The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Mexico last week. At a federales check point, my driver's window went all the way down for good.

Bought a new window regulator. Installed it today.

I believe the old one was made in Italy, looked like spaghetti.

·
Vendor
1,527 Posts
My 02 did that a couple times. Shutting off the van and restarting it always worked to get it back up. I did end up changing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 02 did that a couple times. Shutting off the van and restarting it always worked to get it back up. I did end up changing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Different when it just stops working. Mine snapped and window went all way down. Yours was just the motor, mine had some plastic pieces broken.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That has happened to me 2 or 3 times now. I can change it in about an hour. I think the window regulators are very weak on the 5th gen vans but I am not sure why.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That has happened to me 2 or 3 times now. I can change it in about an hour. I think the window regulators are very weak on the 5th gen vans but I am not sure why.
it's the exception that a window regulator or motor is strong on any vehicle

this is a mechanical failure of the actual regulator assembly, which i think is more rare, usually the motor just gets weaker and weaker until it can't move

on old fords power windows are great but the power locks all go bad

it seems like with these vans the power locks do great but the power windows are weak

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it happened to me on both, 2017 GC and 2012 T & C.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Normally, slamming the door and pressing the switch at the same time, will jar a stuck motor into operation.
LEVY's bargain basement van had a coronary artery problem.
Gotta stop spitting out that window LEVY, use the Passenger's window instead.
:)

Reactions: Pgh_AL

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally, slamming the door and pressing the switch at the same time, will jar a stuck motor into operation.
LEVY's bargain basement van had a coronary artery problem.
Gotta stop spitting out that window LEVY, use the Passenger's window instead.
:)
The only time I roll down the window is at toll booths, check points and international bridges, which is very often.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Hope your spaghetti like failure isn't typical. Might make for a pretty cold trip up here. What did you do, drive with no window covering the rest of the way or put some plastic over the opening?

Some older Hondas use to have the window drop problem, sometimes breaking the glass.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
550 Posts
That happened to my oldest daughter's 2010 Escape a couple months ago, but it was the left rear door window. Window rolled down, dropped all the way in, wouldn't roll back up. She paid a shop to fix it after I took the door panel off to verify the glass was OK and saw the broken regulator.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope your spaghetti like failure isn't typical. Might make for a pretty cold trip up here. What did you do, drive with no window covering the rest of the way or put some plastic over the opening?

Some older Hondas use to have the window drop problem, sometimes breaking the glass.
Yes, this is typical.

I had no choice but to drive with the window down.

At least it not happened on my way to Puerto Vallarta this week, I'll be traveling with vehicle full of stuff.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Hopefully the corrosion protection sprayed inside the door panels will lubricate/protect things enough that this doesn't happen to my van.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully the corrosion protection sprayed inside the door panels will lubricate/protect things enough that this doesn't happen to my van.
Don't know, if FF helps plastic to stay flexible for longer time, that might help.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
598 Posts
it's the exception that a window regulator or motor is strong on any vehicle

this is a mechanical failure of the actual regulator assembly, which i think is more rare, usually the motor just gets weaker and weaker until it can't move

on old fords power windows are great but the power locks all go bad

it seems like with these vans the power locks do great but the power windows are weak
My godfather used to have 2 Lincoln Town cars, I swear I changed ever single motor and regulator on both those cars several times each. Finally found there was a rebuild kit for the motors. Lincoln rivets the regulators to the door, and rivets the window to the regulator. Drilling rivets out of a window is sketchy. But, he had his dogs ride around everywhere with him, they were probably pulling down on the windows with their paws.
Similarly, my mom told me that my stepfather had to have the driver side regulator replaced several times in the Grand Voyager I inherited, it was a constant point of failure. I've had the van 70,000 miles now, and it hasn't had any issues with the front windows, although I've replaced the rear vent motors more times than I can count.

I think some people are hard on window regulators, and are unaware of it. Perhaps they ride around with an arm out the window, and put pressure on the top of the glass.

Reactions: Baron and Jeepman

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Old american cars had very good and reliable window regulators.

Motors were strong but eventually failed.

Manufacturers now have to deal with strong safety regulations.

People used to get hurt due to window regulators being way too strong and too fast.

My neighbor's son lost two fingers while playing with the windows.

So now, windows must reverse direction if something gets on the way. Manufacturers now make some weak regulator parts as precaution in case the main safety feature fails.

People always blame manufacturers stating that they are cheap to save money.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
They say that if one is driving in Mexico and lowering and raising the window, to wave at the Señoritas , static builds up and the window regulators fail at check points. I have a feeling that isn't true, I may have heard it on Fox. :)

Reactions: LEVY and CdnTinker

·
Registered
119 Posts
The same thing happened to my 2008 GC. A good temporary fix is to get the window worked back up. I got hold of mine with pliers, using a tissue for padding. Then you can use tape to hold it up.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The same thing happened to my 2008 GC. A good temporary fix is to get the window worked back up. I got hold of mine with pliers, using a tissue for padding. Then you can use tape to hold it up.
That is a good temporary idea. Problem is, in always in the road, use toll roads as much as I can. Then I cross the international bridge at least twice a week, I need that window to work propeely.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
598 Posts
Replace the door handle with a mail slot. Or, just replace the regulator...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts