engine for sale for a good price and am wondering if it can be altered to fit my T&C by moving the EGR valve from the right head to the left head. There's a cover plate over the port on the left head where the EGR valve is located on a T&C. Of course the wiring harness would need to be re-routed and the left head EGR tube from my old engine used. Does anyone know if there are any other differences (i.e. engine or accessory mounting points, water port locations, cam gear and sensor, etc.) between the 3.8L Pacifica engine and 3.8L T&C engine that would prevent it from fitting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had previously reviewed that article by Doug Anderson in Engine Builder magazine which gave me hope that the EGR valve location may be the only difference between these engines.

Do you know if anyone has an online tool (paid or free) for cross referencing engines? Hollander seems to sell only electronic books and subscriptions for late model vehicles, and they are quite expensive. ($695 - yikes!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts