The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving this evening and all of a sudden my wipers came on by themselves also noticed I have no turn signals can't figure out what's going on has anyone else had this problem. This is a 2010 touring Town & Country. will pull the fuse for the wiper may try to unhook the battery and see what happens

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts
I was driving this evening and all of a sudden my wipers came on by themselves also noticed I have no turn signals can't figure out what's going on has anyone else had this problem. This is a 2010 touring Town & Country. will pull the fuse for the wiper may try to unhook the battery and see what happens

Usually due to wet fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Weak battery can mess up the electrical works, creating the haunted vehicle syndrome. How old is the battery?

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
If battery is good enough to start the engine without a problem, then it is very unlikely.

But a faulty alternator might.
Yes, I should have said weak / defective battery. I believe a cell can be bad and the engine will still start (10+ volts). You are the battery expert though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery is only a year old. I disconnected the battery wait a few seconds and reconnected it everything seems to be fine. Voltage on the battery however does show 12.6 it seems low

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Battery Characteristics:
During starting a healthy car battery voltage should be 10v or higher. Cold weather needs to be considered as this will decrease the voltage and increase the amount of power to turn over a cold engine. The voltage, when the engine is running, should be in the range of 13.5-14.7 volts.
A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts or above. When the engine is running, that number should be between 13.7 and 14.7 volts.
If the battery is reading at 12.4 volts, then it’s 75% charged. At 12 volts, it drops to 25%. Once the battery reads at 11.8 volts, it’s considered to be completely discharged.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,620 Posts
I once had those symptoms, plus headlights stuck on low beam. Had to pull fuse for wipers. Got home and disconnected battery, reconnected and horn sounded and wouldn't stop - at 11pm! Had to pull horn fuse too. Reconnected battery again, cautiously put horn fuse back in and it was silent. Took to dealer for air bag recall and to diagnose this problem, and they found a broken cruise control switch/button in steering wheel. Was that really the problem, or was it coincidental? Less than a year later the van was totalled, but the air bags worked!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts
Battery Characteristics:
During starting a healthy car battery voltage should be 10v or higher. Cold weather needs to be considered as this will decrease the voltage and increase the amount of power to turn over a cold engine. The voltage, when the engine is running, should be in the range of 13.5-14.7 volts.
Yes, I should have said weak / defective battery. I believe a cell can be bad and the engine will still start (10+ volts). You are the battery expert though.
A 10v battery will not start your vehicle. At 10v your battery is dead, very dead indeed.

What they meant is, your battery might show 10v when you are cranking the engine.

You can believe all you want, but you engine will not even crank if battery is 10v, not even 11v.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
A 10v battery will not start your vehicle. At 10v your battery is dead, very dead indeed.

What they meant is, your battery might show 10v when you are cranking the engine.

You can believe all you want, but you engine will not even crank if battery is 10v, not even 11v.
For the sake of argument: Lowest voltage I can still start my car?
1) It's not voltage that determines whether you can start the car, it's the starter's ability to deliver amperage. A volt meter will only give you a rough idea of the state of charge assuming that the battery is known to be in good condition. The volt meter will tell you nothing about the condition of the battery.
3) Depending on the battery condition, the voltage that will allow the engine to turn over changes. A battery with 5 good cells and one bad cell may only read ~10 volts but still be able to turn the starter. A battery with all six cells in good shape that reads 11 volts, however, would almost certainly not be able to spin the starter.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts

For the sake of continuing with this argument:

Do you know who that Zenmervolt is?

That site is just another forum, those are forum members replies, I never take forum members replies as the final word,

That site is not even about vehicles or batteries, that site is about PC's.

Consider this:

You have a "six light bulb pack" connected in series.
You have a "six battery pack" connected in series.
One of your light bulbs fail and goes out.
One of your battery fails and goes out.
Your whole light bulb pack fails.
Is your battery pack still working?

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts