The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Wipers keep running after key removed

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wookie0586 
#1 ·
It was raining tonight and I had my wipers on. After turning off the van and exiting the vehicle the wipers continued to work.... I tried several trouble shooting options.
-Played with the switch... but they keep going... low and high settings.... intermittent does not work...
- I removed fuse/relay and they stopped... wait a few minutes and replaced the relay... they started again (non stop).
- I unhooked the battery terminal... they stopped... replaced terminal and they started again...
All of this is with the key removed and the doors closed and locked....
Any help would be appreciated.....
Thanks ... Great Forum

#2 ·
Do a search on wipers on this sight. There is some kind of interesting behavior they exhibit when there is a problem with one of the circuits or the modules. I think you will find something.

#3 ·
The park switch in the motor seems to have died. If the BCM was having an error, it would have stopped wiping with removing the battery. Have the wipers ever had problems with the switch set to the intermittent modes?

#6 ·
BCM = Body Control Module.

How old is the battery? Are there any other electrical gremlins? I think that Police Interceptor may have the right idea, though. However, batteries that are about to give out can cause all sorts of odd electrical behaviours. Wiper misbehaviour is one of them, as are gauges acting as if they are possessed by the ghosts of the John and Horace Dodge.

#5 ·
I had similar issues with my 3rd gen. Take apart the motor, clean all the contacts, pack it with new grease. Then checked the connector under the hood and make sure that all the pins are inserted into the connector correctly. Mine weren't and I think it was making poor connection which was causing all the issues.

#7 ·
The battery is not too old... 1 or 2 years...
I will try what has been suggested with the conectors.... (clean, check etc...)
Taking apart the wiper motor seems like it won't be too much fun but I will try that as a last resort. (getting at it seems to be the hard part... its cold now here in canada and I will have to work outside in my driveway... brrrrrrrrr...
Thanks to all but I am still hoping someone has that magic resolution .... like kick it in the right front tire.... :)

#9 ·
I would be thinking the park switch in the wiper motor as Andyg said

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.