The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fix my driver's window on my 2000 Sport that hasn't worked since I bought it and had read in the archives to try holding the switch down while slamming the door to jar the motor. Strangely enough this time the window was already open a crack and when I hit the switch the window went all the way down and would not come back up. I removed the door panel (after I finally discovered the two hidden screws at the bottom) and the inner door covering fell out in pieces.

I was able to get the window to go back up in stages by pusinig it up from below while working the switch, but it was hit or miss whether the motor ran in either direction and it got pretty hot. I cleaned all the connectors with contact cleaner except the motor connector which did not want to come off; is there a release on this connector that I can't see? I didn't want to break it by forcing it.

No amount of spray lubing the slides and window channel would make it work reliably, so I left it at the top and replaced the door panel without the clips - just the screws so it would be easier to remove again to replace the regulator.

Then I did another archive search and found a posting in 4th gen forum about cleaning the motor. I'd like to try that but need to know if the 4th gen window motor is the same as the 3rd gen, and how that darn motor connector comes off. I may end up having to replace the regulator anyhow, but it seems worth a try if cleaning the motor might get me by.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just replace the entire regulator assembly, it's pretty easy to change.
At Autozone the entire assy was only $5 more then the window motor.
As for the motor elec connector I'm not sure what the issue is.
If it has a red locking tab in it, pull that out to the side and unclip the connector.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regulator assy at Advance Auto comes with a new motor already attached.
And you might look at Rock Auto on the computer, if you really want to save a few bucks on the assembly..
I just put in a regulator assembly in my 96, and it is not too bad to do.
Look back a few weeks to see my commentary concerning this.
and .
You could of course have a switch that is failing too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replace the entire regulator assembly, it's pretty easy to change.
At Autozone the entire assy was only $5 more then the window motor.
As for the motor elec connector I'm not sure what the issue is.
If it has a red locking tab in it, pull that out to the side and unclip the connector.
Hope this helps.
No little red sliding lock - just a red sort of rectangular loop that does not have a locking function that I can see.

Checked ebay and half a dozen have a new aftermarket assembly with motor for $40 and free shipping; anyone have experience with an eBay unit or have a recommended eBay supplier?

I ran the van into the garage so I can pull the door panel again without worrying about the storm that is trying to wind up here, and I might pull the motor unit off the regulator to get a better look at what is going on with the connector and maybe try cleaning the motor before I order a new one.

BTW, the whole inner door liner had fallen apart and came out the bottom in pieces; any problems with leaving it off or should I glue some 6 mil plastic film where the liner was?

·
Registered
104 Posts
No little red sliding lock - just a red sort of rectangular loop that does not have a locking function that I can see.

Checked ebay and half a dozen have a new aftermarket assembly with motor for $40 and free shipping; anyone have experience with an eBay unit or have a recommended eBay supplier?

I ran the van into the garage so I can pull the door panel again without worrying about the storm that is trying to wind up here, and I might pull the motor unit off the regulator to get a better look at what is going on with the connector and maybe try cleaning the motor before I order a new one.

BTW, the whole inner door liner had fallen apart and came out the bottom in pieces; any problems with leaving it off or should I glue some 6 mil plastic film where the liner was?
The plastic inner door liner is a water shield, so "yes" you should replace it with a good plastic substitute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts