The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a friends 98 T&C with a problem where the wipers will not turn off. If you cut the ign switch off they will park but when you turn it back on they start back up. If you pull the fuse or on relay they stop and stay off untill you turn on the wiper switch again. Is this a common problem? I also have the problem with the I/P going dead with the ABS lamp on ans the P1698 code set in the computer. I believe I can fix the solder joints for this but are the wipers related? Both problems started around the same time. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
27,252 Posts
I'm working on a friends 98 T&C with a problem where the wipers will not turn off. If you cut the ign switch off they will park but when you turn it back on they start back up. If you pull the fuse or on relay they stop and stay off untill you turn on the wiper switch again. Is this a common problem? I also have the problem with the I/P going dead with the ABS lamp on ans the P1698 code set in the computer. I believe I can fix the solder joints for this but are the wipers related? Both problems started around the same time. Thanks.
Sounds like the on/off relay for the wipers is bad. If like the 4th Generation, the relays are interchangeble. Try the horn relay or the wiper slow/fast speed relay in there.

Take a look at this Thread: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/20647-Front-wipers-staying-on?

Reactions: 98t&c

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jeepman, I tried swapping the relays and there is no change. I am wondering if there is a problem with the wiper motor park position. I just want to make sure it can't be rewlated to the I/P problem. I'm going to try to get it in for the I/P repair and see if it helps.

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
Here's one opinion by a Master Tech. Specifically this paragraph:

"Finally, these minivans suffer from another type of problem—wipers won’t shut off. This is almost always caused by either a bad MFS or a corroded PDC. In fact, I’d put my money on a corroded PDC, especially if the wipers shut off sometimes and not others. That’s a sign of corrosion." http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvic...er-minivan-wiper-problems—diagnose-and-repair

Read a thread on another forum where the guy pulled the MFS apart, cleaned it and applied dielectric grease to it and the BCM connections. It did the trick.

Reactions: dun4now
1 - 4 of 4 Posts