The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For us the folks that live in areas where it snows, twice a year we prep our vehicles for the worst weather and with that, this past friday I installed my winter tires on my T&C.

Wheels are 17x7 et 50 with some pacirica sized 235 65 17 tires.

I must say I love the look of steel wheels on any winter set up for any car.
Here are some pictures.

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Those OEM mud guards? The roads I drive are so nasty my doors are grey and black from the trim line down. Road crews not allowing for asphalt to fully cure before opening roads to traffic has me with black squiggles directly behind my wheels.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those OEM mud guards? The roads I drive are so nasty my doors are grey and black from the trim line down. Road crews not allowing for asphalt to fully cure before opening roads to traffic has me with black squiggles directly behind my wheels.
Amazon sells mudflaps that are likely made from the OEM molds but they do not have the Chrysler logo on the bottom, which is fine, they were cheap. I have larger ones which I may be switching to because of theis exact reason you mentioned, they don't do a good enough job to protect the sides. I may install them over the OEM ones or remove the OEM and install the new ones which are just large flat pieces.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have a picture handy but I put the Nokian Outpost APT in 235/65/17 106H on the stock wheels 2 weeks ago. They're fantastic so far, absolutely wonderful in the rain, quieter than I expected for such a deep aggressive AT tread and with the higher load rating they handle quick cornering moves with aplomb and confidence and the ride is actually more plush than it was with the (worn out) 102H tires that were on it when I got it.

I really can't recommend these highly enough especially if you drive in mixed conditions and with the condition of the roads around N America a tire this tough is a good thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For my 2017 DGC SXT:
  • Summer tires are stock steel rims, plastic chrome hub caps and 235/60R17 Yokohama AVID ASCEND 103H. Yes. Diameter is 1.4% smaller than recommended factory 225/65/17 size. Great tires for summer time hauling / towing.
  • Winter tires are stock steel rims, NO plastic hub caps (that hold snow/ice behind them) with 225/60-R17 – Toyo OBSERVE G3-ICE (103T). Yes. The rubber is 3.2% smaller diameter than recommended factory size. Perfect tire size for diluted winter month's gas.

This works for my DGC....

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,041 Posts
For our '08 T&C and our previous '09 GC: same all-season tires on the stock wheels year-round. :) We don't get a lot of snow here in Maryland, and when we do I have no problem driving in up to several inches if necessary. I prefer to stay home until the roads are plowed, which is pretty quick around here anyways.

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
General Altimax RT43 here. They are fantastic in the snow! I’ve always loved snow tires, but just can’t justify the cost anymore. We don’t get snow all winter, rather, we have storms here or there. My AWD Rogue is perfect in stock form for those occasions.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

I sure wish I could claim the Gladiator behind me in the picture as mine!

·
Registered
1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3.0 FWD "Wanda"
52 Posts
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71’s 27x8.5x14. In the SE our winter is usually just a rainy sloppy mud fest. Road noise is surprisingly low for these to be such an aggressive tread. I gained close to an inch of ground clearance over my tiny summer tires, and have already posted about how much more capable these made Wanda. Hopefully I’ll get to check em out in the snow but who knows down here.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71’s 27x8.5x14. In the SE our winter is usually just a rainy sloppy mud fest. Road noise is surprisingly low for these to be such an aggressive tread. I gained close to an inch of ground clearance over my tiny summer tires, and have already posted about how much more capable these made Wanda. Hopefully I’ll get to check em out in the snow but who knows down here. View attachment 68747
I think these are the best looking vans. My 95 was awesome, except for the transmission. Nice van!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thanks and SHHH! I do not speak of the T word
The transmissions are fine, so long as you've been doing the fluid/filter changes at the 15-30k intervals they require. I beat mine on the road, off road, and regularly towed heavy loads behind it, made 205k miles before it finally started giving issues.

As far as snow, well........
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Snow Wheel

Let's just say they won't stop until you have no tires contacting the ground.

·
Registered
1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3.0 FWD "Wanda"
52 Posts
The transmissions are fine, so long as you've been doing the fluid/filter changes at the 15-30k intervals they require. I beat mine on the road, off road, and regularly towed heavy loads behind it, made 205k miles before it finally started giving issues.

As far as snow, well........ View attachment 68773
Let's just say they won't stop until you have no tires contacting the ground.
Last fluid exchange for this baby was topping off what came out swapping the passenger side axle, well that and topping off to compensate for the shaft seal failure on that side. Not sure what the previous owner did to it over the 200k before I got it. Rear brakes
are next, I don't think they've ever been touched. I've got a tranny filter kit, new pan with drain plug just waiting in my cart.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For us the folks that live in areas where it snows, twice a year we prep our vehicles for the worst weather and with that, this past friday I installed my winter tires on my T&C.

I must say I love the look of steel wheels on any winter set up for any car.
Here are some pictures.

View attachment 68641
View attachment 68642
I like the look. White van, chrome trim, black pillars with dark windows and lenses.
I live in in a place were it snows maybe twice a year and I have never ever put snow tires on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think these are the best looking vans. My 95 was awesome, except for the transmission. Nice van!
I had a 91 gen 2 with the 3L 4spd for over 20 years. Never changed the trans fluid, never had a problem. Smooth shifting no noise no slippage. In its later years it did develop a slow leak though so I had to add ATF-4 once in a while I guess that's kinda like changing the fluid.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tires rock. Not as good as my Quattro on winter tires, after all FWD limitations are there but even on ice road, with the michelin X Ice I was able to take off with gentle throttle without any issues. Most important issue was stopping prior to installation so now the brakes work very well.

Gotta hate all this salt on the roads.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just curious; how do you manage your winter wheels & tires with the TPMS system? Do you have TPMS sensors on your winter tires or no; and if so, do you have to have them programmed to the car?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just curious; how do you manage your winter wheels & tires with the TPMS system? Do you have TPMS sensors on your winter tires or no; and if so, do you have to have them programmed to the car?
The TPMS can handle 2 sets of sensors at once.
For mine I just use Schrader sensors, then van reads them immediately when started, so there's no need to screw around with programming or anything.

Just install the winter wheels, start the van, boom, sensors are reading.

Come spring, I'll reinstall my summer wheels, start the van, and boom, sensors will be reading.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The TPMS can handle 2 sets of sensors at once.
Just install the winter wheels, start the van, boom, sensors are reading.
That's awesome; I had no idea they auto-synchronize with the vehicle. I always worried if I rotated my own tires, the sensors would think the front tires were the back, and vice-versa. Apparently that's not how that works, and the van figures out which tires are where, correct?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wheels and tires came from a Pacifica so they had the wrong sensors. I used my spare tire jack and the hitch on my SUV to release the bead and swap out sensors from a Pacifica which I got on Ebay ((5) NEW OEM 56029398AB 68241067AB CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE TPMS TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR | eBay) for about 50$ for 5 with the proper part numbers. Resealed the tires and installed them, once I drove 1/4 mile the readings all showed up without programming. Likely due to proper part numbers and whatever protocol they use to send the information.

Think of it as if the Pacifica sensors read the information in Spanish, but the T&C can only understand English. I tried manually entering the Pacifica sensor IDs in the T&C computer but it did not matter. Just have to get the right sensors. Tire shop wanted 25$/wheel to install the sensors. In reality it took me around 25min to do all 4 of them.

Part Numbers.
(5) NEW OEM 56029398AB 68241067AB CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE TPMS TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
2022 BATTERIES!! MADE IN THE USA!!

Black Bicycle part Tool Font Auto part

1 - 20 of 27 Posts